It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So Im On Anti Depressants....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Firstly, im not sure where to post this so MODS feel free to move

I have been suffering from panic attacks and general anxiety for some time now and I was always turning down medication as I don't fully believe taking a pill every day in life is the answer, but things have got worse and I decided to give it a shot.

Today I went and spoke with my GP, he offered me Citalopram

en.wikipedia.org...

I took the offer, as things have not been good lately and a friend of a friend suffered from the same anxiety problems as I do and she said they did help her. From what I have read up on the drug, it is safe, can help and seems to be ok, but.....

I just don't know, are pills really the answer? i would like to do more exercise but part of my anxiety involves the fact i can't always go outside due to panic attacks, so perhaps these would help?

Im just curious as to what people on ATS think, i know most are against big Pharma and all the pills, but are they all that bad?

Also, has anyone else had such problems, if so, how did you deal with them? Has anyone taken this particular drug either?

Just asking, i have never heard of the drug, I know it will not work over night, but living with anxiety can really bring your life to a halt, stop you from enjoying life, I really just want to be normal and if pills are the answer, perhaps its the last option, but its still an option.

Any advice will be taken on board. Thanks

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I don't think you will get anything more than just opinions here. I would suggest, you do some research or ask a Doc that you can trust.

I wish you well!

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I've been on Citalopram and it is "safe" but watch your Kidney's and liver, it can cause some trouble there, it's nothing to worry about, I had elevated results so they just switched me to the newer Escitalopram.

Try to get it out of your mind that taking pills is a bad thing ok?
I know there is somekind of stigma will mental illness and depression but look at it this way... if you had a broken leg, you'd put it in a cast, if you lost a lot of blood, you'd have a transfusion, if you had a toothache you'd have it removed...

They really will help, what they do is level out your moods rather than fluctuating from highs to lows and it will help to lower your anxiety levels.

I was on them for a few years and I decided myself to stop taking them, so they're not addictive, so don't worry about that either.

I hope things get better for you.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by thedarktower

Only you can decide whether or not taking it is going to help.I'm not going to get too much into it,but I had the same problem(s). I was prescribed celexa by my dr and yes it helped.A lot.If you do decide to keep taking it give it time to work.I wish you well

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I think pills are never the answer. But that's just me. I had a pill problem and it took a lot of fight in me to get off them. Whatever pill you agree to take make sure your body wont become chemically dependent on them. Because lots of pills are "safe" until the dependency forms.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
thanks for the replies people, and yeah, i know what it does to us males, or can do!! hopefully i miss that part

i will try them starting tomorrow, and if it works, great, but i know it will take a while and some life style changes to over come it

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

If you do consider taking it, take it very consistently as per doctor's recommendations and DO NOT ever think about taking yourself off it without consistent communication and advisement by your doctor.

I was lucky when coming off Paxil by myself some years back, but coming down off Citalopram without doctor's advice almost had me offing myself. Luckily it didn't last too long and I didn't have any of the other cessation issues.

My personal view - as I've been pharma-free for years now other than painkillers when needed for dental/surgical work, etc. - is the less medication, the better (PERSONAL VIEW ONLY, RESEARCH FOR YOURSELF AND SPEAK WITH A DOCTOR)...and I feel that depression and the like are usually a symptom of something that you need to change in your life, not the root problem for you to dose directly - fix what needs fixing, don't just patch it over with drugs...and if you DO get on to or use drugs, be very very cautious and aware of unintended consequences and proper use.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Hey pal , anti-depressants suck! THey mask the problem and don't fix the root cause . But always consult with your doctor first .

Here is a great documentary that may shed some light , on other methods of dealing with it .

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32
I think pills are never the answer. But that's just me. I had a pill problem and it took a lot of fight in me to get off them. Whatever pill you agree to take make sure your body wont become chemically dependent on them. Because lots of pills are "safe" until the dependency forms.
Agreed but not Citalopram

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedarktower
thanks for the replies people, and yeah, i know what it does to us males, or can do!! hopefully i miss that part

i will try them starting tomorrow, and if it works, great, but i know it will take a while and some life style changes to over come it

Well you wont see any changes as a result of the Citalopram for a few weeks.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedarktower

Well you wont see any changes as a result of the Citalopram for a few weeks.
Correct, it will take 2 - 3 to kick in and form the levels required.

Nobody wants to be on drugs but sometimes you just have to do it to help, like I said, you'd take treatment for any other illness so why not mental illness? Doesn't mean you're any less of a human being or somekind of outcast, do what you need to do to get well and good luck.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

im on schizophrenia medicine because the government planted nanobots in my brain to project reality to confuse me into beleiving the things i see/hear are not real.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
im in the same position, im on 40mgs of fluoxetine a day and i very rarely get anxiety attacks now, depressions lifted a bit but not as much as idv liked :/ anti depressants WILL take a couple of weeks to kick in so you probably wont notice anything for a while other than getting tired an hour or two after taking them
edit on 15-2-2012 by ShaithisFerenczy because: no reason given

link   

link   
reply to post by Mister_Bit

I just feel pills are being used as a quick fix. I have no idea about the OP's history or treatment plan with his dr. But in a general sense, I feel the pharmaceutical companies are pushing their pills like never before. They buy dr's off ( this is a fact, my best friend is a dr in the air force and he gets taken out to dinner by pharmaceutical reps on a monthly basis) to prescribe their pill and as a result we have mis-informed patients taking whatever their dr's give them.

I think pills should be a last resort treatment plan. If all else fails, then sure give the pill a shot.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

reply to post by Mister_Bit

I just feel pills are being used as a quick fix. I have no idea about the OP's history or treatment plan with his dr. But in a general sense, I feel the pharmaceutical companies are pushing their pills like never before. They buy dr's off ( this is a fact, my best friend is a dr in the air force and he gets taken out to dinner by pharmaceutical reps on a monthly basis) to prescribe their pill and as a result we have mis-informed patients taking whatever their dr's give them.

I think pills should be a last resort treatment plan. If all else fails, then sure give the pill a shot.
Pills are only part of the treatment, they help level out your moods instead of falling into a deep black depression, which I did, the results of which I ended up on suicide watch in hospital.

Pills aren't the complete answer but they put you on a level playing field so you never drop so low to harm yourself.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by nuttin4U

a star for u sir XD

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

yep, i know there are many areas i need to look at, one of them is definately my diet. I do not eat regular, or eat the correct balance of healthy foods i should. Though sometimes i feel so low i just wont eat or snack instead of eating a good healthy meal. I know i need a kick up the arse to be honest with my eating and exercise, but hopefully one step at a time i can get into that way of living. Thanks for the advice

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join