It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So who needs a man? On Valentine's Day, girls, not guys, are happy to go solo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

dailymail.co.uk

Alexandra Richmond, senior consumer and lifestyles analyst at Mintel, said: ‘Singles are more likely than those in couples to feel that they don’t have to justify their expenditure.

'They buy themselves more treats and more than half have plenty of time to spend with their friends, compared to around one in three who are in a couple.

‘These singles are also exploring new things, trying out new clubs, restaurants and activities. In many ways, they are living life to the full compared to their coupled friends.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
What's going on in your western society???
I am an Indian male and i don't care about 'valentine's day' because i don't need any special day to show my love to my wife.
Why you all are so vitriolic towards each other in most cases???
Don't you know you have every right to enjoy your life anyway you want but you also have to do your duty towards building a strong society based on a strong family base ??

dailymail.co.uk

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by deepankarm

Valentines Day is what many of us Westerners call a "Hallmark Holiday". It is an ancient day of celebration hijacked by companies like Hallmark (who make cards) to boost their own business once a year.

Apart from that it's complete nonsense. I show my love for my wife 365 days a year - I don't need a special day in order to make that known to her.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by deepankarm

What's going on in your western society???
I am an Indian male and i don't care about 'valentine's day' because i don't need any special day to show my love to my wife.
[/url]

Well said, people should love their wife/husband/partner everyday of the year!

Personally i find valentines day to be a gigantic commercial event and an excuse to try and force us into spending money on tacky gifts.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Mods, i double posted this thread by mistake.
Plz delete one.
Sorry....

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by deepankarm

dailymail.co.uk

Alexandra Richmond, senior consumer and lifestyles analyst at Mintel, said: ‘Singles are more likely than those in couples to feel that they don’t have to justify their expenditure.

'They buy themselves more treats and more than half have plenty of time to spend with their friends, compared to around one in three who are in a couple.

‘These singles are also exploring new things, trying out new clubs, restaurants and activities. In many ways, they are living life to the full compared to their coupled friends.

Way I see it, those are the people who either
1. can't get a gf/bf because of some demeaning quality or
2. can't keep a bf/gf because they are sleazy or
3. only appear to be "living" when inside they are desperate for a mate

sorry singles, I've been there and I know it's the truth!!!

edit on 14-2-2012 by Gwampo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Valentines Day is what many of us Westerners call a "Hallmark Holiday". It is an ancient day of celebration hijacked by companies like Hallmark (who make cards) to boost their own business once a year.

Apart from that it's complete nonsense. I show my love for my wife 365 days a year - I don't need a special day in order to make that known to her.

Yeah, everyone likes to believe, and say this bit...but, the bottom line is that if your wife is the only one in the office not getting a balloon, flowers, etc., then chances are, she isn't going to feel very good about herself, or you, that day...

Sure, it's extortion, but no matter what you or she says, inside, she'll be feeling left out, and unappreciated...no matter how much she shares your view, or states otherwise.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo

Way to make sweeping generalizations brah

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Well I think that says more about our western societies than anything else..
The man to whom you reply, is in my opinion completely correct, why does someone need a specific day to pay reverence to someone or something? The idea is the same behind many holidays..

You too are also correct though, if everyone else got theirs, then where is hers?
Believe it or not though, there are some women (and men) out there that would agree to the same, where they don't need a special day, those people are keepers

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Valentine's Day started out about 1,500 years ago in Europe as a day to honor a Roman Catholic saint (St. Valentine), but about 500 years ago in Europe it morphed into a day of expressing aspects of Love outside of a religious culture. For me, growing up in America as a child in mid-20th cen, Valentine's Day was a day to exchange paper Valentine's with friends and eat heart shaped candy and cookies. Leaving childhood meant expecting flowers or gifts from someone romantically attached to.

As a child, one used to count the number of paper Valentines as one now counts Facebook "friends", using the number to signify popularity, reinforcing images of self worth. It only got worse for female self worth, as not getting flowers or gifts from a boyfriend could be devastating.

Traditionally, women were looking for love and the security provided by a man who was the breadwinner.

My advice to women today: if you want flowers, candy, jewelry, etc., go buy it yourself. Yes, it's great when you and your partner exchange Valentines, but its far, far better to end up with the right partner (if one so chooses) than expecting the right gifts on a day that so commercially celebrates romantic love.

Anyway, I'm going to bet that every nation nowadays has special days to celebrate something, and not everyone gets along. Yes, nations need strong family bases, but it's what you do with those strong family bases that count. I know Germany had strong family bases, but where did that get them 80 years ago?

I love my Western culture I was raised in. I also love learning about other cultures' celebrations.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

OP, you are reading a piece from the Daily Mail and then making generalizations about American values? That makes no sense.

Btw, no one I know cares one bit about Valentines Day. As far as most are concerned, it's a Hallmark holiday, marketing ploy (which it is) and believe as you do... Love for others is shown throughout the year, not saved up for a one day spending spree.

My suspician is that those who do mark it (and other holidays like St. Patrick's Day) are using it simply as an excuse to go out and have some fun in the middle of a work week. It's just an excuse to spend some extra money doing something they already wanted do...

edit on 14-2-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

OP, you are reading a piece from the Daily Mail and then making generalizations about American values? That makes no sense.

Huh? Since when does "western society" equate to "American values"? You do know that America isn't the only country that makes up 'western society' don't you?

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Of course... appologies. Lol... a co-worker was just going on about American society as I was writing that, got the words stuck in my head. C'mon, don't be such a punk. It's Valentines Day.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

LOL me? A punk?

Apology accepted, just don't do it again

(Actually it's now the 15th here in Oz, I am sitting here in my PJ's that my wife bought me as a Valentines gift
)
edit on 14/2/2012 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I think apart from religious and historical achievements, many holidays fit into this category. Mothers Day, Father Day, ThanksGiving Day, Labor Day, St Patrick's day etc.

St Patrick's day is supposed to be a religious day and not a binge drinking frenzy.

I agree that over time, majority of the holidays are commercialized/institutionalized where there is no element of surprise left in the festivity or remembrance of the special day but rather in buying special something. I always believed in Family (Grandparents and Parents, Spouse and children) always come first. 1 day out of the entire year is not special enough. Though I feel this way and do not agree with my heart, I'm still part of the mainstream commercialized stereotyped individual who ends up buying gifts just because others do it. I'm sure many individuals do the same where they do it just because it is done that way but the feelings associated with the festivity is just not there. Although I think that certain holidays are important to pass the tradition along to the next generation, some of them have truely lost their purpose atleast in the eyes of the Profit Makers.

Sadly there is no Childrens Day celebration in the US at a national level (though some countries do celebrate) where they are the key to our future.
edit on 14-2-2012 by hp1229 because: edit content

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   

A thread based on a Daily Mail article. Wonderful.

Look, you're in India and we're ( at least a lot of us) are in America. We have different cultures, beliefs and customs. One thing you have to remember about American culture is that the average person almost HAS to do things based on what Corporate America does. In other words, if holidays are heavily marketed, like Valentines day, then it boils down to a kind of peer pressure amongst us common men and women to "keep up with the Jones". Like Gazrok said, if your wife is the only one in the office without balloons and flowers, you aint getting any for awhile. Regardless of what your personal beliefs are, you're in a culture where you're going to have to follow the beilefs of the culture if you want to "fit in."

I'm not going to into the personal details of my love life at the moment except to say that the woman who could very well be the love of my life is out there, patiently waiting for me. We show our love for each other in unconvential ways because that's the only way we can at the moment. You want to show a woman how much you love her? Show her that you'll break every rule society has just to be with her. That's what love is. It can't be tied down by societies rules or customs. It's bigger than that.

I just wanted to show you OP that not everyone in America is what The Daily Mail would paint us as being. Not everyone in America buys into the propaganda and marketing ploys they throw at us. You want a clear picture of what American people are like? Talk to US, don't listen to the news media.

youtu.be...

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I was happy to go solo. I had ex girl friends trying to get my attention but I acted aloof as I always should, most importantly my heart an soul was aloof. I can not always feel aloof. For some reason on valentine's day an angel put a field over my soul, so that I may not feel emotional pain and grief.

I know what its like to have been given real love by the magic powers of the earth. I chose wrongly, and I did not attain this love. It is unrequited love, I know what it feels like to see the very realness of love, and I see her with her new boyfriend because she chose another guy after I was not quick enough. I found out that she was the one I love. There have been other times that I fell in love and I did not attain it. I know what I feels like to love someonean have them love another person in front of you.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Thank you for reminding me how utterly sad the world is, that girls don't love guys anymore. It is painfully obvious. I have never felt more pain in the depths of my soul to know that girls don't care about loving guys anymore. I am all by myself in the world, without hope of ever being loved again because this thread is a reality lol. Girls are perfectly happy without loving guys nowadays. Love is nonexistent in the world anymore. Girls love their cellphones more than any guy these days! Love has left the world. Earth is not a mother anymore. Girls have all gone bad. We are all cursed, we are all hated, we are all doomed into pain, frustration, hurt, anger, grief, and longing because of this true fact that girls don't care about guys anymore.
edit on 15-2-2012 by greyer because: very real

top topics

join