It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does it feel like to be old?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Reggae

Not me, things upset me more easily............but I've always been a worry wart.

Think positive, read, listen to and associate with people who make you feel good and are positive.

Life really is too short to be negative.

Do what you can to make the world a better place for you having graced it with your presence and leave the rest to fate.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I think it would be different for everybody. so i don't see a point in asking someone else how you are going to be and feel when you are old. They obviously don't transform into anything different they are still human beings. sorry I'm not 40, but this seems like a silly question to ask. Not a dumb question though, because there are no dumb questions.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
This is not thread meant to offend anyone, I'm just curious as I've been thinking about old age and how it must feel like. By no means am I eager to get old I'm just wondering.

This is meant to the members above the age of 40 I suppose? Is old age how you expected it to be? Do you often think about your younger years etc?

when I was in my 40`s I didnt feel like I was old. Last year when I hit the big 50 well Im starting to feel a little more aged but in no means do I feel old yet. However I do realize, as I was under 40 at a time in my life that the younger people think 40 plus is old. At my age I feel alot more knowing of life. When i was pre 40`s I "thought" I was wise. It is just recently I am understanding wisdom come with true old age. I am at the first step of all my years of expereincing life is beggining to form a sense of wisdom. Older is being more aware, I dont give a value to material things anymore. Im happy with what I have which is enough a income we dont starve we manage to pay utilities and mortgage, barely, but we are happy. being older you get to go wherever you want when you want if you have the money. I do not have to worry about a minor child and his or her needs. I can sleep as long as I want. Being older usually means yoru married, by my age my husband and I can communicate through eye contact, words are rarely really needed. Enjoy being young, remember the expereinces you have had gain from them walk through life with readyness to expect and recieve and when your older you will be answering some youngin asking you the same questions...peace

Adding: your bones hurt, muscles cramp up at the drop of a dime, im slower but then again I already had my fast paced life as a youngin, I like being slower. I notice things that i never use to even take the time to look at.
edit on 14-2-2012 by lbndhr because: added a sentence

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge
Aches and pains, and plenty of them... in places you never knew existed before.

- Gravity. Not pretty.
- Grey hair is not just a colour... it's also a wirey, crispy texture.
- Finding your car keys can become an all day matter.
- Misplacing your reading glasses can make the difference of whether you just opened a can of tomato soup or a can of ravioli.
- You compare ailments as a form of conversation with your friends.
- You start growing hair in areas that you shouldn't.
- Your teenage acne scars disappear nicely into your wrinkles.
- Short-term memory goes down the toilet, long-term memory gets better.
- Hence the reason why you talk a lot about the 'good old days'.
- Comfortable shoes are your new best friend.
- You start using your arms as leverage every time you bend down, or climb stairs, or get off the couch.
- You learn to slow down with everything because you no longer have the speed of a rabbit and it hurts too much to even try.
- The younguns address you as 'sir' or 'madam' or 'old coot'.
- You realize you will no longer be able to eat your favourite foods without "paying a price".
- People now respect your wisdom as being "wise".
- Your house is paid for.
- Your car is paid for.
- Senior's discounts. Bonus.
- Retirement. Double bonus.
- Retirement savings to blow on senior's discounts. Bonus bonus.

And last but not least:

You curse every stupid evil knievel thing you ever did in your youth because now you have...

... Aches and pains, and plenty of them... in places you never knew existed before.

Your reply had me laughing, it is sooo true.thanks

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
At 53, many many people I knew, either related, or unrelated, favorite pop icons, passed on. It's a sobering awareness. I also am starting to feel like a time traveler. this world I am in now, seems alien to the one of my childhood. It's true, the PTB have not allowed us to advance very much, with energy, transportation, medical breakthroughs. But if you were born when I was, and before that, you can very -clearly- see what has become of America the nation.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I think the generation that was born after 70's is going to live shorter life and have lot of sickness.

-Increased car, emission, environmental stress
-Increased Fast food restaurant, and relying on them for quick bite
-Processed Food, Hormone fed food
-Increased work time, increased stress etc

My Grandma is 91, only thing she ate until she hit 85 was her own garden grow veggies, now she relies on meds because she can't garden like she used to.

I'm 25 btw
! My mom had me in her last 30's.

I have great respect for older people (60+), i haven't met anyone(sane) that gave ill advice to me.
edit on 2/14/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/14/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

What does it feel like to be old?,

I'll be 50 in June. I had always looked forward to it. Kind of a milestone. It was going to be a big deal for me. I had envisioned going someplace special with my husband - maybe to Greece and Egypt - and having one of those fancy cakes like you see on TV etc etc

I've had health issues for 10 years. REALLY sick for the past two. And without a miracle it's just going to get worse and my eyesight will be giving out. Now, instead of looking forward to a celebration on my birthday, getting old to me means that I'm one day closer to freedom ... to release from this 'useless transport vehicle' for my soul and that I can be free that much sooner.

With my illness I can't even eat the cake I wanted. It sucks. So to answer your question .. I'm glad I'm getting old ... it's like finishing up with high school so that I can move on to college.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I am 52. My mind does not feel old but sometimes my body does. I have aches and pains but keep very active and do not let a little pain stop me. I look in the mirror and see lines on my face. I am proud of these lines for these are my battle scars from times in my life I have overcome. At my age I know what I like and know what I don’t like. I hang out with people that are positive and have cleaned house of others that try to bring me down. I have learned some people will never change but I have the right to walk away from them and not have them in my life. At this point in my life I could give a hoot what others think of me as I have learned to be happy with who I am. I believe there is less stress because as you age you realize what is important and what is not. I have learned to embrace the boring days as some months they are few and far between. My faith in God grows daily and this brings me inner peace. As I tell my kids, everything works out the way it is supposed to. On days when they are down I make them smile!!!!!
Now that I am a Grandmother I have realized that my heart just grows bigger with love for my family and friends and that is what matters.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I'm 45 and last Summer I told a 20-something to get off my lawn. I went inside and almost cried into my soup and crackers.

I only have one more ache than I did in my youth, and that is from an auto accident in '04. It has gotten worse over the years, and there will come a time when I will have to use a cane, but for the most part my body hasn't begun to betray me. I'm exercising more now than I have in years. My blood pressure, despite my 60+ pounds of extra weight, is 100/70. I've always had bad eyesight, and my hearing has decreased since my 20s. I can still chase my son around, and when I catch him, even though he's almost my height now, I can give him a run for his money.

Every time I see an AARP commercial I announce loudly "FIVE MORE YEARS, BABEEEE!". My coworkers, most around 20 years younger than I, laugh. But we're all good friends, and I feel younger with them, and they don't treat me like an "old coot". There are plenty of age jokes, to be sure, but it's all in good fun.

Getting older is a part of life. Don't worry about it, take care of your body when you're young, but don't not do the things you want to in order to preserve yourself for you latter years. Do the fun stuff when you're young, and hold on to those memories when you can't do them anymore. Life will be much less bitter that way!

/TOA

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

This question is interesting and if 1 looks into their self deep enough there maybe hidden answers already in the open. Now consider the age of the human SOUL* how does it feel to you today. Feels lost not clear of where it came from or where its going. Has forgotten old skills to survive and protect itself. The soul is easily taken advantage of since it cannot remember its original instincts ect. Yet the SOUL is ETERNAL but ANCIENT and has forgotten its past and potential WARS that have enslaved the soul in a flesh body to trick it into accepting this reality over shadowing the real reality being played against the SOULS. A little off the OP but not really if you can consider your souls being ancient and War fought against and for.. Nevermind my age though

edit on 2/14/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Everyone has pretty much covered what it feels like to be old.

A couple of things I've noticed, your eyes go so when you look in the mirror, you can't see yourself clearly. It is a wonderful design adaptation imho.

When you fall, you fall like a tree. No catching yourself, no reactions, cause your on the ground before you know what hit you, so to speak. This is the first indication that your reflexes are basically gone, and your mind is not gonna help.

edit on 14-2-2012 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I'll be turning 50 in july. A doctor told me - when I was 21 and had emergency surgery - that I wouldn't make it to 50. Ironically, the Doc's dead now but I'm still around and kicking !!

I do miss my twenties but what can I do? I am still uncomfortable every time someone calls me Sir. Sir was my father !!

I no longer have the energy I had, the pace is a little slower, hair is vanishing from the top of my head and reappearing in my nose and ears...

Strangely, sex is more enjoyable. Might be due to the fact that it's not all day long anymore but kind of a full moon thing...

I enjoy life most of the times but do miss the "good ol' days". I find that today's music is lacking what it had in the seventies and eighties. I no longer eat a full pizza before going to bed. I take naps when I can.

My reflection in the mirror is not what it used to be that's for damn sure. But the mind is still young.

Forever Young.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
I'm just curious as I've been thinking about old age and how it must feel like. By no means am I eager to get old I'm just wondering.

This is meant to the members above the age of 40 I suppose? Is old age how you expected it to be?

40.... OLD AGE??

Oh man... you just skipped middle age and went straight to old age huh?

Man... I started thinking about my younger years and thinking about my youth and so on in my 20's, let alone anything else.

I'm guessing you're probably 14-15 right?

Age is a state of mind...

As they say, you're only as old as the woman (or man) you're feeling...

edit on 14/2/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Won't be long before I hit 40.
I don't act any different, I don't feel any different, but those AAH BRAS are starting to look mighty comfy.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

40+ is not old and for women probably the best years; for men it's all the way down from there

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I see a lot of good stuff being said here. I am not that old yet, only 56, but have many older friends that are between seventy and ninety. They are my friends because I pay attention to what they say and know their knowledge is important. I've always thought that way. Most young kids are conditioned someway to feel what they learn from schooling is more important than what their parents and relatives teach them. The concept is false. You learn from everyone you meet, everything you read, and all you see. If you see only what you want to see you are not learning much. If you understand only what a group of people you associate with understand than you aren't learning much either. I wouldn't trade my life as it unfolded for anyone elses. I am me. I am made of everything I know and have experienced. You can teach an old dog new tricks. For some reason the young always think there is a generation gap. HeHe, you gotta sit in the grandparent seat, I love watching my daughter learn the truth on her own now that she has kids of her own.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

I asked my ninety-nine year old great grandmother this question.

She said to me, "Dear child, you have to ask someone older than me this question; I haven't got there yet." " I just hope when I do,that it starts out slow; I don't ever want to feel as old as I look."

She was still flirting with the young bucks as she called them and every scowl was a feeble attempt to cover for a smile. My great-grand lived a hard but simple life. She was a wonderful baker and took orders and baked her wares everyday except Sundays up until three weeks before she died.

If she ever felt old, she never admitted it and never showed it.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

And I think this comment is rather narrow-minded.

You're not taking genes into account. If people diet and exercise like anyone else, their chances of living longer increase.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
A few weeks short of 64 here.
Been tent camping around the states since last May, still on the road.
Hiking nine miles in a morning can still easily be done, but not as easily as forty years ago.
I am a rock hound, so will spend a day with several pounds on my back climbing rock strewn mountains swinging a four pound sledge and chisel.
The occasional senior discounts are nice.
Use to spend a lot of time with elders, now I look around and I am one.
And it is a lot farther to the ground than it use to be!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Well, I am a wee bit over 40 and I don't feel it at all. Mentally. Physically, I get ticked off when my knees crack walking down the stairs or being stiff when I kneel or squat for more than 5 minutes.

I've always danced to the beat of a different drum, so I am looking forward to being called eccentric instead of weird or crazy.

I love the comment about dancing in the rain! Something I have always done and hope to do until the end.
I actually take more time now to have fun when the kids come home, instead of worrying about housework. It's not going anywhere. I keep learning and trying new things.

I do find myself speaking out more, when I see something I don't like, even the little things. Like a teenager the other day in the store. 3 of them walking in the isle, towards us, none moving over. I stopped and said, "That was rude, you should have moved over." Kid looked at me like I was nuts, hubby just laughed.

Really, for some reason, the only thing that is bothering me, are my hands, starting to have a slight wrinkling on them. I have no idea why none of my other wrinkles bother me, just my hands.

Oh yeah, and being a women, gravity is most definitely not your friend as you age.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join