It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia faced major nuclear disaster in 2011-report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Looks as if the K-84 was in fact armed with Nuclear weapons......
How many of these close calls happen before the luck runs out?
Amazing..I don't believe I heard much at all about this....
I wonder if it wasn't avoided we would have been told? How many other times do we Never hear about...Geez

* Submarine was armed with nuclear weapons - magazine*
Report says vessel visited weapons store after blaze.
By Guy Faulconbridge

MOSCOW, Feb 14 (Reuters) - Russia came close to nuclear disaster in late December when a blaze engulfed a nuclear-powered submarine carrying atomic weapons, a leading Russian magazine reported, contradicting official assurances that it was not armed

Russian officials said at the time that all nuclear weapons aboard the Yekaterinburg nuclear submarine had been unloaded well before a fire engulfed the 167-metre (550 feet) vessel and there had been no risk of a radiation leak.

But the respected Vlast weekly magazine quoted several sources in the Russian navy as saying that throughout the fire on Dec. 29 the submarine was carrying 16 R-29 intercontinental ballistic missiles, each armed with four nuclear warheads.

"Russia, for a day, was on the brink of the biggest catastrophe since the time of Chernobyl," Vlast reported. The 1986 disaster in modern-day Ukraine is regarded as the world's worst nuclear accident.

Neither the Russian Defence Ministry nor the office of Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin, who has responsibility for military matters, would immediately comment on the report. A spokesman for the navy could not be contacted.

Reuters

yahoo news
World News

Remember the Kursk Accident
KurskLink

edit on 14-2-2012 by wutz4tom because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Russia says it wasnt armed, Are you kidding me, what the hell, is the purpose of these subs, just to float under water, Heck No, they are for shadowing, and occasionally sticking there head up, and if need be, setting the world ablaze. WTF, these Nuclear disasters, are becoming to normal, it will be only a matter of time, before something major, accidentialy occurs, and changes Humanity forever. Who is Russia kidding

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Glassbender777

Ashame the truth wasn't told...I guess it's best just to assume everything is a lie.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by wutz4tom

Wonder if the Russian Defence Ministry will admit that it was in fact armed with nuclear weapons.....
whats going to be there method of damage control.Maybe stand by thier original story?

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Well you know and i know and if i tell two friends and you tell two friends and they tell two friends who tell two friends well ya never can tell can ya?

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by wutz4tom
Looks as if the K-84 was in fact armed with Nuclear weapons......
How many of these close calls happen before the luck runs out?
Amazing..I don't believe I heard much at all about this....
I wonder if it wasn't avoided we would have been told? How many other times do we Never hear about...Geez

* Submarine was armed with nuclear weapons - magazine*
Report says vessel visited weapons store after blaze.
By Guy Faulconbridge

MOSCOW, Feb 14 (Reuters) - Russia came close to nuclear disaster in late December when a blaze engulfed a nuclear-powered submarine carrying atomic weapons, a leading Russian magazine reported, contradicting official assurances that it was not armed

Russian officials said at the time that all nuclear weapons aboard the Yekaterinburg nuclear submarine had been unloaded well before a fire engulfed the 167-metre (550 feet) vessel and there had been no risk of a radiation leak.

But the respected Vlast weekly magazine quoted several sources in the Russian navy as saying that throughout the fire on Dec. 29 the submarine was carrying 16 R-29 intercontinental ballistic missiles, each armed with four nuclear warheads.

"Russia, for a day, was on the brink of the biggest catastrophe since the time of Chernobyl," Vlast reported. The 1986 disaster in modern-day Ukraine is regarded as the world's worst nuclear accident.

Neither the Russian Defence Ministry nor the office of Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin, who has responsibility for military matters, would immediately comment on the report. A spokesman for the navy could not be contacted.

Reuters

yahoo news
World News

Remember the Kursk Accident
KurskLink

edit on 14-2-2012 by wutz4tom because: (no reason given)

Would have been terrible. This is why no more nuclear energy is needed and governments need to start working together to eliminate nuclear energy and invest in research for alternative, renewable energy sources.

Chernobyl was the best example of how devastating, even "peaceful" nuclear energy really is to not just the ecosystem but to us too.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by theBigToe

Thank you, I could not agree more..

I amazed this averted catastrophic event is not getting more attention.???
Considering the Potential that was there was for a serious Nuclear mishap???

Perhaps the public doesn't believe this story?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Unless the weapons had no safeties at all there was little danger of a nuclear explosion.

Nuclear weapons are not armed till they are launched and the final arming does not happen until they reach a curtain point in there flight. this is just in case there is a accident.

True the weapon can explode in a non nuclear blast and spit out the pit that is radioactive and i can be broken up in pieces as was seen in a few of the US test from johnston island where missile test went bad

Operation Fishbowl test shot Bluegill, test shot Starfish, test shot Bluegill Prime,and test shot Bluegill Double Prime, all were launch failures and had to be destroyed none of the weapons went off
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Thats all fine and dandy assuming they have the same safety measures in place.
Do you think they would tell us if they didn't?
The public absolutely has the right to know when an accident involving nuclear weapons is even a possibility..
No Questions.
You want the weapons...Be Responsible!

This Crap of the public being informed as a last resort...HAS TO STOP!
edit on 20-2-2012 by wutz4tom because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by wutz4tom

Ofcourse the truth isn't mandatory anymore....

How quickly we forget....

Japanese Finally admit leak will kill people... of plant breaks ...

link
edit on 20-2-2012 by wutz4tom because: (no reason given)

top topics

join