It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radiation Treatment Generates Cancer Stem Cells from Less Aggressive Breast Cancer Cells, Study Sugg

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Radiation Treatment Generates Cancer Stem Cells from Less Aggressive Breast Cancer Cells, Study Suggests

www.sciencedaily.com

Breast cancer stem cells are thought to be the sole source of tumor recurrence and are known to be resistant to radiation therapy and don't respond well to chemotherapy.

Now, researchers with the UCLA Department of Radiation Oncology at UCLA's Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center report for the first time that radiation treatment -- despite killing half of all tumor cells during every treatment -- transforms other cancer cells into treatment-resistant breast cancer stem cells.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 14-2-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
It seems hardly fair.

For years radiation therapy was touted and in effect, marketed, as one of the few alternatives available to treat cancers. While this study focuses on breast cancer, and cancer stem cells, I can't help but fear that radiation therapy may sooner or later be found to have a similar effect in exacerbating the deterioration of some patient's health.

"We found that these induced breast cancer stem cells (iBCSC) were generated by radiation-induced activation of the same cellular pathways used to reprogram normal cells into induced pluripotent stem cells (iPS) in regenerative medicine," said Pajonk, who also is a scientist with the Eli and Edythe Broad Center of Regenerative Medicine at UCLA. "It was remarkable that these breast cancers used the same reprogramming pathways to fight back against the radiation treatment."

Fortunately, we are beginning to see some real 'new' and 'meaningful' research results that will allow us to avoid making what in retrospect has to be very regrettable paths taken to treat suffering patients.

"Do no harm."

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I have a friend who had cancer of the blood, Lukiemia (sorry for spelling) and he went and got treated through chemo. A few years later his vison and kidneys were starting to go out on him, the doctors said the reason was because the chemo treatments were pretty intense that it was affecting other parts of his system.

Chemo can be very effective treatment, but depending on how much and the dose, can be very bad for you in other ways. Sure it treats cancer, but it will eventually cause other adverse health effects if it is drastic enough of a treatment.

I certainly hope they find a cure soon.

-SAP-
edit on 14-2-2012 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
This quackery will never bring anything to the table aside false hope. I truly feel sorry for all of those who have been conned. The pangs of life are necessary for development, we just have everything backarsewards.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

Me too. I hate that we have spent billions and billions searching for a cure... and somehow we seem to be making no headway at all.... There's lot's of conspiracies about the profitability of treatment, and how commerce may be the one reason many diseases are never cured... we can only pray that people couldn't possibly be so deeply evil as to engender the continuation of pain and misery... for the sake of profit.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I would like to believe that as well, but what I see everyday on here and other places...It seems to be the latter.

It's a sick world we live in, with sick people. I don't like to be the negitive person but sometime its hard to ignore such evil...

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
This came out yesterday from Monash University, Its been known for a bit asprin can help cancer patients, but they were not sure why, yesterday researchers released how aspirin bilogically limits cancer tumours to spread in the body. Its quite big news in Oncology...ie that Asprin is a inhibitor.

Researchers have known for years that common drugs like aspirin can help cancer patients, but they were not sure why.

Now they have found a link between drugs like aspirin and the ability for cancer tumours to spread in the body.

The institute's associate professor Steven Stacker says the discovery unlocks a range of potential new pathways for treating cancer.

"Hopefully this insight is going to be very important to understanding how these drugs may work and in fact how the lymphatic vessels may really contribute to a tumour metastasis," he said.

Professor Stacker says scientists have learned more about how the lymphatic vessels in the body's circulatory system function.

Those vessels are often "hijacked" when a person has cancer.
Audio: Aspirin may inhibit cancer spread (AM)

"The blood vessels can be a conduit for cells to leave the primary tumour and go to other sites. The discovery we've found is that for the first time the major lymphatic vessels are seen to play their own individual role in this process," he said.

Scientists found these vessels expand in the process of metastasis, increasing their volume and therefore allow cells and fluid to be transported more readily, a bit like a highway for cancer cells.

The researchers have discovered that drugs like aspirin, known as non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs), can play a role in shutting down the dilation of these lymphatic vessels or cancer highways, effectively closing off a tumour's supply lines.

"It does provide an opportunity now to try to inhibit that protein or inhibit that process, reduce the dilation of those lymphatic vessels and potentially reduce metastatic spread," he said.

The researchers also think their findings could lead to an early warning system to help doctors work out if a tumour is likely to spread.

The study is being published today in the journal Cancer Cell.

www.abc.net.au...
edit on 14-2-2012 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Every Cancer Can be Cured in Weeks explains Dr. Leonard Coldwell

This information is crucial and needs to be shared. Also the facts on table salt are explained well. Its horrible what they do to our food.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
If I had cancer, you couldn't pay me any amount of money to get treated by "Western Medicine."

I would use alternative measures to get rid of it. I'm waiting results of some tests I had done and have been reading up on alternative therapies for the last week. I like what I'm seeing with Bloodroot salve. I ordered some from Ecuador yesterday. I took into consideration all the negative info about it. I am not convinced it is a bad thing to use.

This testimony of Bill O'Leary has me feeling pretty comfortable with this product. billolearyphuket.com...

Here is a youtube video of a woman using black salve on her breast cancer.

I did see the photos of a woman who had her entire nose eaten away by this stuff. From what I understand, her cancer was advanced and the black salve only killed the cancer. If she had to have surgery on her cancer, chances are they never would have gotten it all.
edit on 14-2-2012 by hardamber because: fixed link

edit on 14-2-2012 by hardamber because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I will be amazed when and if these discoveries lead to a "cure" for cancer, but I sure hope it happens. This and in other areas of modern medicine it sure doesn't appear that treatments and preventatives are prescribed and practiced for our best benefit. I can't help but thinking there are other agendas painting the bigger picture like profit motives and perhaps even population control.

I am very glad I am now living in a civilized society where medical care is affordable, available, and alternative treatments are not forbidden.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

I have no doubt these remedies are being suppressed. Bloodroot paste has been used for a couple thousand years to kill off cancers. Some people have treated their cancer by taking it internally.

Rene Caisse made an herbal tea that was saving cancer victim's lives several years ago. The tea recipe is easy enough to get. Big pharm offered her a million dollars for her to quit making it and give them the recipe. She almost sold it to them but didn't. She wanted them to provide it for free to people who couldn't afford it and they wouldn't.

The AMA went after Harry Hoxsey for a couple decades and tried to shut him down. They were able to shut him down eventuall and he moved his operation just over the border in Mexico. He had a tonic that people were seeing their cancers go away with. The AMA offered him a large sum of money for his cure but he refused when they would not provide it for free to the less fortunate.

In my opinion, we will never see a cure for cancer because it's too big of a money maker for the medical industry.

The paste is not illegal to use on animals for their tumors.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Here is another article on this topic... one with some great illustrations: www.kurzweilai.net...

new topics

top topics

join