It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4 year old told to eat 3 chicken nuggets

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by EmceeTrick

I knew MO had to have something to do with this.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Hey i agree with you man... its a hard line to decide... I mean just cuz your skinny doesnt make you unhealthy and vice versa. Thats the is the biggest problem that lies with in our way of life in this country.. when isnt it offensive... when does it become a problem... that would be like having someone who plays rugby coming in with bruises... say they played rugby with a group not affiliated with school.. no what do you. you have a bruised studen who says he plays rugby but what if tye dont play it and they are beat up from mom or dad.. Where do you decide to cross the line?

I totally agree with the simplist form of this regulation and that they want kids to eat healthier.. but to force people to have to eat things that are missing from their lunch i think is a little bit to much... now maybe given them the option and saying hey your missing veggies or meat would like some.. then i could this... or call the parent and say hey blah blah blah.

But to be honest in reading this law... it appears its not directed towards home brought lunches.. so i am really thinking that this one person just really went over board.. considering this law has been implemented since 2010.. and this is the first reported case of such a incident..

I now believe as i have researched this is an isolated incident...

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

Totally agree with you. There's no way in HELL I would send my child to public school. I wouldn't let the government babysit and "educate" my child every day.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Aaaaa, public schools are fine. The problem is with uninvolved parents. I don't rely on the public school to do everything a parent should do, but the school is still a great place for a basic education, and some social skills, and some camaraderie with classmates.

People that hate public schools, usually have unrealistic expectations of the school. The school educates everyone to the average ability. None of us want our kids to be average, we want them to be stellar, so that means we have to supplement their education with other activities, and personal attention, and honest answers to their inquisitive nature. Sometimes, if you have a smart and smart-aleck kid like my 5 year old, this might even mean finding sources to back up your answers!
He doesn't just take my word for things, especially if my word is different than a teachers, or Dora's!
Hell, I had to show him my degree, and tell him that meant I was a "scientist" before he would believe anything I said regarding science.

Anyway, if parents expect a public school to raise their kids, and teach their kids respect, and responsibility, and manners, and prepare them for a good college, then the parents have unrealistic expectations, and they will be disappointed. If parents expect the school to skim over some subjects, and drill down to the understanding level of the weakest kid in the class, and hopefully spur some curiousity for the other children that will create some self-study and good questions to follow up on on at home, then those parents get just about what they bargain for.

My kid got punched by another kid at school yesterday, the other kid is always in trouble, but he and my son have become good friends, and my son is a teachers pet, so they are an odd-couple. Anyway, the other kid punched my son in the mouth, my son cried and told the teacher. When I picked him up after school, I asked why he didn't knock the other kid out, and his answer was, "We don't use our tae-kwon-do on our friends." Recited straight from his karate teacher's words! What a good kid! The school didn't teach him that, I didn't even teach him that, I would have said knock the kid out, but the karate class taught him a great lesson. We have to make sure our kids are exposed to many things if we want them to go beyond the average.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by coop039

There is no way its still soft and fresh, those bags arent even air tight.No mold is possible, but unlikely. If a loaf of bread sits more then a week and half at my house it will mold in the summer of dry out in the winter. Sounds like a good urban myth though.

Ya, they dry out at my house too! That is why it was so odd and concerning. He originally discovered it by accident, he was going to throw it out a few times, and it just never got old, so he became curious and kept watching it, and it became a joke, and then a curiousity, and then a wonder, and now an urban myth.

Although, I called him to get him to take a pic, and he said he through it out last year when he moved to his new house. Sorry, I know its lame, and now it really will be just a myth. I saw it myself when it was a couple of years old, and before he moved back to Missouri, and I assure you, it was soft. I would have eaten it if I didn't know any better.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I dunno... I think chicken nuggets should be banned and they cook real chicken... hahaha like big giant turkey legs from the faires and stuff.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ScaryWorld
reply to post by spoonbender

Ignorance is the only thing stopping you from believing the truth, do research for at least 1 day and you'll be convinced, wish you luck my confused and troll'd brothern.
edit on 14-2-2012 by ScaryWorld because: (no reason given)

www.vrg.org...
www.ecologos.org... at this website he debunks the first. One of his only actual points is that humans can't kill and eat prey with our natural equipment. Watch bear grills to disprove this. Also tool using and problem solving are some of humans basic natural tools.

wildrosebeef.hubpages.com...
more evidence that we are omnivores.
or how about the fact that taste buds react favorably to animal fats which would seem to imply that our body is built to expect those types of foods.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Aaaaa, public schools are fine. The problem is with uninvolved parents. I don't rely on the public school to do everything a parent should do, but the school is still a great place for a basic education, and some social skills, and some camaraderie with classmates.

People that hate public schools, usually have unrealistic expectations of the school. The school educates everyone to the average ability.

True - - it took me a long time to understand Public School is a privilege. Public school guarantees every child an education. No where does it state an A+ University Prep education.

It IS what it IS.

Also - I was once against all the cultural programs and stuff - - but have come to realize their value in opening kids minds to differences and learning to accept them.

Public schools have to accommodate their areas. I'm in a mostly upper class area - - where the public school is really good.

In Arizona on the border - - there are cultural issues. Some Latino parents think they are interfering with the teacher if they help their kids. Its also an area where teaching nutrition and proper eating is necessary.

As far as private schools - - try finding a non-religious private school if you are not in a large city like Los Angeles.
edit on 15-2-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by gconran
reply to post by ka119

And don't get me wrong - it's not that meat by itself is a poison, but it has little value that you can't easily get from other areas. Go ahead and eat some meat if you want. But keep it low. 5% or less of your diet max. And frankly other things like dairy, wheat, refined salt and sugars, and chemicals are just as nasty (and prevalent in meat too by the way).

Gconran - I deleted the first several paragraphs of what I'm quoting from your post for brevity, and because I agree with it. Personally, I went meat-free (I ate fish) for 10 years, but then made the change back to eating meat, but eating a highly-varied, nutritionally-complete, 99%+ natural/organic diet. These days, probably about 10% of my diet consists of animal protein (land or sea.)

I have to disagree with parts of this paragraph however. Wheat (which is just one of many gluten-based grains, like spelt, rye, etc.), is a highly-nutritious food. The problem is that somewhere between 30-40% of people have gluten sensitivity (this has increased by 400% over the past 50 years - that's not from better testing methods, that's from testing of blood samples from the past and present.) Also, in general, people eat too much wheat - out of balance with their diet. It's unfortunate that people have come to believe that wheat itself is a bad food - rather than realizing overly processed, overly-hybridized, or GMO wheat products are bad (or any gluten-containing is bad if your body is not able to process it correctly.)

Refined sugars, salts, and chemicals are terrible for you. Natural meats are FAR better in comparison. Putting good clean, naturally-raised meat on the same level as chemical food additives and refined salts and sugars is like saying John Wilkes Boothe was as prolific a killer as Pol Pot.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by dogstar23

What does your post have to do with the actually OP?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by EmceeTrick

What does your post have to do with the actually OP?

Seriously? I responded to a post which is part of the discussion intelligently, and I get broken-English criticism for it? Am I supposed to, like you, stick with nonsensical posts, as long as they contain a word or phrase from the OP?

EmceeTrick - "I dunno... I think chicken nuggets should be banned and they cook real chicken... hahaha like big giant turkey legs from the faires and stuff."

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Not pointing just at you.. I mentioned it to someone else too.. Im not mad at all... I just don't how we got on this topic of being vegan or not and what it has to do with the rest of the Thread.

Yeah because the post is about the government and states searching lunboxes of children and deciding if there food is nutritious enough... Has nothing to do with what you guys are going forth about thats all I was saying. You guys are going back and forth over something that could be its own topic . And yes me saying
they should ban chicken nuggets and make real chicken has everything to do with the original post as it reffers to the fact they considered the nuggets more nutritional than a turkey and cheese sandwich..

I wasn't attacking your intelligence either.

edit on 15-2-2012 by EmceeTrick because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Hot damn! This may be the first incident with this happening but will it be the last? Really? Chicken nuggets?! Isn't that crap made out of old chickens with abnormally large breasts? Don't they pump that meat with nasty chemicals? This is ridiculous since when did schools become the parents?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by VerityPhantom

You can thank Michelle Obama for making it possible for the USDA to be in charge of telling schools they must follow the guidelines. Now some gung ho State Official took her job too seriously... and replaced an apple juice a banana turkey and cheese and chips with 3 chicken nuggets

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

You have to fill out extensive medical forms when you send your child to school, that is filled out by both pediatricians and the parents. The school is aware of all allergies, diseases and medications. If the agent did not check beforehand, then shame on them.

Yes... the school as a whole is... not this individual person walking around looking at lunches. You think she had a list off all of the students and as they walk in the cafe' she checks the list to see if that child is allergic before issuing these chicken nuggets? I highly doubt it. Don't be so blind.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
So - - apparently many assume the Chicken Nuggets come from Fast Food chains. Like that is the only Chicken Nuggets in the world.

I worked for a processing plant that prepared school food. There was a bunch of media blather at the time that the hamburgers were stuffed with filler. I know for a fact those same hamburgers were 100% beef.

The USDA restrictions on school food was insane. It did not leave the plant if there was even the slightest issue.

Perhaps it would be pertinent to first know how these particular chicken nuggets are made. Before assuming they are the same crap that fast foods serve.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I think the reason everyone is going off on the nuggets is becuase it was considered more nutritional than the turkey and cheese sandwhich. They are hella strict I know, I read the act that was signed in 2010.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

undermining their parental authority

Here is the key right here!!!! You hit that nail on the head for sure. This is exactly what the nanny state does and it does it for that express purporse. The law itself applied strictly for lunches provided by the State to the public school can show a simple standardization, just like IEEE 802.11 standards for wireless devices, to ensure that everything is interoperable and according to certain conditions. When someone starts snatching lunches from home, then we are in a new territory. What right has the State got to tell you what to pack in your child's lunch, or to force your child to eat a lunch provided by the State? This is exactly the Nanny State where they are overriding parental authority for whatever reason they deem.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I don't know what school was buying your burgers, but the schools I went to had hamburgers and it didn't look anything like beef!

I think any time we are talking about frozen chicken nuggets, it is safe to assume they are pretty nasty. I've never seen one with good fresh meat texture or real-looking chicken.

And people cannot trust the USDA guidelines to provide good school lunches, because they designated Pizza as a Vegetable, as long as it has 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Thats awful. Here in Va if you qualify for a free lunch you get what the kids who pay for lunch get. Entree, salad, drink and dessert.
Her lunch was ok. The sandwich was probably on white bread. ( killer that turns to sugar in your gut , whole grain only for kids please.) The banana is good for monkeys but is nothing but pure sugar in the digestive tract of a human and should be avoided as sugar is a killer. The apple juice was good but only if its really juice. Those little boxes are mostly corn syrup and sugar with apple flavor and water. Chicken nuggets are no better and in my opinion a whole lot worse as they are not real food at all only pseudo food.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join