It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we please have an Ignore button back?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

Ignoring a topic because it doesn't interest you is different from ignoring a person. For example, I have no interest in baseball. As a result I don't follow it. I don't however ignore everyone who does have an interest in baseball because that would be ridiculous. Just because someone posts in a certain forum doesn't mean that's their only interest. And just because you disagree with someone on one topic doesn't mean you will disagree with them on another. I can't count the number of times where I have been arguing with someone on one thread only to end up agreeing with them in the next thread I click on.

As for your questions regarding calling someone an idiot. Simple name calling does not contribute to a debate. The focus of a debate is a specific topic. It is not the other debaters. Therefore, any comment that strictly focuses on another member is off-topic. However, if you think they are an idiot due to their views on the topic at hand you can get your message across that you think they are an idiot simply by saying they're wrong and providing evidence that you are right. This will not only keep the topic on topic, but it will also contribute to the debate. Who knows. Maybe then they will come back with some piece of data that you didn't know existed and as a result you will learn something.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Reply to post by Xcalibur254

Sweet. I usually use my cell but if I it gets bad again in a thread I will make use of the tools provided by ATS. Thank you for the info. Peace.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Only one man can make ATS a joy and friendly environment again. Vote Ron Paul 2012!!.......I had to type it. I could not leave this thread without doing so. I apologize if my actions interrupted this thread.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
is it okay to call someone an idiot if you think they are an idiot?

Oh that would be fun! Just let it all go. While we are at it ...
let the 'cuss words' fling too. There are a some choice ones
I'd love to cyber-smack a few people with.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

I would support the button being named that. This site would be so boring if I only listened to people who I agreed with.

We should just ban everyone that wants the ignore button in my opinion... oh wait..

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I think some folk think we used the ignore button on members whose opinions and beliefs we didn't agree with. It wasn't that at all. It was to switch off someone who was extremely unpleasant to be around. And it's all a matter of personal taste. As I already said, I've posted on ATS hundreds of times but only came across 2 peeps I loathed. So that was a good button, just so I can ignore two cold, cynical gits.

But I'm glad to see they are no longer around so I'm guessing they were on borrowed time after all. Hooray for that.

It was like being in a pub with friends when the local nasty bastid walks in and comes to your table. On ATS the ignore button was like a magic wand. Now we have to leave the pub or have an unpleasant time dodging the school bully, (metaphorically speaking). Nothing to do with beliefs or opinions, it was 100% personality clash.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by filosophia
is it okay to call someone an idiot if you think they are an idiot?

Oh that would be fun! Just let it all go. While we are at it ...
let the 'cuss words' fling too. There are a some choice ones
I'd love to cyber-smack a few people with.

its not just about swearing, if i wanted to cuss i would go to glp where every post is the f word or some over-the-top emoticon/movie.

I'm just saying, if we think someone is so closed minded that they must be a paid disinfo shill, we should be able to say it.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I dare anyone to try and respond to this

www.abovetopsecret.com...

go ahead, stop ignoring it, DENY IGNORANCE and respond if you can to his post (i can't)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Being aware of opinions intensely contrary to your own is a valuable aspect of intellectual growth...

How does having to listen to someone who's only contribution is calling you a nutcase over and over have any value to my growth? That is silly. All they do is try to goad you into battle which does nothing but disrupt a thread, get ya riled up and when you smack em back once you have had enough of turning the other cheek... YOU get banned

This is not about difference of opinion, its about those that the only discussion needed is

edit on 16-2-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I've lost count of how many times I've wished for the ignore button over the last six months.

95% has been ONE poster. This poster says repeatedly says the same exact spiel in multiple threads. IMO it's not a "confirmation bias" button. It's a "If-I-see-this-idgit-post-one-more-time-i'm-going-to-have-an-aneurysm" button.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Lulzaroonie

*after realising what Lulz may have intimated,Eric turns,puts hands in pockets,saunters nonchalantly away and runs,once out of sight*

*minus hands in pockets*

My apologies,I'm really not very good at supplying useful information.......

XL5

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I want the button back too. I think if the alert function was used every time it SHOULD be used, we would need alot more mods (hint:...more then 10). We would also see 30-50% of the posters banned for not adding to the discussion (one line...then "added one more cus I have to derp"), along with off topic back and forth.

When people come to ATS with big claims and the thread explodes to ten pages in 2 hours, I just read that persons posts and no others, try it and see! The other posts in threads like that are all alike anyway.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Sorry, make that 3
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I know I'm bad but I DON'T HAVE THE BUTTON.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by curious7

I think we are responding to bots.

I have no doubt that for every Person

there is an equivalent and Superior Bot

We are deeply in De Nial peepls

I don't have the links for you, there are way too many

All I can ask, Is PLEASE

DENY IGNORANCE !!

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
So what the heck? I made a post about how this thread has CHANGED my way of thinking, and it got removed! So explaining how we grow intellectual is now an off topic post
deny ignorance indeed.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Ericthedoubter

I wasn't intimating anything
You're alright

However, there was someone who posted in one of my threads the other day who gave some very positive responses, who I then saw to be really irritating and stupid on someone elses, which contributed nothing to the discussion at hand.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Troll season is in full swing!!!! Bring back the button!! Bring back the Button! Mic Check!!!! Bring back the button.

Whose Button?... Our Button!!!!!

Make it easier on the Mods! There are clearly those around here who have no intention of making valuable contributions to a thread or to this Site and its only going to increase as the election nears.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I see alot of familair faces in this thread, I wonder how many want to ignore me

You do realize ATS still has an ignore button right?

Sure! It's right next to the address bar in your browser. Most have a little arrow pointing to the left, but some actually say their function:

"back"

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join