It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we please have an Ignore button back?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I know I'm new here, but I wanted to say that an IGNORE button would help one weed through less desirable posts.

Thanks for listening.

D.F.B.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
While only SkepticOverlord can address the "ignore button" issue - it is a coding issue...

One can simply just skip over the person's post. It is actually very easy to do.
You see a name whom you simply cant ever agree with.......move on to next post.

GE, the problem with that approach is that you get to see that on a daily basis and it gets annoying trying to just skip through them on every thread.

If this button is not considered again, then how about considering in warning that individual and possibly banning them for the misuse of posting. I agree everyone is entitled to their own opinion and at times some even make mistakes (like me) but it is easy to fix, come back apologize and carry on. Most people don't do that though!

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
I totally agree, there are some (and it is increasing year by year) people that are very nasty individuals, I do not wish to even come across their posts by accident - they are negative and cruel energies that I do not wish to come into contact with.

There are some posts and posters that are so vile, so repulsive that I really think we should have a choice as to whom to ignore.

As in real life, I chose not to associate with people who are mean, cruel or vicious in nature.

If a ignore button is not reinstated, I think I will choose another conspiracy site to visit because there are now a few that while not as widely known as ATS are attracting more intelligent, gentle conversation.

Life is already becoming too brutal, too harsh to have to endure some of the outrageously hateful people (not many, but enough).

Again, I never thought I would say this but there are a few individuals on this site that post regularly that I do not wish to come across.............they are just immature, hateful and not worth my time.

I come here to learn, to grow and not have to muddle through many of the immature and useless comments that are ever increasing on this site.

edit on 15-2-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

So worthy of re-posting this post. That is exactly why I wish there were an ignore button. Darkness and evil repulses me and I do not choose to hang around it... there is too much we are already subjected to in this Life. That is one of the reasons I find myself coming to ATS less and less. An ignore button would stop this for the many reasons others have already mentioned in this thread.

Some of my favorite members are the ones requesting an ignore button. If ATS continues to loose such quality posters...... then ATS will merely become just another junk forum on the internet.

Denying ignorance = 2¢
Ignore button = free
Obliterating evil and darkness from your Life = PRICELESS!

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
If a poster is breaking the rules, report the post.

The mods will delete said post, and it will be ignored by all!

Now, if the mod doesn't remove the post that would mean it adds to the conversation. If you don't want to see the post, then skip by it.

All the ignore button adds is a reason to say this:

"You're going on ignore, bye!"

Then it promotes one way arguing, where you will contine to state your side of the arument while the other person is unable to offer a valid rebuttle.

Really, the way it is being handled is a good way to do it. If the thread is full of things you don't want to read, well instead of ignoring all the people. Leave the thread...

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
The point is that instead of reading through six pages of posts you can read through fewer because you've eliminated posters who don't interest you or who add nothing to the conversation.

An IGNORE button would save some time for the busier members.

Thank you.

D.F.B.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by disgustingfatbody

I agree with an ignore button/list. There should definitely be one. I know a few broken records who Id put on it, and I think most others would as well.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
The ignore button will not be returning.

It was initiated during a time of transition and growth at ATS, long ago, when we were still coming to terms with policies on dealing with disruptive members while maintaining a high standard of free expression. The original intent of the ignore feature was not to negate comments you didn't like, but to negate users who were purposefully disruptive.

Now that we have long-standing policies regarding manners and decorum, and:
-- staff tools to rapidly post-ban members
-- staff tools to rapidly remove offending posts
-- tools for members to alert staff to offending posts/threads
... there is simply no need for an ignore feature.

Not trying to be an ass, but ---> If you want such a feature simply to remove from view opinions in which you disagree, then perhaps a free-expression environment such as ATS is not for you, and you need to locate a discussion venue that doesn't tolerate a wide range of opinion. (Just sayin')

Availing yourself to a variety of opinion and viewpoints is a fundamental aspect of ATS. An ability to ignore specific opinions is opposed to the core ideal of denying ignorance.

Source

I knew there was a post on this!

EDIT (To add)
PS: Methinks I worded it less harsh too! No offense SO! Of course, they aren't upset at my work either...

Well, I think the ignore button is a feature that was outlived when we had it. And I agree with SO 99.9%

And, since he is the site owner....hey!! SkepticOverlord SiteOwner! SOSO! What was I saying?
edit on 5/26/2012 by adigregorio because: ADHD!

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I've decided to reinstate my own version of the 'Ignore Button', it's simple, requires no programming skills nor any extra effort on SO or the mods behalf, and unlike the old Ignore Button you don't even have to click your mouse.

I call it 'Choosing Not To Read A Post'. You should all try it some time....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join