It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does it feel like to be old?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
This is not thread meant to offend anyone, I'm just curious as I've been thinking about old age and how it must feel like. By no means am I eager to get old I'm just wondering.

This is meant to the members above the age of 40 I suppose? Is old age how you expected it to be? Do you often think about your younger years etc?

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   

You spend alot more time being furious at others over what should be obvious.

Remember that six minute mile that you ran in High School???

How you dropped after you crossed the finish line?

When you are old, you know that you cannot run a six minute mile. EVER again.

You realize that retrieving something dropped on the floor; it really is much farther away.

You can still jump out of bed and be mentally alert; even witty from a hospital bed...

it's just that overall stiffness stops one from 'jumping'. No more breakdancing.

It's strange to be called "that old guy" because you don't feel old, just look it.

However, on the upside, the way that you see other 'old folks' that you've known your whole life...

most of them still appear young; even though kids call them old.

Watching kids of all ages growing and learning becomes a rewarding treat (and infuriating.)

There are too many positives and negatives but you realize that you still don't know everything.

Sense of appreciation for little things grows.

FYI: When I was 16 I thought 30 year olds were old and that I'd never make it that far.

I'm nearly ½ century now.

Afterthought: Most importantly, the decisions made in youth will have a profound impact on how

one answers the OP. Because I was cautious and made shrewd choices; chose what I wanted

not what was trendy etc...

The closer to 50 the more I have been drawing on great childhood memories...

and a few (very few) that haunt (as they should.) God Bless! God (or meditation) can guide choices!
edit on 2·14·12 by DrMattMaddix because: ... I can!!!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Well I just turned 59.

And I have some advice.

If you smoke, drink excessively, do drugs or are really obese.......................get a hold of your bad habit(s) and try to take really good care of your body.

Exercise, eat healthy, don't do drugs, smoke or drink too much alcohol.

Why?

When you are young you think you will live forever, nothing will ever "bring you down".

The quality of life you will experience in old age will be determined how well you treat this vessel you now are the proud owner of.

Every decade marks a change.

Most noticeable for me was 50 (I just turned 59).

Some things I notice and it's different with everyone:

I get more stressed out over little things.
My sleep pattern has changed, I now only need about 5 - 6 hours of sleep, wake up and maybe take a little 1-2 hour nap.
I do feel more "centered"......I seem to see the end coming closer vs having "all the time in the world".
Movie stars, the latest fashion, being beautiful, partying, even having jewelry don't matter to me any more.
I find that helping others, giving of myself, like rescuing a dog that was on death row, spending time at a homeless shelter serving up food, bringing blankets and clothes makes me feel good.
When I was younger I was clueless, more immature, more selfish.
Now I see what is really important in life, being kind. Being the change I want to see in the world.
My bones ache, I could tell all yesterday snow was coming, could actually feel it coming.
I don't feel as "good" as I did at 20, 30, 40 - but I don't exercise everyday like I should.
I don't care as much what other people think of me................I try to play nice, share and if people don't think I'm cool, tough titties!

Watch the funny, cute movie, "Death Becomes Her"..............it says a lot. Take really good care of your body NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't trash your body because the better care you take of you, the happier and better quality of life you will have.

I love hanging around kids, animals and happy, positive active people because they bring you up.

Take poor Whitney Houston as a example, all that money, fame and beauty and dead at 48.

Below is a most significant saying I have tacked up on my wall. (I collect quotes):

“Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.” - unknown

Buy yourself that expensive scented soap (look at my profile for some good soap and body butters).

Use that scented candle that you haven't touched because it's so fancy.

Take a candle light bath.

Dance in the rain (If there is no thunder or lightening)

Practice random acts of kindness, actually this will make you feel good.

Read, explore, never stop trying to learn new things.

Actually if I came across a bottle with a genie in it and he/she offered me a chance to go back to being 20, I wouldn't - I actually like being 59.

I've got my health, my husband of 38 years, 3 sons (approaching middle age) and a beautiful, beautiful grand daughter who seems to have a good head on her shoulders............the apple of my eye.

And then there is my dog, I've had the privilege of sharing my life with now six dogs and various cats that were all rescues.

Your physical body aches more, your hair gets thinner, but I try to keep my mind sharp. I've always hated violence but as you get older it becomes (for me) more repulsive and senseless.

I see how senseless some of the "stuff" I use to think was important is, like having the best house, the fanciest car, the nicest clothes or highest heels.

I enjoy dressing for me, I like to be comfortable, in jeans, a nice warm loose top and my big wooly socks.

Another movie that I liked was "Leap Year" in the movie it is said, "Always kiss your love as if it is the first time and the last time."

Finally, many people say they die regretting things they never got to do.

I, myself have found my biggest regrets have been opening my big fat mouth and saying hurtful things I didn't mean to. My biggest regrets are what I have said, never have I regretted keeping my mouth shut.

But that's just me.

Everyone is different.

to everyone out there in ATS Land.
edit on 14-2-2012 by ofhumandescent because: grammar

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Age is all in your head. People use age as a political tool, but if you choose to, you can be young when your old and old when your young. It's all up to you.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
If you think old age is 40+ I foresee a worrisome, shrink filled future for you. Stop worrying about when you will be old. As far as I am concerned, old age will be my last 30 sec of life, and I was born before Truman beat Dewey.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I am 59 ... I feel no different than when I was 18...
...I only realize my age when I look in a mirror.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by DrMattMaddix

Good reply.

I get really shocked seeing Henry Winkler and Richard Dreyfuss, Robin Williams, Diane Keaton and Meg Tilly looking "older".................I remember when they were young.

Heck, even Tom Hanks and Dan Aykroyd are getting to look old now.

God, where did the time go????

All the people I've outlived.

John Lennon
John Ritter
Michael Jackson
Amy Winehouse
Princess Diana
River Phoenix
John Kennedy Jr.
Jackie O
Whitney Houston (was a shock, but I didn't realize she had a drug problem, don't read about stars much).

My husband is 67 and every time we hear of someone else younger that has passed on, it's eerie because you think, God, I thought for sure they would have outlived me and here we are still muddling along.

I remember Jamie Lee Curtis in Halloween when she was a teenager
Now she's doing Activia Commercials.

Lindsey Lohan, Dakota Fanning and Christina Ricci as adorable little girls.

My grand daughter is almost as tall as me now
Everyone jokes that other than the dog, I'm going to be the shortest one in our family.

Well, Happy Valentine's Day to everyone at ATS.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Baz Luhrmann Said it perfectly with "Wear Sunscreen"...

By the way i'm only 22. but this song seems to me to put it in perspective:

Wear sunscreen
If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it.
The long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own
meandering experience.
I will dispense this advice now.
Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth, oh never mind, you will never understand the power and the beauty of your youth until they've faded.
But trust me, in twenty years, you will look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way you can't grasp now, how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked. You are not as fat as you imagine. Don't worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is as affective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind. The kind that blindsides you at 4 PM on some idle Tuesday.
Do one thing every day that scares you.
Sing.
Don't be reckless with other peoples' hearts; don't put up with people who are reckless with yours. Floss.
Don't waste your time on jealously, sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind.
The race is long and in the end, it's only with yourself.
Remember compliments you receive, forget the insults.
If you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
Keep your old love letters; throw away your old bank statements.
Stretch.
Don't feel guilty if you don't know what to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives,
some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don't. Get plenty of calcium.
Be kind to knees, you'll miss them when they're gone.
Maybe you'll marry, maybe you won't.
Maybe you'll have children, maybe you won't.
Maybe you'll divorce at 40, maybe you'll dance the "Funky Chicken" on your 75th wedding anniversary.
Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself either.
Your choices are half chance, so are everybody else's.
Enjoy your body.
Use it every way you can, don't be afraid of it or what other people think of it. It's the greatest instrument you'll ever own.
Dance.
Even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Read the directions even if you don't follow them.
Do not read beauty magazines, they will only make you feel ugly.

Get to know your parents.
You never know when they'll be gone for good.
Be nice to your siblings.
They are your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.
Understand that friends come and go.
But a precious few, who should hold on.
Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, for as the older you get, the more you need the people you knew when you were young.

Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard.
Live in northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft.
Travel.
Accept certain alible truths: prices will rise, politicians will philander, you too will get old and when you do, you'll fanaticise that when you were young, prices were reasonable, politicians were noble and children respected their elders.
Respect your elders.
Don't expect anyone else to support you.
Maybe you have a trust fund, maybe you'll have a wealthy spouse but you'll never know when either one will run out.
Don't mess too much with your hair or by the time you're forty, it will look eighty-five.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.
Advice is a form of nostalgia.
Dispensing it is a way of wishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling for more than it's worth.
But trust me on the sunscreen.

A long read, but worth it...

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Aches and pains, and plenty of them... in places you never knew existed before.

- Gravity. Not pretty.
- Grey hair is not just a colour... it's also a wirey, crispy texture.
- Finding your car keys can become an all day matter.
- Misplacing your reading glasses can make the difference of whether you just opened a can of tomato soup or a can of ravioli.
- You compare ailments as a form of conversation with your friends.
- You start growing hair in areas that you shouldn't.
- Your teenage acne scars disappear nicely into your wrinkles.
- Short-term memory goes down the toilet, long-term memory gets better.
- Hence the reason why you talk a lot about the 'good old days'.
- Comfortable shoes are your new best friend.
- You start using your arms as leverage every time you bend down, or climb stairs, or get off the couch.
- You learn to slow down with everything because you no longer have the speed of a rabbit and it hurts too much to even try.
- The younguns address you as 'sir' or 'madam' or 'old coot'.
- You realize you will no longer be able to eat your favourite foods without "paying a price".
- People now respect your wisdom as being "wise".
- Your house is paid for.
- Your car is paid for.
- Senior's discounts. Bonus.
- Retirement. Double bonus.
- Retirement savings to blow on senior's discounts. Bonus bonus.

And last but not least:

You curse every stupid evil knievel thing you ever did in your youth because now you have...

... Aches and pains, and plenty of them... in places you never knew existed before.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by troubleshooter

Well I sure the hells don't feel the same as 20 but maybe you've taken better care of yourself.

My girlfriends all say they don't feel the same as when they were 20 either and we weren't too wild.

Good for you.

I still can't believe when I look in mirror I'm starting to look old..............my heart still feels young.

But my doctor says my skin and hair are like that of someone 15-20 years younger so that's good.....see my profile I use some really nice soaps and body butters (I'm getting into making my own with raw shea butter, grapeseed oil and coconut oil)

Love Lost Mountain Lavender - expensive but one 4 ounce bottle (just need a few drops in distilled water for a spay) makes the most heavenly perfume.
edit on 14-2-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Very true.

But I find that as a 30 year old, that the only real age discrimination that occurs in the workplace is against YOUNGER people. This is contrary to what my father's generation wants us to believe. I have more work experience than another co-worker but he got the job because he's 45 and he's been brown-nosing for 10 straight years. Every generation has tried to suppress the next and so on. This will continue.

When I was a teenager, my father told me that you had to start from the bottom and work your way up to the top. That's not the reality that I see everyday. I still work and I have a plethora of activities that keep me busy outside of work (schooling, DJ'ing and I was on a state commission at one point).

The advice of ofhumandescent is very useful. About 2 weeks before I turned 30, I enrolled in a weight-management program. So far, I've lost close to 100lbs and I continue to do so. I'm re-inventing myself because like ofhumandescent, I can see a future where my quality of life may not be as good as it is now. I don't want diabetes, high cholesterol and heart disease. I think I'm on the right track.

This is the kind of advice that I cherish here on ATS. Thank you to the person that suggested it.

As for age, when I was 18, I felt like I was 33. I'm 30 now and I feel like I'm 18. You are only as old as you really feel. If I could go back in time to give some advice to my 18 year old self, I would suggest that my younger self go to college earlier and to stay away from certain people and situations.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

Okay, okay you should get 1,000 stars for your truthful reply..........made my day.

Best reply yet.

And your avatar is rocking cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Tank Girl right?)
edit on 14-2-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DrMattMaddix

LMAFO saw that video earlier today.... best sh+t ever! I love to see people being real good parents! kudos to you!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Do you get calmer as you get older? Old people always look so calm and never worried. It's not fun being a teenager with anxiety I'm sure i'll get over it.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Thanks !

Unfortunately, I didn't heed the advice of taking care of myself in my youth and now my body is paying the price. Creek, groan, snap, crackle, pop...

But I'm still able to let my hair down and have fun with the best of 'em.

Old is a state of mind.
It truly is.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reggae
Do you get calmer as you get older? Old people always look so calm and never worried. It's not fun being a teenager with anxiety I'm sure i'll get over it.

Yes, as a matter of fact you do get calmer.

After so many years on the planet, you realize that sweating the small stuff never worked nor helped, and never will.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Havoc40k

Excellent reply - Good advice.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Im a bit worried.....a poster above says when you get older you get mad at things that should be obvious....im 23 and that bothers me....I think im going to be a extra grumpy old man if I live that long.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Good for you!!!!

I spent 20 years being 100+ over weight and finally got a gastric by pass and lost 125 pounds.

Feel like a new woman.

The fact that you did it without having surgery is remarkable, 100 pounds is no easy task.

I feel better today being lighter than I have in 20 years.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Thanks!

and a very happy Valentine's to you too!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join