It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by ofhumandescent
reply to post by The Sword
Good for you!!!!
I spent 20 years being 100+ over weight and finally got a gastric by pass and lost 125 pounds.
Feel like a new woman.
The fact that you did it without having surgery is remarkable, 100 pounds is no easy task.
I feel better today being lighter than I have in 20 years.
Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by luciddream
And I think this comment is rather narrow-minded.
You're not taking genes into account. If people diet and exercise like anyone else, their chances of living longer increase.
Originally posted by CranialSponge
Aches and pains, and plenty of them... in places you never knew existed before.
- Gravity. Not pretty.
- Grey hair is not just a colour... it's also a wirey, crispy texture.
- Finding your car keys can become an all day matter.
- Misplacing your reading glasses can make the difference of whether you just opened a can of tomato soup or a can of ravioli.
- You compare ailments as a form of conversation with your friends.
- You start growing hair in areas that you shouldn't.
- Your teenage acne scars disappear nicely into your wrinkles.
- Short-term memory goes down the toilet, long-term memory gets better.
- Hence the reason why you talk a lot about the 'good old days'.
- Comfortable shoes are your new best friend.
- You start using your arms as leverage every time you bend down, or climb stairs, or get off the couch.
- You learn to slow down with everything because you no longer have the speed of a rabbit and it hurts too much to even try.
- The younguns address you as 'sir' or 'madam' or 'old coot'.
- You realize you will no longer be able to eat your favourite foods without "paying a price".
- People now respect your wisdom as being "wise".
- Your house is paid for.
- Your car is paid for.
- Senior's discounts. Bonus.
- Retirement. Double bonus.
- Retirement savings to blow on senior's discounts. Bonus bonus.
And last but not least:
You curse every stupid evil knievel thing you ever did in your youth because now you have...
... Aches and pains, and plenty of them... in places you never knew existed before.
Originally posted by Gazrok
I'm only 40, but I felt pretty old when seeing the Grammy Red Carpet, and realizing I simply didn't know who half of these people were...
Odd too, as I do listen to a few different stations and new music, but guess I'm just a bit out of touch with the music scene these days.
Another sign maybe...most new music is total crap.
I mostly feel my age when doing anything really physical. (Like when I go paintballing). Those young ones can simply run rings around me (but I'm often a better and more patient shot).