It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When a scientist say,"WTF=Where're the Flares?",do you think the Big One is coming?..Next Days.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

If what hits us ? There's nothing out there, what are you talking about ? A hypothetical maybe should not be the basis of an entire thread. This chart shows little activity and so that means big activity on the horizon ? My husband should hope for odds like that.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedallimn22

While I appreciate your trying to calm the masses. (good for you ) you do have one thing incorrect. A large flare or any earth directed flare takes a while to get here. Probably enough time to get a lot of things shut down to minimize damages.
Plus knowing our civic leaders ( the guys who actually run the electrical grid not the so called hidden cabal ) I am sure they have contingency plans to get things running as quickly as possible. It's not like this is an unknown threat that will surprise us some day. Its known and can be planned around.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

Poel reversals are real.

Here is something for u to chew on.

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Great information here. I know why they say WTF, is because it has not been seen in the modern era. There is a severe lack of historical data when it relates to the sun. The SOHO has been studying the sun since December of 1995 and the two STEREO's only since October of 2006. So as you can see we are all still learning.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I really hate saying this about the results of Katrina on Louisiana and the surrounding area but the storm itself was on the wan when it hit. It had gone from a strong cat 5 down to a cat 3 which is manageable in most areas. New Orleans has the disadvantage of being below sea level and the failure of its ancient levies was what caused all the damage. I was watching the storm on the weather channel and it was already passed LA when the levies broke and flooded the city. It was a lot of rain, not much in the way of wind but the water was the problem and the levies, not the storm, brought that problem. A cat 3 on any other coastal city would not have seen the same results. We've weathered many cat 3's here in Virginia without undue problems and Norfolk is another city that is below sea level in some areas.
So while hurricanes can be devastating and I would not want to be a relative of someone who was killed in any storm, most are completely manageable in the areas they do hit and no one is surprised by a hurricane as we always have days of advanced notice. Comparing the current climate on the sun to hurricanes does not mean dooms day is on the horizon, not by a long shot.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Rocky Black

Lets focus on the topic. Has there been anymor updates as of today?
I already did that,but to add in my humble opinion things are far more complex then we can imagine,geomagnetic storms on the Sun can produce CME without a flare during sun's pole reversal corroborated with anomalies in the Earth's magnetic field and there we go ,unexplained things even for scientist who says "WTF=Where're the Flares?"

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

A large flare or any earth directed flare takes a while to get here
The Carringnton Event CME flare it took eighteen hours to get here,we do not have very much time at disposal, as the time to shut down all the power will take more then 24 hours...in order to work back,of course.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by diamondsmith

A large flare or any earth directed flare takes a while to get here
The Carringnton Event CME flare it took eighteen hours to get here,we do not have very much time at disposal, as the time to shut down all the power will take more then 24 hours...in order to work back,of course.

What are you going to do when nothing happens. I know, start another gloom and doom thread as if this one never existed.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

Hey D.

Between you and me.

Would this really be a bad thing.

Look at it from this perspective.

No internet.
no tv.
no computers.
no electrical gadgets.
living life the way life was meant to be lived.

O natural.

I'll tell ya.

We the power was out when we had that bad storm. I was loving the peice and quite. Reading by candle light. Kids reading also piece and quite no one was fighting over who is up next on Wii.

The wife was a little agitated with no ammenities.

LET ME TELL YOU I WAS LOVING IT.

Now if it vaporizes us then I wont have to worry about anything at that point as we will all be fertilzer.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Are there any new updates of any flares yet.

Keep us informed of any changes please >

I'm interested 4 sure.

Thanks,
Rocky

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I'm confused what the overall message of this thread is. All that I know from my own daily surveillance of the Sun (about 7+ months now), is that things are on the quieter side now after having been close to 160 sunspots in September. We're climbing towards 70 sunspots at present. The KP Index did indeed get a tad bit up there yesterday.

I see no grave doom on the horizon at present. Things will most definitely start to pick up again, but whether or not we'll have an Earthbound X30 flare is based on a dice drop and what the Sun has in order for us. 1402 proved to be a huge bother back in January and it's now back at 1419 so I wouldn't be surprised if that thing got nasty on us again down the road. People shouldn't be fearing a chaotic flare at present all the same.

We are in the stream of a coronal hole at present and will be in another late tonight or early tomorrow so it's always good to keep an eye on things during those times, esp earthquakes, imho.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

What are you going to do when nothing happens. I know, start another gloom and doom thread as if this one never existed.
It's already happening,the breaches in Earth's magnetic field and CME's with no flares hidden from the public by the GOV are the consequence of the disinfo as DA's are many but I am sure we will defend them,FOREVER.And yes all my threads are related and are telling the truth,is not in my character to lie EVER like others.........

edit on 15-2-2012 by diamondsmith because: I know who is who

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Star for you D.

I love it lie like others.

you can't handle the truth!

Love it.

True that....

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Hmm coicidence? I was checking yahoo weather a few minutes ago and this story was just posted.

What If Earth's Magnetic Poles Flip?
The end of the world as we know it could come in any number of ways, depending on who you ask. Some people believe global cataclysm will occur when Earth's magnetic poles reverse. When north goes south, they say, the continents will lurch in one direction or the other, triggering massive earthquakes, rapid climate change and species extinctions.

Pole shift

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by paulorf86

I am very worried when a scientist make such an exclamation.This is not good.

I'm sorry, maybe I'm too dumb for this, but would you care to elaborate? I didn't get it at all.
The absence of solar activity in terms of flares could lead to the idea that the sun is preparing for a pick in activity...maybe this days,as a magnetic pole reversal from the sun is coming.

Maybe it means that the sun is taking a well deserved day off? Maybe it's just not an active day for flares?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

I already did that,but to add in my humble opinion things are far more complex then we can imagine,geomagnetic storms on the Sun can produce CME without a flare during sun's pole reversal corroborated with anomalies in the Earth's magnetic field and there we go ,unexplained things even for scientist who says "WTF=Where're the Flares?"

There are no geomagnetic storms on the Sun. See, "geo" means it has to do with Earth.

Yes, there can be CMEs with no flare and there can be flares with no CME. So what?

Did you e-mail the person at lmsal to find out what the comment was about?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Sorry my mistake"magnetic storms"

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by proob4

Hmm coicidence? I was checking yahoo weather a few minutes ago and this story was just posted.
No is no coincidence is for real and I think is about to happen.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Years ago I watched a show on the US government and them knowing what to expect when/if the Sun's goes haywire. They have had more then enough time to have equipment on the ready to get things going again quite quickly as I see it.

For myself a major event (extinction level) is coming but it will be lessoned by our family from the skies....... many will survive but sadly many will not.

Watch between Brazil and Africa along the Ridge.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

geomagnetic storms on the Sun can produce CME without a flare

Can I stop you there and can you listen to others for a moment, please?

You're going on about not lying yet the above statement is an outright lie or you are completely ignorant to the facts.

A geomagnetic storm is the result of a CME impacting the magnetosphere of earth.

There's a MASSIVE clue in the word geomagnetic and I can't believe that I've had to point it out for a second time in as many pages.

GEO is EARTH!

Geology
Geography
Geopolitics
Geoengineering

Our planet = earth = geo

Been using it to describe Earth since Greek times!

Understand now?

Geomagnetic storms = magnetic storms on earth, not the sun, EARTH

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join