It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warning to older people

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
This post is to make light of what it is like to get older. It is not meant to rile up those with real problems but to teach those that have kept most of their marbles.

When you get older you will make a fool of yourself if you try to act young. The young expect you to act old, the midle aged people need you to bail them out once they have erred. If you have no money they need you're wisdom and compassion.

This one starts with an example. My daughter visited her friend living at home and her mother asked her how her trip to India was where she studied yoga. She told her it was good and explained what she did. When my daughter came home she told us that her friends mother was having problems with remembering because she asked her again what she had asked her six months ago. I explained to my daughter that she wasn't understanding the situation right, which she finally started to understand after an hour conversation. Her friends mother was just trying to make conversation on something my daughter had interest in. She didn't remember what my daughter had said to her before because she REALLY WAS NOT INTERESTED in it. She will probably ask the same question of her next time she sees her. My daughter could not percieve that others were not interested in what she thought was great knowledge so found flaws in that person. This happens all the time in society here in the USA. Sooner or later you will start to believe you are loosing it if people start treating you as if you can't remember things. Don't fret, just tell the young you chased you're dreams years ago and they are allowed to chase theirs as you did.

When you get older don't keep talking about the past to the young. I know you wish to tell them how it was simpler and less stressful but they can't comprehend this kind of world easily. They will start to think that you are getting Alzheimers and will stick you on pills. You will start to wish that life was so simpler again and forget what is necessary to live in this changed world. This leads to you deleting the memories that were created recently and makes you try to recreate what you percieve as the best part of you're life. If you have Alzheimers than you go down hill faster and the recreated memories may have flaws to them because some of their content was initially ignored and replaced with things you have read or heard. It's not bad to forget things. The memories of our youth are stored in older more protected parts of our brains. That's why we regress to these memories when things go wrong. Some of the chemistry in the foods inadvertantly causes the alzheimers to become more active by causing the body to create proteins that break down the neurons. Trying to find this chemistry is part of my research but the articles are extremely complicated and there is some evidence of what's causing it but I don't think anyone really knows for sure. There has been much jumping at straws done in the past and researchers don't want to make mistakes that cause other problems.

We don't have to be sexually active when we get old if we don't want to. Don't let them convince you that life will be better if you take a pill. Rekindle the relationship with you're spouse naturally by going out and doing things together. That doesn't necessarily mean you should be buying two "Kindle Fires" either. The internet can sometimes help older people be happier though by social interactions with others of similar interests and can help stimulate you're relationship with you're spouse. Once older people find a renewed purpose in life it raises the energy of the spirit which in turn helps keep microbial overload at bay. Most bacteria don't eat food with life in it, cells with lots of energy can't be eaten. There are some that can eat life but these can still be treated by some antibiotics. Depression causes energy loss and lowers resistance to disease. Don't worry about keeping up with the jones's, you are not sick just because you're hormone levels are low. Our male bodies use estrogens for repairing our bodies and when repaired our bodies produce testosterone again. Studying plant extrogens and hormones is complex and genetic specific.

I'm hoping others will have experiences or knowledge to help others that are getting older. If you have enough Sisu you will live forever.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
the brain becomes less coherent after early 40s. Prompting me to say there is nothing worth while about a person's mind just because they're old. Unless said person has practices techniques to reverse this coherency loss.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by biggmoneyme

What you say is partialy true about peoples minds losing function. I'm not interested in knowing facts though, I'm interested in changing facts. Just because there is a correlation of this in people doesn't mean it has to be that way. It will take much research and thought on my part to find a cure. I sorta know why this happens but stopping it from happening can be complex and simple at the same time. Remember the saying, "For every reaction there is an equal and opposite reaction."

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I'm over 50 and I must say my mind is as sharp as ever, maybe more so.

Now, if I can just figure out who put my cell phone in the refrigerator..... oooo! cup cakes!

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

sometimes being a little forgetful can be fun. Chocolate helps you to forget things you want to forget. Use this information wisely in you're life

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
So whats wrong with talking about the old days? I am 50 and still listen to the old timers talk about how it was for them. I value their outlook and opinions as much as my own just as I did when I was 18. I get it that younger people dont always want to hear how it was, I didnt always want to hear it either. But we only can learn from the past if you really think about life. Everything you know or believe is from past experence or teachings or listening.

As far a sex goes I may not be as how can I say "athletic" as I used to be, but observeince of you partners needs goes a very long way. The animal part of sex is pretty much just for the animals, the human part is way above and beyond a good pounding.

Not sure I understand your warning since you have an older daughter yourself OP. Maybe I got you wrong?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Im 62 right now I am rebuilding the network I take administer two HP DL380s configured as a failover cluster 3 virtualized servers ERP, AutoCad, Exchange and an iSCSI SAN, my degree is in Psych and I have never taken a computer class - I get to work in a replica of James Deans Porsche Spyder (0-60) in 4.5 seconds. Still relevant after all these years.

Gettin old dosen't need to mean you are losing it.

And yes I do ask questions about things I am not interested in just to make conversation.
edit on 15-2-2012 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I'm 42 and spend my days repairing computers. I process about 60 per week ranging from laptop motherboard repair to simple format&reinstall jobs. This requires a lot of concentration multitasking on five to six different computers daily, EVERY DAY (except weekends) OF THE WEEK. There are times when I don't immediately recognize someone who just walked in, but with a client list of over 2,000 individuals I don't think I can honestly be expected to. I'm not losing my edge, I have more clarity now than I did 20 years ago. It's true that the knees & back can be a little sore at times but it's nothing I can't deal with. I'm in my 2nd marriage to a woman 13 years my junior and we have an 8 year old and a 6 year old. We take them to the park, and I play WITH them instead of just watch them. A lot of it has to do with attitude, and I refuse to sit back and feel old when there is so much living yet to do.

*edited for clarity because I'm *kinda* old
edit on 15-2-2012 by sykickvision because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join