It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Economic Adviser: 'We Need a Global Minimum Tax'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

White House Economic Adviser: 'We Need a Global Minimum Tax'

www.weeklystandard.com

"We need a global minimum tax so that people have the assurance that nobody is escaping doing their fair share."

"The president is looking for shared sacrifice"

"...who are being asked to be part of that shared sacrifice for the greater good of strengthening our economy..."

"...you have to have that type of shared sacrifice for this [budget] to be acceptable"
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
This Marxist mafia man wants to look me in the eye, point a gun at me, say "give me your money or I'll destroy you", then as he is walking away says: "Thank you for your shared sacrifice"? This guy is assaulting the dictionary outright. Last time I checked, getting robbed isn't a "sacrifice".

And last time I checked, running away from a robber like escaping to Hong Kong or a place much more free than the USA isn't "unfair" any more than running to a police station to escape someone trying to mug you is "unfair".

www.weeklystandard.com

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
So when he says "global" I presume he just means National

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Global?

Not a chance in hell will I let America impose a tax on me and my country. Or is this just another one of those "global actually means America because we are the only country that matters" type scenario?

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
There has been talk off and on at the UN for years of "global taxation"....could slide into that....

2nd

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by seachange

I wonder, if I don't pay?

Will the UN come after me?

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
No taxation without representation!!!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I actually agree with this. I think taxes should be based on wealth instead of income as there are too many ways to avoid the income tax while accumulating tremendous amounts of wealth. Since most of the wealth in the world no longer resides in the country the accumulator resides in, the only way to implement such a system would be a world wide agreement of some sort. All countries would have to participate or else everyone would just run to the country that didn't.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Just so you people know, there is an undercurrent of people who are fed up with money in any form. We (myself included) would like to see things work without this constant pressure to surrender more of what little we get to those who already have the lion's share.

Imagine what a few years of living very, very humbly would do. Imagine that you barely eke out a living at all. You never buy services. No luxuries at all. No cable tv, no magazines, no new car (or better no car at all). You forage and fast as a way of life. You'll lose weight and improve health. Obviously this will reduce the need for medical care. Once you clean your life out of all excess, there is nothing they can take anymore. They have it all - or any that can be had at that time.

The more people who do this, the less they will be able to take. The more you try to grab and hold onto, the more pain you cause yourself when they take it. Because they will take it.

Beat them at their own game. Self-imposed austerity is the trump card we all hold. I've done it for several years now. It is the road back to your freedom.
edit on 14/2/2012 by CosmicEgg because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
How come what I do is not valued, so I have no income, and what these scum do is overvalued, and they have enormous income, known and not known?
So, I suppose they will come after me and take me to slave camp to work and sacrifice my share

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mister_Bit
So when he says "global" I presume he just means National

Global in the scope of the US...meaning across the board in the US. Not across the "globe". When I read the title of this thread I thought it was going to be something more shocking.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by seachange

This Marxist mafia man wants to look me in the eye, point a gun at me, say "give me your money or I'll destroy you", then as he is walking away says: "Thank you for your shared sacrifice"? This guy is assaulting the dictionary outright. Last time I checked, getting robbed isn't a "sacrifice".

And last time I checked, running away from a robber like escaping to Hong Kong or a place much more free than the USA isn't "unfair" any more than running to a police station to escape someone trying to mug you is "unfair".

www.weeklystandard.com

Marxist Mafia

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg
Just so you people know, there is an undercurrent of people who are fed up with money in any form. We (myself included) would like to see things work without this constant pressure to surrender more of what little we get to those who already have the lion's share.

Imagine what a few years of living very, very humbly would do. Imagine that you barely eek out a living at all. You never buy services. No luxuries at all. No cable tv, no magazines, no new car (or better no car at all). You forage and fast as a way of life. You'll lose weight and improve health. Obviously this will reduce the need for medical care. Once you clean your life out of all excess, there is nothing they can take anymore. They have it all - or any that can be had at that time.

The more people who do this, the less they will be able to take. The more you try to grab and hold onto, the more pain you cause yourself when they take it. Because they will take it.

Beat them at their own game. Self-imposed austerity is the trump card we all hold. I've done it for several years now. It is the road back to your freedom.

I don't disagree with your idea but I don't think that is the way everyone wants to live their life. People have different preferences and enjoyments in life. There is no one way. Also I don't think just because you lose weight when you fast means that it's healthier.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by mastahunta

Originally posted by seachange

www.weeklystandard.com

Marxist Mafia

Oh, wait...

Is that Ronnie saying the same damn thing

Commie

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Debwe

I'm not saying to make it a permanent way of life. I'm saying that this method done en masse will bring the point home. They cannot take what you don't have. If you aren't creating more business for them, they have no one to sell it to.

It wasn't about weight loss or anything but that point. However, the longer you consume (in all ways) in the gluttonous, hedonistic manner of the West, the more prolonged your pain will be. The economy is far from done falling. It will get worse still by a lot.
edit on 14/2/2012 by CosmicEgg because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by seachange

Time for a revolution, people and I mean it, lets take the "proposed global tax and shove it up the rear end of Mr. economic adviser" like that he can take it and give the same rear ending to the globalist and economic elite that are profiting from the wealth of nations hard working citizens.

How about that.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I love your style Marg

Yeah I made a one-liner, I don't do it often

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SrWingCommander
There has been talk off and on at the UN for years of "global taxation"....could slide into that....

2nd

Isn't that what the IMF (Internation Monetary Fund) gets? en.wikipedia.org...
Most of the world's countries pay into it......

Or maybe even though countries pay money into it, it isn't considered a tax?

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
From reading the article, I got the impression that it would apply to every American citizen regardless of they or their money resided. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Doesn't this make American citizenship less valuable, or more expensive, however you want to look at it?

What good comes from making 100,000 American millionaires into Canadian millionaires overnight?

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Most of you are already paying global taxes....just because it isn't worded or preceived as a "global tax" doesn't mean that it's any different than what this guy "may" be implicating.

My guess, although there is little to no details on this at all, that this is to keep mega billionaires and corporations from hiding their money.
edit on 14-2-2012 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join