It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Care Less

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
People, I keep reading your posts and I am sick of you not knowing how to use the term "couldn't care less".

If you could NOT care less about something - meaning you care very little - then the correct term to use is "couldn't care less".

If you actually do care about something, a lot, then the correct term to use is "could care less".

People are frequently using the term "could care less" when in fact they mean that they couldn't. It is so annoying.

I know it's mainly Americans doing it, and yes I know, you never really did have any decent grasp on the English language; however I feel that with something so silly and easy to understand, you could actually all be saying things correctly in no time if you just thought about what you are trying to say before saying it.

For example, if someone says to you in a thread "Americans are materialistic selfish fat slobs", and you would like to retort with the fact that you don't care about what they have just said, then do NOT use the term "I could care less", because that actually means that you care a great deal. The correct term for this meaning is "I could NOT (couldn’t) care less", meaning that you already care so little that it couldn't become any less.

Do you get me?

Jeez!

Peace out,

R
edit on 14/2/12 by NibiruWarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
was just about to moan about your title until i read the post,i have moaned about the same thing on here a year or two ago.do they listen,obviously not.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
just to add,perhaps if they spent less time singing and dancing in american schools and actually taught english.(and not u.s. english,really annoys me on the web when you only get this and not proper english-bloody spell checker!)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by NibiruWarrior

I just can't resist.

I couldn't care less about your rant.....

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

Lol, I am glad someone else feels the same. I mean, stuff that's supposed to be spelt differently to proper English I am fine with, it's what you were taught and in America it's technically correct (at least, for use in your country).

This stuff just drives me crazy though, so many people fail to grasp what the phrase/term even means, and yet they use it every chance they get, wrongly.

Seriously, if some of you had brains...

In any case... VOTE RON PAUL

Peace,

R

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

At least you got the term correct.

I am happy to have taught you something

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

I are have brain!

And I could/couldn't care less too...two...to...is that spelt/spelled right?

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by NibiruWarrior

At least you got the term correct.

I am happy to have taught you something

You really did not teach me anything...I already know how to use that terminology correctly. I am just having a bit of fun!

On a serious note; I do understand your annoyance.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I wish I could say I couldn't care less about all the times I read...I seen this...I seen that....For crying out loud, It's I saw this or I saw that.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

I know I was just joking with you

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

I could care less.
Although, lots of people from overseas.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

to be fair, its an excellent Devildriver song :p

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Yes that's another one! I don't want to get all anal about the correct use of English language and grammar, it's just that people don't even take the time to think whether they could or couldn't care less, it's not hard to understand when you already know whether or not you care about whatever it is your commenting on. Basics!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
THANK YOU!!!!! The grammatical ignorance being flaunted around this forum is ridiculous.

I am so thankful that you are following the site's motto.

No wonder we are controlled by our government when people don't even know proper english! Of course they will be susceptible....

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

I just can't resist.

I couldn't care less about your rant.....

why post then? LOL

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo

No wonder we are controlled by our government when people don't even know proper english! Of course they will be susceptible....

Have you considered that English is not everyones native language...and is in fact a second or third language for some posters?

Should they just quit posting until they brush up on a language your an expert in?

Talk about this sites motto...how about you try it?

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Dual post sorry
edit on 14/2/12 by NibiruWarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

In all fairness, wouldn't it be easier to simply say "I don't care", or "I care"?

If the person speaking the sentence doesn't know what words mean, they should either go to www.dictionary.com and find out, or stop using them.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
This rant reminded me of this:

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by NibiruWarrior
reply to post by jerryznv

In all fairness, wouldn't it be easier to simply say "I don't care", or "I care"?

If the person speaking the sentence doesn't know what words mean, they should either go to www.dictionary.com and find out, or stop using them.

Yes in all fairness it would be easier to use one or the other...depending on how you learned English...and on that note...wouldn't it be easier just to send that poster a PM explaining that he/she is using the term/phrase incorrectly?

I am sure that if I were using a word, phrase, term,etc...incorrectly...I would much rather have someone politely send me a message letting me know my error.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join