It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia's Bondi Vets PR Gaff

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I randomly caught an episode of Bondi Vet tonight (CH 10, Australia) and I was flabbergasted by the massive PR gaff that aired. For those that haven't seen it this reality show is about a hunky veterinarian and his clinic as he treats real life animal emergencies. His shows often have heart wrenching stories and in some he is reduced to tears for his love of animals. He seems like a sensitive, down-to-Earth guy right?

Bondi Vet Episode Link

In this episode an elderly man came into the clinic and presented a portrait he painted of Dr. Chris hugging a dog. It was actually a nice painting and loverly gesture. Then what transpired next absolutely shocked me: Dr Chris began laughing at the painting after the fan left. The rest of the episode had each of the vets/nurses reactions as they mocked the painting saying "Oh it looks like Chris is wearing lipstick!" He later gift wraps the painting and gives it to a fellow vet as a 'really, really early birthday present" who unwraps it only to burst out laughing.

I am very surprised that the producers let this air as it cast the vet staff in an unusually negative light. And from a PR perspective, this was a massive oversight. I understand that people's T.V personalities are fake and contrived but in an industry where everything you watch on television is controlled and filtered to present a skewed positive version to the target public/audience, this seems really odd. Especially because bullying and its detrimental effect is such a hot issue in Australia right now.

I was just wondering of those who watched the episode; did people have the same reaction of shock and appall that I did?
edit on 14-2-2012 by Kalixi because: Added a screen shot of the episode.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I didn't have to watch it, from what you have said its down right degrading, time and effort put into painting that picture and giving it to this guy as a gesture, and to be mocked for it? I bet the guy was excited to watch the episode tonight and I bet he is devastated t the fact he is being made a laughing stock!

This vet guy seriously needs to read up on how to be humble.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I used to think the Bondi Vet dude was a decent fellow until my sister had a dog emergency and took her to the only one that was open late-night in the area....being Bondi Vet. All was well and good until they got the bill - $3000 for a simple stitch-up of a cut they could have put a band-aid on plus one nights accommodation.

Bloody price-gouging bastards they are. They take advantage of the fact that he's on TV to up the price of getting your animal looked at. It's disgusting.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Kalixi

I did'nt watch the show tonight although quite often I do.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
I used to think the Bondi Vet dude was a decent fellow until my sister had a dog emergency and took her to the only one that was open late-night in the area....being Bondi Vet. All was well and good until they got the bill - $3000 for a simple stitch-up of a cut they could have put a band-aid on plus one nights accommodation.

Bloody price-gouging bastards they are. They take advantage of the fact that he's on TV to up the price of getting your animal looked at. It's disgusting.

Wow you'd think with all the money generated from multiple advertising agreements that the Bondi Vet show receives the treatment's aired would be low cost/free--I mean these people are giving the show content while paying top dollar for it.

My partners dog had a leg amputated after a car crash and we thought $1000+ dollars was a hefty vet bill (We gladly paid though because he is a much loved pet) but $3000 Woah!

It's interesting that this negative PR episode comes at a time when the voting for the 'Logie Awards' has begun...It's RIGGED!!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
What disgusting behaviour!
I didn't see the episode, & if what you've said is accurate, I'm glad.
I can't stand to see people mocking others, especially kind acts from the heart.
That alone speaks volumes about his ,& his crews true character.......
I hope the vet & his show cop a sh**load of negative publicity from this,
And the old man who was publicly ridiculed by the dick, deserves a public apology, the opportunity to respond, & to have his gift returned from the ungrateful ass.
What a turd

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I agree with all you that have posted that this is a disgusting way to behave and that maybe the episode shoudn't have been aired.
But im glad that it was as it was aired as it shows just what a jack ass the vet and Channel 10 really are.

Edit to add.
The female vet on the show is really really hot.

I wish i was the fluffy little ducks in her hands

edit on 14-2-2012 by WozaMeathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Mate it's vets in general.

$1000 for snake bite anti-venom for example

Damn rip off coz they know people will pay it.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by Kryties

Yep, they feed off people's emotional attachments to their animals. I avoid vets as much as I can, I prefer using old-school treatments on my animals wherever I can eg: my cat got into a fight the other week and managed to get a bite to the top of his head. It got pussy and infected but instead of going to a vet and paying exorbitant prices I grabbed a bottle of Tea Tree Oil and dabbed it on the wound twice a day. Within 4 days the wound had sealed and was healing nicely.

Of course, there are some instances where a vet is necessary, but having grown up on a farm makes me a little more self-sufficient than the average pet owner.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by Kryties

Mate it's vets in general.

$1000 for snake bite anti-venom for example

Yeah i agree. Its a rip off, And that they know that people will pay. I for one am one of the one's that have payed.
I not long ago had to put my 15 year old Labrador (nugget) down.
2 days before i put Nugget to rest i took Him to the vets to get him put down, but the vet talked me into paying for some tests and medicine to help prolong his life and to help ease my dogs pain, the vet ran 800 dollars worth of tests and gave Nugget medicine.
Two days later Nugget was still in pain, not eating, not drinking, so i finally took him back to the same vet and got him put down and cremated
This cost me another 700 dollars.
And sad fact is if i could have saved my dog (my mate) i would have payed anything.

These vets are like vultures preying off the weak and kind hearted. People like this make me sick.
edit on 14-2-2012 by WozaMeathed because: Cant spell

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
On a side note I took my pet rabbit to get desexed. The original estimate of $195 was high but I agreed. Only to get inflated to $498 because the vet conveniently forgot to add the costs of the pain medication, the stay in the recovery section, antibiotics and because the procedure took longer than expected. It's one of those things where you can't say "No she doesn't need the pain medication" and if I had of known the actual price (as I got cheaper estimates at other vets) I would have taken her somewhere else. Everything was an add-on "Oh after spending so much money you should get her microchipped"

So my $40 rabbit now has cost me much more.....but I still love my Pikachu!!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
All was well and good until they got the bill - $3000 for a simple stitch-up of a cut they could have put a band-aid on plus one nights accommodation.

Wow. I would NOT pay a bill like that. I'd take that guy to court for price-gouging. Seriously. If it was a simple stitch and a band-aid issue, nah, no way. They'd have to take me to court to get that money. I would make them show the costs of such an operation in front of the magistrate.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Kalixi

Thanks for the alert - I only watch occasionally but as an animal lover I will tune in - not ever again. I cannot begin to imagine how the artist felt - on having his heart felt work mocked. I am sure many will tune out never to return to the programme.

As for vets overcharging I agree. Luckily I have a choice where I live and I travel to the next town for veterinarian assistance. I like to clean out infections myself or at least clean them and let my cats do their own healing. They attend the vet when it is beyond my capability.

My vet is still pricey but does have a heart - when I had to have my beautiful fluffy friend of ten years put to sleep because of bloody renal failure - I did so to stop her pain and the vet only charged what was necessary and nowhere on the bill was the ugly e word written - that alone gave me some peace when my heart was broken.

Thanks again for the warning - no more Bondi Vet for me and I will mention it to others as well and they can make their own decisions on whether to support the show.

Much Peace...to the artist who I hope keeps drawing and painting despite the nastiness...

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
While I did not watch the episode, from what the OP describes it seems as if a few posters are being overly sensitive.
edit on 15/2/2012 by Dark Ghost because: changed wording

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Overly sensitive - I would rather be over sensitive than anything else. While I respect your opinion/comment I hope people continue to be sensitive or over sensitive better than heading in the other direction.

Much Peace...

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

Don't get me wrong, sensitivity is an important attribute that I value. I just know from personal experience that if you are overly sensitive you will get walked over and taken advantage of. Sometimes you need to develop a thick layer of skin to filter out stuff that will make you vulnerable to being offended.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

And so I stand with you. In the case of the gentleman who painted a picture as a gift of kindness - we need to protect him by reminding ourselves not to support the nasties in life - who wound others without thought or regard.

Much Peace...

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
While I did not watch the episode, from what the OP describes it seems as if a few posters are being overly sensitive.
edit on 15/2/2012 by Dark Ghost because: changed wording

I'm sure I am guilty of being overly sensitive (I'm a sensitive girl
) but watch the video. At first I tried to reason the laughter as being an act of surprise but after the repeated mocking references and puns of the staff I couldn't justify it.

What got me was that Dr. Chris Brown thanked the guy and was all peaches and cream until the fan left, then he became two-faced. The elderly man has been humiliated in front his family, friends and he wider community

I just hope the elderly man isn't as sensitive as I am

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Just checked the TEN forums and I am glad to find somebody has raised the issue there - whether or not anybody from the show reads it is another story, but at least we aren't the only ones to notice...

community.ten.com.au...

EDIT: I see some of you guys have joined the convo lol....nice one guys....
edit on 15/2/2012 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
And thats why hes a vet and not a doctor

new topics

top topics

join