It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is HOME to you?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ottobot
reply to post by greyer

There's nothing wrong with stage 1!

Yes, I've always been fascinated by the references to flying ships in ancient literature, paintings, even cave art. It's amazing to me and something that is too prevalent to be written off.

hey ottobot, I cannot begin to describe how much this thread has shown me what Home really is.

If I ever thought I had emotions, if I ever knew time, I didn't. Home is a complete transition. A 360 degree turn around. An emotion that never before was experienced. A perception never before seen.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

"Where I lie my head is home"
edit on Tue, 13 Mar 2012 09:57:24 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

edit on Tue, 13 Mar 2012 09:58:53 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by greyer
hey ottobot, I cannot begin to describe how much this thread has shown me what Home really is.

If I ever thought I had emotions, if I ever knew time, I didn't. Home is a complete transition. A 360 degree turn around. An emotion that never before was experienced. A perception never before seen.

Well, I am glad I made the thread then!

It's good that you have found some understanding, that makes me smile.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
"Where I lie my head is home"

I like that perspective.

Have you always thought and felt that, TKDRL?

I think I understand it, to some degree. I, personally, have just had a problem believing it. I mean, I can say that all I want - but feeling at ease anywhere I am has been a difficult task.

The lyrics of that particular song that most affect me:

[Metallica - Wherever I May Roam]

Anywhere I roam Where I lay my head is home

(And the earth becomes my throne)

And the earth becomes my throne
I adapt to the unknown
Under wandering stars I've grown
By myself but not alone
I ask no one

And my ties are severed clean
Less I have the more I gain
Off the beaten path I reign

Roamer, wanderer
Nomad, vagabond
Call me what you will

But I'll take my time anywhere
I'm free to speak my mind anywhere
And I'll never mind anywhere

^^ I'd like to believe that.
edit on 3/13/2012 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
So, I did an experiment.

I went back to the places I was born, the places I lived as a child and adult, then came back to where I currently live.

Throughout the whole trip there was only one minuscule moment in time where I felt that "home" feeling; when I was taking pictures in a park I used to spend time at.

The visit reminded me of how grateful I am that I no longer live in those places and reminded me of why I moved away in the first place.

When I returned to my current city of residence, I had a fleeting moment of, "Ahh, back to my comfortable place." But, it was still lacking that "complete home" feeling. Immediately following the "comfortable" feeling, I had a flash of a farm near the mountains and I thought that's where I do feel completely at home... even though it's just an imaginary place at this point.

Very interesting results.
edit on 4/1/2012 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ottobot

Always, no, it wasn't until I felt that I accepted myself, and felt like I was comfortable in my own skin. I feel much more at home in the wilderness and country than anywhere else, but I survived a few months on the streets on NYC. I think if I can survive that, I can survive almost anywhere OK.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

reply to post by ottobot

Always, no, it wasn't until I felt that I accepted myself, and felt like I was comfortable in my own skin. I feel much more at home in the wilderness and country than anywhere else, but I survived a few months on the streets on NYC. I think if I can survive that, I can survive almost anywhere OK.

Yeah, I see what you mean.

I definitely know that the longer I live and the more I learn, the more comfortable with myself I am. At this point, I like myself and am pleasant to myself. I have found that life is much better and significantly more positive now that I don't see everything through the "crap-colored lenses" of self-hate. I don't even have to try anymore - it just is and I realize that I just am.

It is indescribable, but I smile when I try to describe that feeling.

I understand what you mean about survival, I spent much of my life surviving, not quite like you, but surviving in a more psychological manner. I can survive or exist anywhere, no problem.

But, now that I realize I can live instead of just survive, there are many things I do not understand about living. So, I am learning how to live anywhere I am, no problem.

But, anyway, thank you for responding and sharing your insight.
edit on 4/11/2012 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I feel like a fog has lifted from my mind. I already knew this, but today I understand this:

I am home because home is what I am.

There is nothing to look for because home is always here.

Home is in me, is a part of me, and I am whole being home.

I Am home. Home = Me.

Kind, loving, caring, safe, warm, considerate, understanding, fair, giving, funny, laughing, likable, respectable, respectful, growing, learning, planting, living, breathing, enjoying, smiling, existing, watching, seeing, hearing, speaking, being, walking, thinking, helping, thanking, hugging, kissing, dreaming, weeping, cooking, debating, playing, building, planning, creating. Being. Home. I Am.

Thank you all so very much for your assistance and thoughtfulness and patience with me.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
A place where regardless of how long I'm gone, or how often I come back, there will be people to welcome me back. Without the people, there is no home.

EDIT: let me expand on this, I posted without reading the other comments

There are memories that flood back to you, and some sights that trigger powerful emotions when you visit your home. These are all caused by your connection with the people of your home.

For example, you might value the sight of a road where you went on your first date. Or you might value the sight of mountains in the clouds because you associate this with the feeling of loneliness you had.

But regardless of what emotions and memories these sights trigger, it's only your home if there are people that welcome you back. Without the people, this place just becomes a "former home," and it ceases to exist as a home.
edit on 29-4-2012 by Wang Tang because: let me expand on this

EDIT: one more thing

P.S. Great thread, I especially love when the thread title is a question, especially one that you would never ask yourself, but when you do it changes your outlook on life.
edit on 29-4-2012 by Wang Tang because: P.S.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Wang Tang

Yeah, I know that kind of home feeling as well. Like when I used to visit the grandparent's house. May have been years since I was last able to go, but when I got there, it was like I just went for a walk to the store, and never really left at all.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ottobot

I'm in my early sixties, married to a wonderful woman for almost 27 years, yet still am unable to find a place where I feel really at home. Since early childhood I've never been able to look up at the night sky without a feeling of not belonging here. More than once the feeling has caused a lump in my throat, and even a tear in my eye.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wang Tang
A place where regardless of how long I'm gone, or how often I come back, there will be people to welcome me back. Without the people, there is no home.

That is a wonderful thought. To be welcomed is to be loved and the feeling of knowing one is loved and appreciated is just incomparable.

EDIT: let me expand on this, I posted without reading the other comments

There are memories that flood back to you, and some sights that trigger powerful emotions when you visit your home. These are all caused by your connection with the people of your home.

For example, you might value the sight of a road where you went on your first date. Or you might value the sight of mountains in the clouds because you associate this with the feeling of loneliness you had.

But regardless of what emotions and memories these sights trigger, it's only your home if there are people that welcome you back. Without the people, this place just becomes a "former home," and it ceases to exist as a home.
edit on 29-4-2012 by Wang Tang because: let me expand on this

That makes sense. I have some strong but negative memory triggers, then some strong positive triggers. Really, though, I can't say I've ever had a permanent home, where I was always welcomed and where I knew I was wanted unconditionally. What I have now is the closest I've ever had, but I am only wanted if I fit into their standards. I "kind of" fit into the standards, so I'm "kind of" home.

EDIT: one more thing

P.S. Great thread, I especially love when the thread title is a question, especially one that you would never ask yourself, but when you do it changes your outlook on life.
edit on 29-4-2012 by Wang Tang because: P.S.

Thank you for reading and posting, I am sorry that it took me so long to respond! Take care.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

reply to post by Wang Tang

Yeah, I know that kind of home feeling as well. Like when I used to visit the grandparent's house. May have been years since I was last able to go, but when I got there, it was like I just went for a walk to the store, and never really left at all.

I have heard the same thing about true love - it's just like picking up where you left off, or that all of that missing time was nothing more than a minute.

I wonder - are home and "true love" part of the same thing? If so, what is the "whole" Unconditional love?

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bkrmn
reply to post by ottobot

I'm in my early sixties, married to a wonderful woman for almost 27 years, yet still am unable to find a place where I feel really at home. Since early childhood I've never been able to look up at the night sky without a feeling of not belonging here. More than once the feeling has caused a lump in my throat, and even a tear in my eye.

I know how that feels, it is usually looking at the sky that makes me wonder where I am supposed to be... or wonder where I actually belong.

I do get some comfort from the skies, though, because I know that anyone who looks up at the sky at night from earth sees the same stars, even if it is from a different perspective. That makes me feel less alone or less unfit, somehow. I think I feel the most comfort when I look at Orion. That was the first constellation I learned to recognize, and I always felt like "he" was watching over me.

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join