It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does it feel like to be old?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
reply to post by The Sword

Good for you!!!!

I spent 20 years being 100+ over weight and finally got a gastric by pass and lost 125 pounds.

Feel like a new woman.

The fact that you did it without having surgery is remarkable, 100 pounds is no easy task.

I feel better today being lighter than I have in 20 years.

strange, my girlfriend's grandmother has lost about 70 lbs in about a month's time. from diet ALONE!
remarkable change, try it out!

edit on 14-2-2012 by Gwampo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
OK, kids, here it is: I am 75 soon to be 76 years of age.

My wrinkles have wrinkles, do I care? Yes, but it also seems wonderful that most other people
don't seem to see my wrinkles.

Do I have aches and pains, and need medication? Yes

Do I need help to get up and down the stairs? Yes

It seems to take a lot longer for personal care now. That seems funny because instead
of make up and fussing with my hair etc., just taking care of the basics takes longer.
Thanks be to God I am still able to take care of myself.

Most of my friends caution me not to call myself "old". Why not? I say tell it like it is.

I have a wonderful family, with children, grandchildren and great granchildren.

I love to read novels and if I want, can spend the whole day reading and eating...maybe taking a nap in there some where. I paint as a hobby and find this very satisfying. I still enjoy a walk outside to enjoy natures change of seasons.

I don't have a television, I get most anything I want from my computer. With live streaming I can watch the debates, and keep up any other news. I can listen to any radio station for talk radio or music I want on the computer.

I can send emails to my senators and representatives or any other politician. This can be fun.

I share my small space with a wonderful cat. He makes me laugh a lot.

I enjoy ATS...there is so much on here to wonder about. Sometimes I put my 2 cents in too. ATS is great because each person is taken by what they say. Our words are not judged by our age or state of life.

I have found that there are new benefits in each stage of life. Most of you in your 40s and 50s have mentioned some of them. It really does continue better the older I get. I also would not want to be back in my 20s.

I still do volunteer work several times a week. Most of my volunteer duties are with younger people and I enjoy being with them. Usually I learn something new every day. I texted a younger person the other day and you would have thought I performed a miracle. She said at first she tried to figure out who sent the text for me. lol

I recently retired from one of my volunteer jobs as Treasurer for a volunteer Rescue Squad. The following is the beautiful tribute that they gave me on their website. Also they gave me as a parting gift, the St Michael medal. The saint for EMTs. I treasure the time I have spent with these great volunteers in our community.

This is what they said:

"We would like to take this time to publicly thank xxxxxx for serving as
treasurer of the rescue squad for the past four years. It is a job that
requires consistency and accuracy. xxxx fulfilled those requirements, and
more. Not only did she pay the bills on time, she also issued payroll checks
for our paid staff, made the payroll tax deposits, and prepared the tax
returns. Our auditors were always impressed with the quality of our books. It
made their job easy. We continue to strive for transparency and fiscal
responsibility as we serve our community."

God is good!

Mahree

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

From my perspective, being "old" doesn't feel any different.

I remember once when I was 16 looking at someone I admired who was 30 and wondering "what does being that old feel like?"

I remember when I was in my late twenties looking at someone in their 40s and thinking "how different that must be."

Now I'm 50. And I've come to realize that your experiences, understandings, outlook, beliefs, yadda yadda do change. I equate this to perspective. And my yes, how your perspective can change with age. Your core and essence don't change however, and this is the foundation of how you feel. You don't become different, only the filter through which you experience life does.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by luciddream

And I think this comment is rather narrow-minded.

You're not taking genes into account. If people diet and exercise like anyone else, their chances of living longer increase.

Lets assume its a "Perfect world", without it, we will all be guessing. If gene is taken out of the question, people in the old days, used to work more physically than now, which was form of exercise, including, farming, etc etc

I bet they never had 99% of the food deep fried in oil either, or genetically messed around with. We will be seeing the fast food/heavy smoking generation turning 50s and 60s in current time(do you know how much money pharmaceutical company makes? During the depression in 2009~, Pharmas never lost, they gained), that's when we find out the actual effect of these things we stuff everyday.

Of course this does not apply to everyone, it applies to those who followed this path.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I have to say that I have enjoyed the humour and wisdom in the posts here. I am 53 and will be 54 in April. Aging can be different for everyone, but we share much in common. I always say take one day at a time because you never know what the next day may bring, good or bad.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Many years ago, on SIXTY MINUTES, Harry Reasoner said "I don't feel like an old person. I feel like a young person who has something wrong with him."

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by willyclem

I was born in 1948, maybe not quite as old as you, but you know when the OP gets to 40 he will find it is not old. Sure my kids thought I was ancient when I was 40. Now they are getting there themselves they realise that is not the case. As Boncho said, it is all in the mind. You are not old until you think you are old.

You can tell how young the OP must be just by the question and the age picked for being old!

edit on 14/2/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Well i am not really sure. I'm 32 and i feel older than i was when i was 19, but mentally i'm the same guy i was back then minus the lack of exprience and stupidity kids have in thinking theyre invincible and indestructible. I don't want sex as much either, at the age of 19 with hormones flowing i wanted it all the time, now i am like "so what?".

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Open2Truth

Absolutely. Thats just what I think and have even said as much, our core and essence remains throughout, no matter what our age.

Age = more experience and depending on our intelligence we can learn from that experience and maybe garner a little wisdom! Sometimes, but not always. I speak for myself here, sometimes I surprise myself that after soooooo long I still havent learned lol.

Different things become important, the priority list shifts about more. The most simplest things begin to matter more, a smile, good loving relationships, kindness. Material takes more of a back seat after years of striving for those very things. Not one material gain can be taken with us but the love we have experienced can not be taken away.

I know I am sposed to be middle aged but I dont feel middle aged. I feel as I always remember feeling inside, I just have a bigger memory storage facility. The aches and pains havent hit as yet, I wont be impressed when they do. You feel as you do inside now and you will still feel as you do now but years later with many more stories to tell.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

I have only read your opening post...
I am 57 years old and I'm sure that qualifies me as being
older.I do take advantage of my senior citizen discounts.
edit on 14-2-2012 by mamabeth because: changed mind

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
It feels exactly the same as being young except your body disagrees with that

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I'm only 40, but I felt pretty old when seeing the Grammy Red Carpet, and realizing I simply didn't know who half of these people were...

Odd too, as I do listen to a few different stations and new music, but guess I'm just a bit out of touch with the music scene these days.

Another sign maybe...most new music is total crap.

I mostly feel my age when doing anything really physical. (Like when I go paintballing). Those young ones can simply run rings around me (but I'm often a better and more patient shot).

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
In my head i am 20, but my body dosen't know that....and that's fine, although slower and

not as pliant, my head always tells me "of course you can."...and so i do!

But then my lovely well meaning daughter calls around, and i get "you shouldn't be up those

ladders" AND "your not going out in those heel's are you?" AND "shall we shop for some more

SENSIBLE shoe's?"

And i reply whilst my head tells me I can and my body complies nothing will change!

When my head beleives i am no longer capable of the above i think i may start to feel old!

Six years ago whilst researching my 'family tree' I found a long lost half brother of my grand -

mothers and i arranged to meet him he was 100 years old that year and arrived at our

rendezvous driving his fiat panda!!
...sadly he died four years later.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

edit on 14-2-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge
Aches and pains, and plenty of them... in places you never knew existed before.

- Gravity. Not pretty.
- Grey hair is not just a colour... it's also a wirey, crispy texture.
- Finding your car keys can become an all day matter.
- Misplacing your reading glasses can make the difference of whether you just opened a can of tomato soup or a can of ravioli.
- You compare ailments as a form of conversation with your friends.
- You start growing hair in areas that you shouldn't.
- Your teenage acne scars disappear nicely into your wrinkles.
- Short-term memory goes down the toilet, long-term memory gets better.
- Hence the reason why you talk a lot about the 'good old days'.
- Comfortable shoes are your new best friend.
- You start using your arms as leverage every time you bend down, or climb stairs, or get off the couch.
- You learn to slow down with everything because you no longer have the speed of a rabbit and it hurts too much to even try.
- The younguns address you as 'sir' or 'madam' or 'old coot'.
- You realize you will no longer be able to eat your favourite foods without "paying a price".
- People now respect your wisdom as being "wise".
- Your house is paid for.
- Your car is paid for.
- Senior's discounts. Bonus.
- Retirement. Double bonus.
- Retirement savings to blow on senior's discounts. Bonus bonus.

And last but not least:

You curse every stupid evil knievel thing you ever did in your youth because now you have...

... Aches and pains, and plenty of them... in places you never knew existed before.

damn, that hits the nail on the head

ditto....

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
When you're young, you look to the future and are filled with hope.

When you're old, you look to the past and are filled with regret.

Enjoy!!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I'm only 40, but I felt pretty old when seeing the Grammy Red Carpet, and realizing I simply didn't know who half of these people were...

Odd too, as I do listen to a few different stations and new music, but guess I'm just a bit out of touch with the music scene these days.

Another sign maybe...most new music is total crap.

I mostly feel my age when doing anything really physical. (Like when I go paintballing). Those young ones can simply run rings around me (but I'm often a better and more patient shot).

Lol I stopped paintballing in my 20s as even then it was killer for a couch potato.

being 40ish also, I have to agree with you on the music. Just wow, I cannot put the radio on unless it's some relaxing stuff or a metal show playing 1980's metal. ha.. new age hippy crap or the stuff I lost my hearing, and more than a few brain cells, to. Ohhh..

Why I even suffer walking in the sun for a length of time, as my entirely sunburnt body attests to. Thank god for aloe vera plants. -- and the worst thing about getting old, is not realising you sound like it until you read back what you just typed.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo

Meaning?

Each person is different.

You do not know my genetic nor my medical background.

Does your girlfriend's grandmother exercise everyday?

Does she go over 1,300 calories a day?

Did her grandmother receive radiation treatments in 1918 that perhaps affected her DNA?

Did her grandmother die of Thyroid / Lung Cancer at 52?

I sir lost another 25 pounds after that.

My doctor says I could practically live on air.

You presume to know my medical background and slip in a witty remark showing your prejudice and ignorance.

Every day I restrain myself more so than you or your girlfriend's grandmother ever could.

By your comment you in a sly, witty and hateful way said, "Why don't you try restraint".

Again, you need to read all my previous posts on my DNA being compromised (radiation) before birth.

I have thin girlfriends that eat three times as much as me and don't exercise.

If your purpose was to hurt me, you succeeded.

Happy Valentine's Day Gwampo.

edit on 14-2-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

19 years old seems like just yesterday, but you look in the mirror & go "when the @#$%#$# did THAT happen".

Really, except for some "senior moments" you think like you are a teen, but your body begins to develop aches & cramps when you ask it to move.

As the comedian Billy Connely puts it, "You know you're getting old when you start making sounds every time you get up from your chair".

edit on 14/2/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I'm 71, definitely an ancient one! I don't think of myself as being old until I face that mirror everyday. OOoo.wee, that can't be me! Wrinkles and salt and pepper hair makes it hard to lie about my age.
Oh..me! When did I start wearing a size 14....Just a few years ago, I was an 8! What is with this body shape ? Hmm, well..maybe I need new glasses.
AND..I have shrunk a whole inch down to 5'3''. At least I can walk under that low hanging kitchen chandelier, Everyone else bangs their head on it!!.
And some of my younger grandchildren are asking can they have this or that when I die....little rascals!
Just another chapter in life......I love it!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join