It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if websites could be shut down for allowing slander?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
What if websites and blogs could be sued for libel or slander? The New York Times was sued for printing libelous statements many times. How long would ATS last if it could be sued for letting people slander others? How many people on this site have said things about the Rothchilds or Rockefellers that could be viewed as slander. And yes, I know a case like that just failed in England; but, there were facts that hurt the case, such as the fact that Mr. Rothchilds was in the meeting with the two people and did bring them together (for those of you following the news).

How long would any conspiracy theory website be up if they began getting sued for outrageous claims (true or not) and threats? Where would people discuss theories that were not mainstream if this happened? Recently a blogger was sued and lost to the tune of over $2 million for slandering a politician on their blog. I don't have any idea how much money ATS makes through advertising and whatever; but, I guarantee you that if they could be sued for things that people say that could be found to be slanderous, they would have to clamp down or kill the site. They wouldn't have a choice.

Just something to think about.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
IMO its just a matter of time. If I gaze into my looking glass I see.....A slanderous comment against a future government posted on the NewWorldWideWeb tracked by a quantum computer, an automated request sent directly to your RFID which instantly deducts 300 New World Credits from your New World Bank account. A notice is sent to your Neural Implant warning you that you are on your 2nd strike. One more and your implant will excrete a toxin
that lobotomizes you. Mauaahahaha......

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Lexx790

Dear Lexx790,

I think a two million dollar settlement will suffice How many of those can a website handle?.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Give it time....

I'm sure it has already happened.

Oh wait...

It has.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Two million dollar lawsuit?

There is only one word for that. It's just so far outside of the realm of what most people in life will ever be remotely close to.

Bankruptcy.

Instant. Like, as you're leaving the court room from losing the slander case, you're on the phone with an attorney for the bankruptcy. Why even bother filing these ridiculous things against normal people? It really would be laughable if the outcome wasn't the personal destruction of the individuals and really nothing gained for those who sued.

In a totally unrelated and completely separate thought....I wonder if that would cover people like us here at ATS being a bit on the outspoken side?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Maybe the question you should ask is why don't they sue.

Is it because the information posted on this site is actually true.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   

relax , yuor paranoia is slipping into over drive

legaly , the person making the statement bears the legal responsibility for it ,

thats it

a forum is vastly different to a newspaper or TV station , and cannot be held responsible for libelous content - UNLESS the content has already been judged libelous in a court of law and the forum refuses to remove it - then they are guilty of libel

thats the crux - making an acusation that a statement is libelous - is just that a counter claim

and ats staff cannot be expected to comply with any counterclaim of " its libel " untill the courts have judged the case

ergo - ATS is safe

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Dear ignorant_ape,

LOL.

relax , yuor paranoia is slipping into over drive

Sorry you found me bringing up the question so offensive. The law is not settled regarding the internet, it is being developed as case after case brings up new issues. Anti-online bullying laws will effect more than just mainstream media and foreign countries with different laws will be free to block content which does not fall within their laws. You should look up the slander laws in England or the hate speech laws in France. Four years ago I was talking about how Australia was going to start filtering the web and I got the same sort of response I did to this post (it was on a different website).

Try reading this news article

CBS News - Obama Eying Internet ID for Americans

It may be the wild, wild west for the internet today; but, do you really think that it will continue this way, that is not history and that is not what is being discussed. Your internet service provider, cell phone company and sites such as google have already agreed to give out personal information if asked by the government for the information. Is that also paranoia? Perhaps you think that a law has to be passed to institute the proposed regulations on the internet; but, it does not, court cases can be used.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Well it appears to be happening in real time now. DISCLOSETV has been SHUT DOWN! And look what they are calling it...SEDITION! How can a site, talking about mostly Aliens, be called Sedition?? And worse...look at the COVEN LOGO'S. www.disclose.tv...
EA is ENKI...so it is 'EACO' which is ENKI and COMPANY. The Eagle Logo is Enlil.

It is Canon Law "All names of 'gods' must be in all capital letters"
"All COVENS of 'gods' must be in all capital letters preceded by the word 'of' to denote 'possessed by' gods, and must display their Registered Coven Symbol" which became called the CORPORATE LOGO.

Which is why 'Chase' uses the Melchizedek Order of Lilith as its Logo. "chize" is "CHASE". Rules of language: "i/e/a, s/z" are interchangeable in Saxon and German word formations.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

If websites could be shut down for slander their would be about three left running ebay, paypal and the prayer website. It would for all purposes shut down the internet.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
You have almost no blogs left, and certainly all forums, boards and comments sections from every web site would be a thing of the past..

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by YellowRoseTx51

Disclose tv is in the middle of a makeover according to the news. My guess is that what you are seeing is just their way of complaining about the coming internet regulations.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by VforVendettea

I think what you will see and have seen is that the websites get a warning first that they must regulate when requested or become aware. YouTube regularly takes down videos rather than be sued. The anti-bullying suits have begun, consider the college student who posted a video of his roommate having sex and the roommate killed himself. He is being prosecuted on criminal charges.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs
You have almost no blogs left, and certainly all forums, boards and comments sections from every web site would be a thing of the past..

Or people would be more careful about what they said and sites would be more careful about what they allowed to be published.

new topics

top topics

join