It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giving up facebook? Day 3 for me, and it's hard.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by DustbowlDebutante

I agree, you allow people to make judgements that they simply are not entitled to. It's interesting that your mother doesn't see that.

Looks like you did make a good choice - and me
haha as i had to sit and watch that # flood my wall.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Haites
My apologies to all if i came off as hostile. I get told that everyday from various people. My intent was not to hurt more of a tuff love approach, and perhaps my disdain for social gathering sites (including ats) my only crutch.

But will throw that away in a heart beat when it comes down to it. I desire a world to be free of FB as well as other sites. Even though im only 32 the gap from someone being 22 is tremendous. Maybe im from a bye gone era, But where i came from we didnt need the internet to get a hold of someone i simply called them. And if that failed and i couldnt get them on the phone i simply would knock on their door.

i do not understand the need to have 8,000 friends that are not my friends. But im also a minimalist and if i havnt used it within the last 6 months i dont need it, and simply toss it out.

Nahh, it's all good. I could sense the goodwill in your post - therefore didn't wanna take the agressive path haha.
I remember the days when i used to knock on my mate's door to visit. I was 10 the last time i did that. Now the internet has just made it convenient, and because i've relied on it heavily since half way through high school, it's a bit hard to see any alternative now.
But! My phone is always on, and i'm yet to receive a phone call or text from anyone regarding anything, so i suppose they weren't really serious about communicating in the first place.
One of my friends went back because she was pressured into thinking she wasn't doing herself a favour by staying out of event invites. It seems very weak to hear that.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by xxdaniel21

It's not that mom doesn't see the bad aspects of facebook...for instance, she never posts anything important or negative about herself or our family in general. She is too old and wise to get caught up in fb fights (she is coming up on 60). But she also doesn't mind having a chuckle at someone else's folly if they decide to post something ignorant or provocative. Personally, I cannot stand watching my friends and family bicker online. It's disgusting.

Something I forgot to mention yesterday (although I believe I saw another poster on this thread touch on it) is that actually, I was never that loyal to fb as I was originally a myspace junkie - and I did love myspace because it allowed me more expression and creativity in my profile and online persona than does fb. But once I found ATS and started lurking hard-core, facebook became dead to me... So hang out here with us when you get the fb itch!

Hopefully you are managing your fb withdrawals and being strong! Best of luck to you

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by DustbowlDebutante

i am! haha

I used to use myspace a lot, as that got me into it, but i slowly went into facebook out of conformity than anything else.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I think Facebook is horrible. I really hate it.
I've deleted my account on many an occasion, but the amount of # you get from people when they notice you're gone is unbelievable.
The last time I did it, I scheduled it for complete deletion.
Within an hour, I had texts from friends asking why I deleted and blocked them from Facebook, why I don't like them or what my problem is?
What the hell?
It was a chore to explain to each of them that I was fed up of people playing each other false, talking behind each others backs, swamping my feed with passive-aggressive statuses, or copy pastas. That no-one ever has anything interesting to say.
What did I get in reply?
"You really should think about who it affects before you delete your account..."

Facebook on the whole makes me angry. People waste their lives in front of it, it's the worst kind of rumour mill, and is a haven for cyber creepers.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I had to quit Facebook about 2 years ago now when I was trying to write up a dissertation for University and I believe it was the best thing I did. The most worrying thing for me for how dependent other people had become on Facebook as a means of communication. I got text messages from two friends the week I quit asking if I was "okay, as I see you've quit Facebook". I mean, seriously? I appreciated their concern but just because I quit posting didn't mean that I had some sort of accident or vanished off the face of the earth!

If I have to go to the computer rooms in work (I work in a University) I see students log onto a PC and straight away go on Facebook for what I'm sure they intend to be only 5 minutes to check for status updates and still be on it an hour later. It's a great time waster. Believe me you'll stop missing it after a while, and then you'll feel glad that you don't have it!

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lulzaroonie
I think Facebook is horrible. I really hate it.
I've deleted my account on many an occasion, but the amount of # you get from people when they notice you're gone is unbelievable.
The last time I did it, I scheduled it for complete deletion.
Within an hour, I had texts from friends asking why I deleted and blocked them from Facebook, why I don't like them or what my problem is?
What the hell?
It was a chore to explain to each of them that I was fed up of people playing each other false, talking behind each others backs, swamping my feed with passive-aggressive statuses, or copy pastas. That no-one ever has anything interesting to say.
What did I get in reply?
"You really should think about who it affects before you delete your account..."

Facebook on the whole makes me angry. People waste their lives in front of it, it's the worst kind of rumour mill, and is a haven for cyber creepers.

Beat me to it - I couldn't believe the reaction I got from deleting either. I'm not being mean, but do some people not have lives outside of Facebook?

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lulzaroonie

Bloody selfish people. All they think about is themselves, yet they don't realise the people they're hurting. hahaha

That's hilarious. I would love to get those sort of texts - although i'm yet to receive one from even my best of friends. Then again, they don't really use facebook.

I had my brother's girlfriend come up to me a whole week later and say "daniel.... when you posted that comment on my photo, i asked you what do you mean (i wrote a comment with several meanings), and you never replied. Then i just checked the other day to see if you had replied and you DELETED THE COMMENT! WTF?"
Me: I deleted facebook....
her: What....... w...why? what will you do now?

Good on you for getting rid of it! You're better for it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join