It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are difficult things easier to do when you stick your tongue out

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
My wife asked me this the other day,she had severly sprained her ankle and was having trouble getting used to crutches but found it easier when she stuck her tongue out, upon reflection I realized i do this myself at work when trying to complete a difficult task that involves putting annoying parts together so I thought I would try google and sure enough there is a scientific explanation

www.smh.com.au...

Apparently it helps to minimise interference when concentrating

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Sticking your tongue out may seem to make it easier to do various tasks, but it's a common misconception... What is actually happening, is in the process of sticking your tongue out, you are actually just holding your mouth right.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by hhcore

Huh? I'm not understanding what you mean.

Color me dumbfounded.

Not trolling...just a honest quetion.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I never stick my tongue out to help complete a task. Actually the last time I can remember seeing someone doing that is in Elementary school. But the only reason I can remember that in specific was because my dance teacher yelled at a girl for sticking her tongue out when she was trying to spin in a circle. lol:

It's just like when people start blinking a lot when they're nervous or playing with their hair. Its a nervous tick.:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by hhcore

When you are concentrating on something, you are using the hemisphere of the brain also used for processing motor input. It's also noticeable that some people walk more slowly when they are thinking of something difficult. This is caused by interference from the two activities fighting for the same bit of brain to process them. By biting your lip or sticking your tongue out, you are suspending motor activity and keeping your head rigid, to minimise movement and hence interference.

This is a scientific explanation

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Yeah I noticed that about 17 years ago, my friends tounges would stick out when they played conpetitive video games..... I think its funny, but have seen the connection as well.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Most people who stick their tongue out while doing simple tasks like breathing are mentally deficient.

And if you see someone walking around with crutches and their tongue sticking out you'd assume they where a member of a special Olympic team.

I don't if this thread was a form of mocking the mentally challenged or are you being serious.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
Most people who stick their tongue out while doing simple tasks like breathing are mentally deficient.

And if you see someone walking around with crutches and their tongue sticking out you'd assume they where a member of a special Olympic team.

I don't if this thread was a form of mocking the mentally challenged or are you being serious.

Ummm yeah....You seem to be quite confused about a great many things..... Mentally deficient people do not stick there tongues out to do simple tasks....People suffering from Down's Syndrome have the physical characteristics that often include a protruding tongue, for various developmental, and physical reasons, but it has nothing to do with them 'sticking it out' when they do tasks.

Have you never seen anyone stick their tongue out to perform a complex action? I don't do it. but its fairly common......

Also...why the heck would someone in the Special Olympics be on crutches?!?! Crutches are something generally used when you're injured....Unless you're talking about fore-arm crutches (which is the normal type used by people with permanent disabilities)... On the contrary, Axillary or Underarm Crutches are the type you use when you sprain an ankle, and it is quite obviously the type meant by the OP here.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilder

Personally, I tend to keep my mouth shut, regardless of what the situation may be. Due to that, I cannot answer, one way or the other, as to whether or not it actually does help.

If in fact, it actually does help, it is most likely just because she (you; anybody; whoever) is focusing on it. Concentrating her thoughts on her tongue, as opposed to focusing on the pain and/or her crutches.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

While I was writing that, I giggled twice and snorted once. lol I was only joking.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
It worked for Michael Jordan. He stuck his tongue out while driving to the basket throughout his career and he was a pretty good baller. While he may suck at being a General Manager I don't think that makes him mentally deficient.

new topics

top topics

join