It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When a scientist say,"WTF=Where're the Flares?",do you think the Big One is coming?..Next Days.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by harryhaller

OP, thanks again, and well done!!
Thank you for your appreciation and good thoughts,I am glad that I've brought this to attention as a real fact that can help people in the future.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   

WTF is a double entendre, i imagine the normal wtf was the first impulse, corrected for the boss.
I agree with this,and that is the proof that things could be much worse as we imagine as they imagine and have and other scientific data that we don't know about.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
It does not look too concerning to me, trying to work stuff out is what science is about. If they said "WTF = We are all doomed, run for the hills" then it would be concerning.

For those who cannot find it you need to scroll the image all the way to the right to find it.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

The files are inspected daily, with various comments added for anything noteworthy, such as flares and eruptions etc. So if something odd happened, someone would notice, which it seems they have. Finding NO solar flares during the peak (near enough) of Cycle 24 would have caught their attention.
Could be something long expected as last year we had some events that were discussed at one point about things that slam the sun at that time,corroborated with many many other things,like through where the solar system is passing wright now in the galaxy the solar cycle and other things.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by kwakakev
It does not look too concerning to me, trying to work stuff out is what science is about. If they said "WTF = We are all doomed, run for the hills" then it would be concerning.

For those who cannot find it you need to scroll the image all the way to the right to find it.
Nobody will tell you " We are all doomed, run for the hills" as this will resolve nothing,there is no place to hide from such an event,but such announcement will spread panic which will worsening the things.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Sorry OP .. I'm not seeing it. The scientists were looking for flares that didn't come. That happens. And I don't think that a 'down time' of a few days between sunspots and activities means a build up. I've never heard that before except with earthquakes. And even if there was a huge flare like you are concerned about, it would have to nail us dead on to cause the problems you are talking about. I'm just not seeing it coming at this point. Sorry. It will someday for sure. But I'm not seeing it right now.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

And even if there was a huge flare like you are concerned about, it would have to nail us dead on to cause the problems you are talking about
It was The Carrington Event , with no technology present like now days and with less population,and still that event cause some damage,many of what happened that day were not recorded with little communications and media.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

Nobody will tell you " We are all doomed, run for the hills" as this will resolve nothing,there is no place to hide from such an event,but such announcement will spread panic which will worsening the things.

And not every anomaly is a precursor to a bad event. It is unexpected events like these that help piece things together and find errors in the current understanding of life. I do not know enough about space weather to comment on what the answer is, but I do know enough about research that more work needs to be done when things are not adding up.

It is an interesting comment and well done for posting it, if you have a CME disaster plan then perhaps it is a good time to dust it off and have a practice drill. When there is a big CME headed for Earth then I will worry, at the moment with a lack of flare activity it is sending the message of all quite on the solar front.
edit on 14-2-2012 by kwakakev because: spelling 'work'

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

is unexpected events like these that help piece things together and find errors in the current understanding of life
Well said, because in terms of prevention we can not do anything.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

if you have a CME disaster
There is no such plan as there is no place to hide from such an event or to help rescuing technology, satellites.or other things that can help maintaining society run even at low capacity.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by diamondsmith

if you have a CME disaster plan
There is no such plan as there is no place to hide from such an event or to help rescuing technology, satellites.or other things that can help maintaining society run even at low capacity.

This is not entirely true, there will be damage but either we carry on or die. What is to be expected is that Earth will be placed in a big microwave and fry all electronics and electrical systems. Business will have to fall back to paper administration. There is shielding technology that can make a difference for critical systems. Putting your phone and laptop inside a microwave oven might help it get through depending on the strength of the flare. Don't expect any telecommunications if a strong one hit, but you can still use this technology locally afterwards. A lot of late model cars could be busted, but the older fully mechanical ones will still run if you can manage to get it started. A lot of diesel engines should still continue to work, but the lights may not come on.

When you get into the world of government and business, they plan for everything.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

A lot of late model cars could be busted, but the older fully mechanical ones will still run if you can manage to get it started. A lot of diesel engines should still continue to work, but the lights may not come on
I know ,of that is good to have a radio lamps and possibly a TV with lamps generally things that does not require any advanced technology.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   

I know ,of that is good to have a radio lamps and possibly a TV with lamps generally things that does not require any advanced technology.

It does raise the resistance to EMF radiation having older and simpler devices. With the wires being so small with todays electronics it does not take a lot to short them out. As for what makes it through and what gets fried really depends on the strength of the flare. Seeing the size of one the flares last year we would all be hurting if it hit Earth directly.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Seeing the size of one the flares last year we would all be hurting if it hit Earth directly.
Maybe will be vary strong and not Earth directed this way will go half of the road....this time.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
nothing much we can do about it ..i admit losing vital electronic devices around the world is a concern

heres a vid i watched a few years back

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by sitchin

Interesting vid Thank you,people are concerned for long now about our star and the chances are very high for the big one to hit as this year 2012 is a very interesting one from the beginning.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

Its a college kids remarks on a chart.

Its a coolge kid not a scientist remarks now come one people.

Someone was rebooting the software.

impossible to not have any activity.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Is it a scientist of a college student?

Thats the million dollar question.

I would suspect it is a false alarm.

But who knows.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Rocky Black

There are real scientists working in that place

The Lockheed Martin Solar and Astrophysics Laboratory (LMSAL)[1] is part of the Lockheed Martin Advanced Technology Center (ATC) that is known primarily for its scientific work in the field of solar physics, astronomy and space weather. The LMSAL team is part of Lockheed Martin Space Systems and has close affiliations with NASA and the solar physics group at Stanford University. Located in Palo Alto, California, LMSAL is involved in many ground- and space-based missions that study the Sun, with a sharp focus on basic research into understanding and predicting space weather and the behavior of the Sun, including its impacts on Earth and climate.
source(en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Rocky Black

Someone was rebooting the software.
No one is rebooting any software,if so then the server will close,and that remark is for real...from a scientist.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join