It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if America was attacked by terrorists, and we didn't retaliate?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
The only war that anyone can hope to stop is the interior war, the mental conflict. The wars are only possible because of internal conflict, because humans are conflicted (they argue with themselves mentally) internally, it is manifested in 'the world'.

I agree to an extent. But, ultimately, if world peace is ever achieved, it will be achieved as a group. So then, it would have to be the group that overcomes their group ego. It will take a group action to influence world peace. Ultimately, you are right, that group action will be influenced by individual consensus. So what if TPTB were internally peaceful? Then they could do this that I am talking about.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen

Originally posted by smithjustinb

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen

I know I know. BUT then what did we do? We sent other people's families overseas to kill and/or be killed.

Perhaps we've found some common ground. Retaliation does not mean having to send in a ground force and occupy a country. I am against that. Especially the rebuilding crap.

I am in favor of swift, decisive retaliation as a deterrent to future attacks. We have not seen that, ever. Hence, more attacks.

We also have never seen complete inaction.

Not much reaction after the U.S.S. Cole bombing.

It's because they couldn't legally prove who was responsible. Eventually though, after 9/11, we did not need proof that al-qaeda was responsible for U.S.S Cole because we found them responsible for something else. It wasn't until 2004 that those responsible were convicted. By then, we were already at war with al-qaeda

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
I think that would be wonderful if we could take a sucker punch and not retaliate with anything but understanding, love and sympathy. Killing with kindness is THE WAY to go.

However, the world is not in that frame of mind. I wish it was, there would be much less war and much more love.

But I must say that you shouldn't stand there and take a beating either.
Something must be done to stop another aggressive action.
But what if not violence?

International support in the favor of peace. Maybe after America does it, other countries follow our lead.

I agree that we shouldn't take a beating, but one or two punches to the head isn't really a beating.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I, for one, refuse to check my intellect at the door just because the word terrorist is used.

The 9/11 Official Story has so many holes in it, one must really ask the question Why are we not following the evidence as we would in any criminal investigation ? The only answer can be that the evidence trail will lead to places that our Government does not want to go.

The actions taken by our Government using 9/11 as the excuse are inconsistent with who we were as a people and nation on 9/10/01. I find that this is “Proof Positive” that the “terrorist” have WON, that is, if I actually believed the rhetoric of our Government that there is a terrorist behind every bush and at the Mall as well.

The Government now has even been so bold to classify returning vets as potential terrorist. If that doesn’t say everything in one fatal swoop, I don’t now what it would take to wake up the Nation.

So, to answer the question What if ?, the answer is :

We do NOT change who we are, we do NOT change what we stand for, and we do NOT sacrifice our Liberty on the alter of security.

What we do, do is, we bring the entire power of this Great Nation to FULLY investigate the action, and in OPEN court we prosecute the crime, and those who are actually an enemy of “We the People” are judged.

This is who we are.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

There is no profit in peace.
Please watch this; George Carlin - We like War:
youtu.be...
it is enlightening and very funny.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Please read a book on political philosophy - political science, history, or current events.

This sounds nice in 'theory', but in practice, man is never as good as he imagines himself to be. If anyone were so stupid to 'turn the other cheek' they would lose ALL respect because 'compassion' and 'empathy' is interpreted not as it is, but as weakness and stupidity.

There is a reason why people have never acted in such a way.

Ignoring one attack opens the door for another. And what then? As a quaint little experiment we should just once give the enemy who hates us enough to kill us the 'benefit of the doubt'?

Here. Try something out as your own little experiment of the feasibility of such a course of action. In your own little world, allow someone to hurt you - physically of course, and don't react. Show 'empathy' - turn the other cheek and tell us how it turns out. My prediction: The person will either be indifferent or annoyed by your response. Very few would be touched by it, because people are conditioned more by their environment and history than by feelings of virtuosity. His mind would at once become confronted by how things 'are' - i.e. how he normally reacts in such a situation, and therefore, he would react out of habit. The influence of his peers and his environment would overwhelm any possible psychic 'revelation' of universal compassion.

Now, bring that example to a higher level: to society at large. You think the intellectuals who naturally lead nations would be 'touched' by the beneficence of their enemy - his peaceful 'non-violent' approach to their affront? HA! Look at China. How do Chinese soldiers typically respond to the peaceful non-action of Buddhist monks? Do they stop because of their docility? Are they even bothered by their inherent weakness and fragility? Not at ll! In fact, not so long ago the Dali Lama advised Tibetan monks to stop lighting them selves on fire as a way to 'protest' the injustice done against them: it's simply not effective. The Chinese just consider them stupid/naive for thinking such an approach would work.

We live in an age of cynicism. People not only doubt the kindness or sincerity of others, but very often, they are annoyed by their pretension. An act of charity such as you describe would only spawn a self conscious assessment of "this crap isn't going to work. In stead of being 'touched', he will CAPITALIZE and TAKE Advantage, like any sound-reasonable person with a political agenda would do.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
I think that would be wonderful if we could take a sucker punch and not retaliate with anything but understanding, love and sympathy. Killing with kindness is THE WAY to go.

However, the world is not in that frame of mind. I wish it was, there would be much less war and much more love.

But I must say that you shouldn't stand there and take a beating either.
Something must be done to stop another aggressive action.
But what if not violence?

International support in the favor of peace. Maybe after America does it, other countries follow our lead.

I agree that we shouldn't take a beating, but one or two punches to the head isn't really a beating.

I agree, we SHOULD be setting the example! That's what America USED to do! I want that America back! So I can take pride in my country.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
America doesn't go to war because they are being attacked or invaded, they go because there is something in that country that they want to steal. Have you seen Avatar?
It is sold to the people in whatever way that is that is deemed necessary.
edit on 14-2-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
three words

shock and awe

and I agree lower the media coverage

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

If we were attacked like we were on 9/11/01 and we did not launch a retaliating attack, what would happen to us? What would happen to the world?

The obvious opinion is that we would then be invaded by our attacker. But what if our inaction sent a message of our intent for peace? What if our inaction caused our attacker to, for once, look at the state of our world, and gain a new perspective on their destructive ways? I say we should turn the other cheek. If our attacker tried to invade us then of course we would defend ourselves. But if they just tried to muscle up on us a little bit, then imagine the world's reaction to our inaction. Do you think that would be enough to shift the current paradigm?

Imagine a world of peace.

I have to admire you for bringing up a topic that is certain to get you flamed but one I sort of agree with. I think after 9/11 we had the world's concern, love and respect in our hand and could have done almost anything with it.
Not sure what our plan of action and retaliation accomplished except to kill many thousands more Americans and many hundreds of thousands of others. We also managed to become more hated than ever. We have brought the criticism and wrath of many other countries down around us. We have given rise to and inspired a whole new and dedicated group of terrorist (home grown and abroad) who are at this very moment plotting new and better ways to kill Americans.

In our EYE FOR AN EYE fervor, we are about midway through the process of "leaving everybody blind."
edit on 14-2-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

This sounds nice in 'theory', but in practice, man is never as good as he imagines himself to be. If anyone were so stupid to 'turn the other cheek' they would lose ALL respect because 'compassion' and 'empathy' is interpreted not as it is, but as weakness and stupidity.

Unfortunately, this is true. My own nature has been taken as stupidity and weakness by many people throughout my life. Until they find out I am passive aggressive. I believe in being kind and understanding, unless crossed. I would never roll over and die just to be kind. The way I see it, you can try kindness until it is clear that it will not work, then you begin the aggressive.

Violence is a last resort for anything, or should be. But it does have it's place. That is the reality that we all are caught in at this point and time in the world. Non-violence will get you killed, and dead you do no good. Avoidance is a much better form of non violence, for me anyways.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I guess you can look at it like this.

Remember the first time when the Iraqi kidnapped the cia operatives and decapitated them and strung them up from a bridge.

We did not retaliate again Muktardr ALsadr.

We should have.

Instead they tried to appeas him and backed off. Gave him his space. Russia would have leveled the city.

This was one of the most typical mistakes. We dont want to offend anyone right.... Hello its a war people.

From that point on it was open season on kidnapping and murdering peackeepers and anyone who sided with the west.

What they should have done in retailiation is the should have said listen.

You have 15 minutes to get the people in the video in a car and drop them off in the green zone.

If this is not done in t minus 10 minutes we will drop a moab every ten minutes on Sadr city. Starting on your palce of worship first. This would have been smart as this is the staging area to stage attacks from and hidout as they do.

This would have made them call our bluff and when the first moab hit the target they would have said like WTF was that. OMFG.

They would have brought the guys in and would have put an end to it.

This is real life people. I understand hundreds of innocent would ahve died as a result.

It is what has to happen.

This would have prevented the kidnappings and the chain of events which followed.

This is what caused it to spiral out of control.

This is why ISREAL is feared.

They kidnapped one soldier do you remeber. Not going to go into specifics but you know whom I speak of.

He was kidnapped.

And Isreal came out and said we want him back they said no.

They launched a war to get this one guy back.

Though he did no get home right away. They were really like holy # this Isreal is the real deal.

They got him back didn't they. So they swapped some prisoners right. I can assure you thery were all chipped with RFID trackers. So no need to worry here.

And everytime hizbola launches a strike they know there is going to be hell to pay.

This is why noboby F with Isreal. Because they say what they do.

What is scary is that what they are doing now is prepping for all out war with EGYPT IRAN AND SYRIA.
As we all sit here joking about it they are preparring the people for the worst. And we are out watching our american idol and floking off we have no idea what is coming our way. They keep telling us but we are not listening.

I don't think many people on the planet know what is about to unfold in the middle east.

What I do know is they are planning for the worst case scenerio.

Ther are ready to take off the gloves and I can assure you this will be the worst case.

Let us hope and pray this can be averted but with all the pig headed people in power specifically in the mid east that are about to get what they have been asking for the destruction of isreal.

But I can assure you they will not doubt meet there mutal destruction.

This is the way it is. This is the way it is written. This is they way it shall be.

God help us all.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Yes, that would mean you are with the terrorists, would it not?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rocky Black

This is the way it is. This is the way it is written. This is they way it shall be.

God help us all.

But it doesn't have to be. We're all on this big rock together. War is unnatural. Wars are led by ignorant people on all sides. The middle east embodies the epitome of stupid reasons to go to war. The west is going to war because of foolish pride.

ATTN world: STFU.

Sincerely,
Citizen of Earth.
edit on 15-2-2012 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I agree people are ignorant and will go to war for stupid #.

Can we stop them no.

Can we elect them out of office.

We can only try.

But the fix is in and will always be in.

It is what it is.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Then it would be like 9/11/2001 all over again,

where our government "martyred" thousands of New Yorkers

and we didnt retaliate because its our own "American" government - we'd much rather have a convenient external scapegoat, you see??

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
We are being attacked right now - by our own government, by the Fed - and the only ones standing up are ridiculed and demeaned because someone doesn't like their methods of protesting or because someone doesn't agree with their stated aims, that is if they are even aware they have goals.

We can't even go to war with the right countries when we are attacked. If 15 of the supposed 19 hijackers came from Saudi Arabia then why did we go to war with Afghanistan and Iran?

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
AMERICA Is the biggest terror state the world has ever known it attacks not only perceived enemenys but its own populace each an every day. It is responcable for instigating unrest an atrocites throughout the world,American soldiers raped murdered an done such vile things against unarmed civilians in Veitnam .Things that would make Charlie Manson Jeffrey Dhamer sick to there stomachs.They wage war on countrys useing the pretext that they may develop weapons of mass destruction.Conveiniatly ignoreing the fact that America is the only country ever to use nuclear weapons in a war,They also chose non military citys as targets HIROSHOMA an NAGASKI .As thease Citys unlIike Tokio where undamaged by conventinal weapons,So where ideal TARGETS TO GAUGE the destructive power of there new toys,Every battle feild America wages war on in the name of liberty they litter with depleated uranium missile wich poisons the EARTH for MILLIONS of years...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join