What is HOME to you?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Home is where i can go on my undies, open a can of beer and watch tv without feeling weird or fat or ashamed.
A place where I can hide from everyone and be myself. Where nobody can complain about me being lousy, or for listening to music by night or for doing magic rituals.
Now i just live in a house that by time to time is my home... but not always

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
Feeling bad and unaccepted is what makes nowhere feel like home. We always take ourselves where ever we go. Where ever i go there i am. It is the mind chattering about how bad we are that makes life uncomfortable.
If you could accept yourself and know that you are ok then life is less heavy and soon you feel at home all the time.

I agree with you on this point.

The problem is that most of us have a hard time accepting ourselves as we are and loving ourselves as we would love others.

My new mantra is, "I love and accept myself as I am. I am alive and this is a beautiful day."

It's weird that such a simple thought can change everything about my day.
edit on 2/14/2012 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteHat
I don't feel at home nowhere on this earth; I grew up in so many places, and even as an adult my wanders continued, so I always feel out of place, a stranger. Never lived in one place more than five years; many times as little as one year. Always finding myself asking: "what am I doing here?", sometimes on a daily basis...
There are some people, very few, who give me a feeling similar to that of coming home.

I've read once a beautiful haiku, I"m so sorry I don't remember it exactly, but it goes something like this:
"A heart without the love
On an ocean without a shore,
Forever astray..."

It's exactly my permanent feeling....

I am sorry to hear of your extreme loneliness. I feel like this sometimes, too, as if I am alone even when surrounded by people... even people I love.

I have a question for you: What are you looking for?

Each time you move, where are you going?

And, what has happened to the people who have made you feel like home?
edit on 2/14/2012 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Caggy
Home is where i can go on my undies, open a can of beer and watch tv without feeling weird or fat or ashamed.
A place where I can hide from everyone and be myself. Where nobody can complain about me being lousy, or for listening to music by night or for doing magic rituals.
Now i just live in a house that by time to time is my home... but not always

Hey. You are perfect the way you are. There's nothing wrong with being yourself.

May you someday find that place of peace without judgement.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I've been all over the world and have had many "homes". To me home is a feeling I get when I am somewhere. I have felt home in a very few places I have lived, but that " I am home" feeling is unmistakable and I feel myself being drawn back to those places.
The place we live now only feels like home because my wife and kids are here and they seem reasonably happy. This makes me happy, but I do not have that home feeling in Illinois. In fact, Illinois feels almost hostile.

The wife? She feels like its home wherever she is and I envy it.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by evil316
I've been all over the world and have had many "homes". To me home is a feeling I get when I am somewhere. I have felt home in a very few places I have lived, but that " I am home" feeling is unmistakable and I feel myself being drawn back to those places.
The place we live now only feels like home because my wife and kids are here and they seem reasonably happy. This makes me happy, but I do not have that home feeling in Illinois. In fact, Illinois feels almost hostile.

The wife? She feels like its home wherever she is and I envy it.

Yeah, it is interesting how that works out. I grew up in a place completely different than I live now, and that place never seemed like home. I always wanted to move north, so when I was able to move north - I did. I feel much more like home here, but still not 100%. Which sucks, because it would be nice to feel so secure and safe that I don't feel like anything is missing or never felt lonely.

I feel really guilty and bad saying that I don't feel like home. My family is great, my house is great, my life is pretty great. I'm just not always great.

Working on it, though.

Anyway, thanks for the response.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Once upon a time, I was homeless. It was about four and a half years ago. I was a proper bum, lived in a homeless shelter, knew people who slept on the railroad tracks and under bridges, had no job and no prospects... And a lot of time to think about what home really meant, because despite the new-found homeless moniker, I felt no different about my circumstances than I had felt when I wasn't homeless. I found that very peculiar.

I concluded after a while that home is where I want to be while I'm actually there. Home wasn't a place, it was a state of mind. So I changed mine, and I was home. It's not necessarily an easy thing to achieve. In my "home"town for example, I have never been able to feel at home, despite my best efforts, perhaps because I have never been able to reconcile my deep loathing of the place and have very little desire to do so.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ottobot

Home to me is with my partner and her two children.

Up to 4 years ago I had no real home and merely drifted between temporary events to pass the time until my eventual end.

I love coming home to an active house with people I love.

Thats home to me.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
The German writer/director Edgar Reitz asked himself this very question and made the famous Heimat films. the 2nd heimat is amazing. check them out.
edit on 14-2-2012 by mandroids because: name added.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Wish i knew where home was. i feel comfortable in certain places but never feel at home.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Home is an interesting concept -
Home seems to be a word we associate with many other things

Feeling at home with another - conjures affinity or warmth of nature of relationship, could be love
or a sign of love.
A home from home - Not one's original home yet still a place of comfort. Could apply to soul or spirit or an Alien being on a different planet that is familiar to imagined alien.
I wish I truly knew where my home was. I feel at home and also alienated because of my ideas.
Yet home I see in the way of my soul and other realms for this is a coffin of stardust we wear.
It is a costume of flesh that will return to star dust - Soul is eternal - star dust is it's toy box

edit on 14-2-2012 by artistpoet because: typo

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
reply to post by ottobot

It is not where I can draw the blinds or close and lock the door.

EARTH is HOME.

For better or worse, I love it. All of it.

Only wish others in my family would feel the same way.

Me too, for better or worse.

I'm a strong believer in God and I've asked God that, if possible, and if it be his will, to grant me a "tour of the universe" between lives, but that it will be to here that I will return with the aim to be most helpful in ensuring that nothing precious is lost, and that in the fullness of time and history, everything is gained and then some, for this our Earth, and for us, the human family.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Home = Universe (all of IT)

Ribbit

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ottobot

i have had several homes , but home to me is somewhere where you can return to ,where you can feel safe and keep your personal property and where everything is in your own taste .
by that i mean the decor and furnishings and photos of your family.

i used to work for a shop fitting company through an agency and i worked just about everywhere,
i used to live in hotels whilst i was in these places , and some times i would wake up in the middle of the night and i would have to think realy hard as to where i was , now i am settled in my home and i am retired .
home is HOME.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Home is here in the South, and more specifically North Carolina. I have been blessed enough to have traveled to a lot of places, and as beautiful and spectacular as they may be... it is always nice to get back to the South and NC.

There is just something about it that is comfortable like an old, well worn sneaker. BBQ pork, sweet iced tea, little country stores and Coke signs, Cape Hatteras light houses in yards no where near the beach, church signs warning that Jesus is coming soon, banana pudding, the Outer Banks and steamed crabs and shrimp, Civil War battlefields and markers, and the sporadic obligatory monument with the Confederate soldier, volunteer fire depts and brunswick stew sales, people that say "Y'all" and "Darling", Andy Griffith Show, fried chicken, Texas Pete Hot Sauce, and knowing that Jesus actually used a bass boat and that when He fed the 5000 with fish, Healso served french fries, slaw, and hush puppies... with tarter sauce.

Even more so are old farm houses and old homesteads. I have been to more than a few, and the old homesteads feel like home. I know where every shed and out building is. I know the layout of the house, the smells, the muddied paths off the back porch, it's as if I lived there in some past life.

My favorites are the preserved cabins and homesteads up on the Blue ridge Parkway... I stop and wander around them and they are like old friends... family really. Each crevice and crack in the chinked log walls is like the sweet smiling face of a favorite aunt or grandma.

These bonds are so great, I actually bought and refurbished an old 150 year olfd farmstead. I built barns and sheds in the traditional style and with rough cut lumber. Many people that visit can't tell the old buildings from the new. Most describe it as being comfortable... like grandma could come around a corner any moment with an apron drawn up full of just picked peaches.

Home for me is rising in the morning with coffee perking, the smell of a wood stove, bacon frying, and roosters crowing as light is just breaking in the east... just above the ridge line.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ottobot

reply to post by ottobot

It is not where I can draw the blinds or close and lock the door.

EARTH is HOME.

For better or worse, I love it. All of it.

Only wish others in my family would feel the same way.

I think that it is human nature to be dissatisfied with the lives we live. At the same time, it seems like some people can find no satisfaction with the world in which we live. I don't know, it's such a complex thing, and this is why I asked the question.

So, do you try to make Earth feel like home for others?

Or, how do you think others might be convinced that Earth is, indeed, their home?

Not really. If it doesn't feel like home to them I can't help that. I can't make them love it either. Maybe they are not from here? I know it sounds like a dumb response but sometimes I think some people are here ARE from other planets otherwise this little blue orb would be their first concern, love and home.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone
Even more so are old farm houses and old homesteads. I have been to more than a few, and the old homesteads feel like home. I know where every shed and out building is. I know the layout of the house, the smells, the muddied paths off the back porch, it's as if I lived there in some past life.

My favorites are the preserved cabins and homesteads up on the Blue ridge Parkway... I stop and wander around them and they are like old friends... family really. Each crevice and crack in the chinked log walls is like the sweet smiling face of a favorite aunt or grandma.

Home for me is rising in the morning with coffee perking, the smell of a wood stove, bacon frying, and roosters crowing as light is just breaking in the east... just above the ridge line.

I have always felt like that, too. I am most comfortable around old buildings, especially barns, close to or in the mountains. I'm sure I was a hermit at some point. That, or a barn. Probably both.

But yeah, you pretty much described what my ideal "home" would be. Steeped in history, full of friendly people who actually care about you, security, comfort.

This is why I am going to be a farmer. I have always been a farmer at heart, but now have the means to make a small family farm possible. The area I am considering for my farm is dotted with old homesteads; this is what attracted me to it so strongly. It gives me hope to think about that, like I will finally have somewhere to call home.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Not really. If it doesn't feel like home to them I can't help that. I can't make them love it either. Maybe they are not from here? I know it sounds like a dumb response but sometimes I think some people are here ARE from other planets otherwise this little blue orb would be their first concern, love and home.

No, I get it, that makes sense to me. I was just wondering if you felt like it was something you needed to help others to see.

I think it's great that you feel such a connection to our planet. I have always been earth-oriented, where I am not comfortable unless I can be planting or growing or watering or just touching soil or plants. I love the cosmos, but I think I am meant to be here for the time being.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I always said, "Home is where you hang your hat".

BUT, I never wore a hat so it's time to change my old thought pattern.

Home is where the spouse and pets are.

BUT, if they pass away, then where is home?

Home is where you sleep.

BUT, if you spend a weekend in a hotel, does that make it home? No.

Home is where the heart is - sounds nebuous enough. I'll go with that one.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lichter daraus
Wish i knew where home was. i feel comfortable in certain places but never feel at home.

I know what you mean, what is it that you feel might be missing?

I know I don't feel "at home" because I have never fit in with other people. It's always an uneasy fit... like I can get along, and even be friends for awhile, but they end up turning on me as soon as something goes wrong. I have very few friends specifically for this reason.

My last few "good friends" either began to "hate" me for voicing my opinion that didn't synch with their own, or I just stopped talking to because I had many issues and basically withdrew from the world at large... and nobody followed or even bothered to try to bring me back from that brink.

I realize this mindset is a product of my youth, but it's extremely hard for me to get close to people because I, literally, do not know how to get close to people. :-/

People tell me their problems, but I cannot trust them to listen to mine or care about me in any way other than a superficial one. It is painful.

I don't like living like that, so I am trying to change it... it's pretty much one step at a time, and maybe I will someday know how to live and be at ease.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join