It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newly discovered temple in Abydos, Egypt

page: 1

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Animal Mummies Discovered at Ancient Egyptian Site (livescience.com)

The site is a recently uncovered possible temple, thought to be dedicated to Seti I, and containing numerous animal mummies and a wooden statue thought to be the female pharaoh Hatshepsut.

A wealth of new discoveries, from animal mummies linked to the jackal god and human remains to an enigmatic statue, are revealing the secrets of an ancient holy place in Egypt once known as the "Terrace of the Great God."

The mysterious wooden statue may be a representation of Hatshepsut, a female pharaoh who ruled the land 3,500 years ago, the researchers say. She was typically portrayed as a man in statues, but this one, giving a nod to femininity, had a petite waist.

CREDIT: Image courtesy North Abydos Votive Zone Project

Among the tombs in this "mystery building" were these faience shabti figurines, which revealed the fingerprints of the children thought to have made them.

CREDIT: Image courtesy North Abydos Votive Zone Project

More at the source.
More on the Egyptian holy place of Abydos, courtesy of sacred-destinations.com.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Female pharaoh huh...that, sir, is one gigantic kitchen then. I kid!

Honestly, this fascinates me, as possibly my favourite topic. Ive had a coupl3 strange 'de ja vous' trance visions of a crystal clear memory involving me walking calmly through the halls of some ANCIENT temple. So old that I fear it predates what we conceive to be human history. I lack the words to describe the sensation this memory gives me, sadly. This post seems crazy familiar to me, ty for sharing.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   
1. Interesting as it is, I still think that copying slabs of work from other websites and only adding two sentences of your own, neither of which offer any original opinion or thought, is poor form.

Among the tombs in this "mystery building" were these faience shabti figurines

The "mystery building" is the Seti I site (3200 years old), and the figurines come from the Thutmose III site (3400 years old), a different place in the Votive zone.

Newly discovered temple in Abydos, Egypt

No, its not newly discovered. at all.
The article says no such thing, and below (see link) it is said to be discovered in 1996 / 1997.

HERE is a website for the project, put together by the researchers themselves.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

It's two paragraphs and site etiquette allows up to three, but whatever.

No, its not newly discovered. at all.
The article says no such thing, and below (see link) it is said to be discovered in 1996 / 1997.

The "mystery building" as they are referring to it, is a portion of an monumental building along the 'Terrace of the gods', but this area was only recently excavated to reveal these artifacts. It was regarded as perhaps a storage area, but now the researchers are rethinking that, and considering it may be a temple. From team member Pouls Wegner: "It looks much more like a temple plan".

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

I find your post to be perfectl fine. I enjoyed it and thank you for sharing. Whoever was complaining-already forgot their name (darn, right)- is what the hip hop culture refers to as a 'hater'. Like, they come up a sniffin your backside to ensure no foul odors are emitted, while their breath reeks of rudeness and unecessary policing.

Im new here, though. If this forum is plagued with such assholes, i wont be here long (darn, right).

Anyway, i enjoyed it. Was exactly why i came to ATS and i thank you for sharing, blackmarketer. I can almost smell the ancient air as i run my hands along ageless limestone. Sandstone? Whateverstone.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Cmon what gives. Im guessing someone pissed on a post of yours at some point in a similar fashion? Back off and be quiet unless you contribute to a discussion. Jesus loves you.

Oops, unless you ARE the time police. I hadnt thought about that.

edit on 15-2-2012 by threewhiteeyes because: last line. didnt consider the possibility.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Thanks Blackmarketeer

Yeah, always good to read about more being learned about the AE!

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Cheers, Hans!
This site is so important religiously to the AE that every corner you turn, there's something new to discover. I can recall when first getting into ancient architecture, especially in Egypt, of coming away with certain impressions (sometimes inaccurately) imbued by a western education, but it's really not until you study and start to understand the AE's religious and votive practices that allows for a greater insight into their world, at least that's about the only way to make sense of such rambling layouts as these temples/chapels. I suppose that's the good thing about votive practices, it left a lot of artifacts behind.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Thanks OP for an interesting post.
While I fully agree that any poster should question all info posted by another there are good ways to do this.

cI personally see ATS as a springboard suspended high above a deep pool.
Anyone can choose to take the leap from the board that is set by an opening post.
They can dive gracefully,
or launch themselves screaming and flailing.
It matters not, as both are valid ways of reaching the pool below.

Some people just want to poison the pool.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Doesn't surprise me any. I have heard theories that Hatshepsut was possibly around the time of Moses and the Exodus and may have been the"pharoah's" wife during that time, although the King would have been powerless since he would have married into the royal family. Interesting.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Nice Post.
S&F.
its always productive to learn something new every day.
Thanks for enriching my knowledge.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Nice find - S&F.

POI: isn't Abydos also the place where rocks (pillars? Marble?) were - supposedly - found to have complex designs in them (as in, part of the rock) that are clearly of intelligent origin, but that can't be explained by even modern terms of etching, inking, or embedding? I seem to remember seeing that somewhere.

[and, also, where the hieroglyphs that seem to represent recognizable flying machines, of course]
edit on 2/16/2012 by SquirrelNutz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by SquirrelNutz
Nice find - S&F.

POI: isn't Abydos also the place where rocks (pillars? Marble?) were - supposedly - found to have complex designs in them (as in, part of the rock) that are clearly of intelligent origin, but that can't be explained by even modern terms of etching, inking, or embedding? I seem to remember seeing that somewhere.

I believe you are talking about the flower of life

Discussed here

[and, also, where the hieroglyphs that seem to represent recognizable flying machines, of course]

...and debunked decades ago as two sets of egyptian hieroglyphs, one atop another, that have aged badly!

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Thanks for the links.

Regarding the 'Flower of Life' - I see where it discusses it being of Greek origin and even Pythagoras - I don't see any info on its possibile method of creation or the fact (rumor?) that the design appears to be engrained into the structure of the rock (as opposed to drawn on or etched in). Did I miss something?

And, do you have a link to the 2nd? I've always thought this was a flimsy theory, even though referenced often by AATers (shouldn't detract from the bulk of other evidence that seems to still as of yet, be unexplained or shows that our ancestors were FAR more advanced than we give them credit for, and possessed (now) forgotten knowledge)

(I notice by your use of the term 'debunked' rather than 'discovered', 'uncovered', or 'revealed' that you are not a subscriber
)
edit on 2/16/2012 by SquirrelNutz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

reply to post by Hanslune

Thanks for the links.

Regarding the 'Flower of Life' - I see where it discusses it being of Greek origin and even Pythagoras - I don't see any info on its possibile method of creation or the fact (rumor?) that the design appears to be engrained into the structure of the rock (as opposed to drawn on or etched in). Did I miss something?

No its drawn it would appear althought some sources say carved. The high tech words probably come from earlier new age prose on it being 'laser like in precision', it is nicely drawn

And, do you have a link to the 2nd? I've always thought this was a flimsy theory, even though referenced often by AATers (shouldn't detract from the bulk of other evidence that seems to still as of yet, be unexplained or shows that our ancestors were FAR more advanced than we give them credit for, and possessed (now) forgotten knowledge)

What the helicopter one? Yes there are lots of links to that well debunked image. The bulk of other evidence tends to evaporate when a touch of knowledge is applied.

This is an untouched and unmodified photo of the 'helicopter' - and of course you have to include this palimpsest with the rest of the inscriptions in that same room and the mystery disappears

(I notice by your use of the term 'debunked' rather than 'discovered', 'uncovered', or 'revealed' that you are not a subscriber )

No, but it is a good example to what extent the fringe community will go to distort, misinterpret and misrepresent something to try and provide 'evidence' for their deeply held beliefs. lol
edit on 20/2/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Explanation for that one:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Harte

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harte

Explanation for that one:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Harte

Ah yes a detailed explanation - which reminds me (again) of our need for a 'Talkorigins' type explanations list of the common fringe stuff; thanks Harte

new topics

top topics

join