It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satellite phone encryption cracked

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Source: www.telegraph.co.uk...

Security researchers have warned that the satellite phones relied on by businesses, charities and government agencies in trouble spots and emergencies worldwide can be easily intercepted and deciphered.

I can't help but draw an inference that this little piece of news was more related to the practices of certain unscrupulous news agencies... after all, the Murdoch empire may have done precisely what this article describes:

“We were able to completely reverse engineer the encryption algorithms employed,” said Benedikt Driessen and Ralf Hund of Ruhr University Bochum as they announced their report, "Don't Trust Satellite Phones".

The encryption algorithms are known as GMR-1 and GMR-2, and are standards used across satellite phone operators, including Thuraya, a leading providers. Their technology is widely used in the Middle East and Africa, including in some military applications.

Mr Driessen told The Telegraph that the equipment and software needed to intercept and decrypt satellite phone calls from hundreds of thousands of users would cost as little as $2,000. His demonstration system takes up to half an hour to decipher a call, but a more powerful computer would allow eavesdropping in real time, he said.

Interestingly, this whole mess could have been avoided had transparency been more 'real' as it was with other encryption technologies.

Truthfully, had the specs for the encryption been shared, most authorities would have had ample warning that these technologies (GMR-1 and 2) are flawed... but then, I wonder if that wasn't desired? Who knows how much 'easy' eavesdropping has taken place between then and whatever point they institute a new encryption method which is proven reasonable secure? I recall that certain alphabet agencies are knee-deep in the process of "having something to do with" encryption implementation across many means of communication....

Maybe I'm just too cynical.
edit on 14-2-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
in europe all letter agencies have a installed backdoor in all encrypted communication devices, even in encrypted satellite telephones...thats fact...and so does america, and russia and china and india...encrypted communication is a myth - only possible with an independent satellite...wasnt gaddafi building one...guess now its too late

edit on 14-2-2012 by Hessdalen because: mindcontrol

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Hessdalen

It's amazing isn't it? You know there was a time when the government's used to pretend that encryption was a "threat" to them. I remember the big deal they made out of the PGP case. In the end, I suspect there is no encryption we can devise that they can't crack (well.... maybe.)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

if you want to go deeper in the rabbit hole

german hacker 313373 - the best of the best

Tron & the Cryptophone -
died mysteriously

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hessdalen
reply to post by Maxmars

if you want to go deeper in the rabbit hole

german hacker 313373 - the best of the best

Tron & the Cryptophone -
died mysteriously

Sehr gut...!

Loved the nordik guy and nokia in the bar made every phone ring at once....ahhhh lul were the times.

top topics

join