It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RIDE's top cop suspended for alleged intoxication

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

RIDE's top cop suspended for alleged intoxication

www.cbc.ca

The officer responsible for the Toronto police's impaired-driving prevention program is suspended and under investigation after some of his subordinates reported he appeared to be intoxicated at work..
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.torontosun.com
www.cbc.ca

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Canada - Toronto

The RIDE program is a tool of the Ontario Police (As I believe it is used outside of Toronto as well) to check drivers for intoxication while driving.

The Police set up check points and quickly speak to drivers, administering breathylizers to people who come under suspicion.

Now their Top Cop is under fire himself for possibly being intoxicated at work.

This seems to happen with so many moral crusades, where the people supposed to be railing against something, are doing it themselves.

Recently, RIDE was in the news also because they were unhappy about citizens warning others on Twitter and Facebook where their checkpoints were set up. Of course, one person I remember said, 'if someone is sober enough to check on twitter where the RIDE program is, they probably are sober enough to drive'.

The program, while it is used to deter and prevent alcohol related driving accidents, also causes a lot of backlog on the motorways.

See additional links for more on the story.

TORONTO - The head of Toronto’s RIDE program has been suspended from his job and placed on administrative duties for allegedly showing up at work smelling of alcohol, says the chairman of the Toronto Police Services Board.

Supt. Earl Witty, a 38-year Toronto Police veteran, who headed the force’s Traffic Services Unit, appeared to be impaired last Friday morning at work and was later sent home.

www.cbc.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

This doesn't surprise me at all. We have a cop around here that does some "work" for a few local organizations/establishments. His "pitch" is that he can keep the RIDE program away from the venues that pay him, so that the patrons/clientèle can drink/spend money at the establishment. I've been watching this for the last few years and I have seen many people get behind the wheel that shouldn't. One or two drinks all night, hey no problem, three or four an hour for a few hours, big problem and it doesn't matter if you report it.

There are scumbags in every department that will overlook the criminal activities or illegal interference by their fellow officers. That's not to say all cops are bad, just most of them.

Cheers - Dave

join