It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Contraception Debate. Where did this come from?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

If you feel that the1st ammendment is passe', then by all means, have it redacted.

But until it is, religion is protected under it.

Obama's mandates are unconstitutional. He is trying to over-ride the 1st Ammendment.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

If you feel that the1st ammendment is passe', then by all means, have it redacted.

I never said that. The 1st is a great amendment. Certain parts ARE passe though. All I've said all along is that if you are going to take money in and pay NO taxes you have NO voice in politics. The Constitution just doesn't guarantee rights to religion, it guarantees rights for all. That also means Muslims, Jews, Agnostics, Atheists, Buddhists, etc. Using the 1st as a shield is minimalistic and, if I may say so, selfish. The 21st century awaits. Hopefully one that actually separates state and religion.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

I never said that. The 1st is a great amendment. Certain parts ARE passe though. All I've said all along is that if you are going to take money in and pay NO taxes you have NO voice in politics. The Constitution just doesn't guarantee rights to religion, it guarantees rights for all. That also means Muslims, Jews, Agnostics, Atheists, Buddhists, etc. Using the 1st as a shield is minimalistic and, if I may say so, selfish. The 21st century awaits. Hopefully one that actually separates state and religion.

But I agree!
As much as I have personal issues with muslims (they're the only ones that have tried to kill me, to date ) I still would fight for their freedom to worship, their dictates that don't allow pork.

If an athiest doesn't want to worship? They are free not to.

If an Amish doesn't want a John Deere, he shouldn't have one!

If catholics don't want to pay for abortions or contraceptives? Then they shouldn't have to!

You can keep reciting the 21st century over and over, but the Constitution is timeless.

Just look how old (and still relavent) the Magna Carta is!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

You can keep reciting the 21st century over and over, but the Constitution is timeless.

No it isn't. That's why there are amendments.

Just look how old (and still relavent) the Magna Carta is!

The Magna Carta referred to the ruling class. You might be thinking about British Common Law.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

No it isn't. That's why there are amendments.

Oh, like the 1st?

The Magna Carta referred to the ruling class. You might be thinking about British Common Law.

Nope. The founding fathers based the US Constitution on the Magna Carta.

Freedom is timeless.

To add; I'm not being rude but it's late in my time zone. I'll pick this up on the morrow.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by axiomuser

How beautiful that this thread turned into EXACTLY what you're talking about!
One side made up a bunch of hyperbole and repeated it time and time again, while the other side posted reason, which was completely ignored. That was hilarious!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by axiomuser
As you may have heard over and over again, there is now a debate about contraception.

Really, isn't there more important things to talk about? Economy anyone?

Okay... you're Republican, right (I'm assuming)?

We're watching the Republican nomination process.

NOW -- in case you're new to the Republican Party, one of the central policies of the party is an anti-abortion stance. The party has recently been under the influence of the Tea Party members, who are more conservative than many other Republicans.

THEREFORE, it's a key test in the "are you a true Republican and worthy of our conservative vote" evalutation.

They want to know EXACTLY where everyone stands on this. It appears that many are wanting to pick the most conservative candidate they can find. You may THINK you know who the right person is, but the party wants to make sure their values are the same as the party that's nominating them.

For those who haven't been involved with the Republcan Party before (voting for them, responding to the issues, helping campaigns), I recommend looking at the Wikipedia article for a quick refresher on their stances.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join