It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at Lake Vostok?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I have been following the Lake Vostok drilling and exploration for quite some time now, and i find it highly interesting.

I know there has been many threads, regarding it on ATS, but i think we need a thread, where it can be updated, as events happen there. Afterall, some scientists has called this "the final frontier" for discovery on earth, and the information, regarding old atmospheres, and possibly even life forms, contained within this lake, might yield alot of information.

What is kinda weird though, is that since the breakthrough, into the actual lake, there has been very little news surfacing regarding, what is going on there. I googled, quite a bit, and could not find any new information. Just the same old news, about the breakthrough that has been made, with no new information.

I understand that it will take some time, to maybe analyze samples and such, but surely, we can be told, that they have at least extracted samples, and a rough idea, of what is in these samples.

If anyone would like to contribute to this, i would really appreciate it.

vvv
edit on 14-2-2012 by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Was just reading t an article on it at Space.com
Seems like we will find out more near the end of the year.

Even now, the team won't be able to investigate their findings for another year. The drill they used only retrieves ice samples. When they broke through, water poured into the hole they bored. The Russians will extract it after it freezes, in late 2012.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Looks like they have to wait til summer

But the drilling technology it used means Russian scientists will have to go back to collect frozen samples of the lake water for analysis in 2013.

That leaves the door open for U.S. or British scientists to steal the lead. Both teams will be equipped with microscopes, enabling them to analyze the freshwater samples each expedition will bring up from two other shallower subglacial lakes.

Both will also head to the bottom of the world in the next Antarctic summer from mid-October this year until February; the British team to lake Ellsworth, the Americans to lake Whillans.

news.nationalpost.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
go you honestly think they would come foward with any brand new discovery they found???!!!
ya and they would tell us if they found the ark of the covenant too!!!,or what is in the chamber below the shpinx!!!
i gave up on this when i was lookind at antarctica on google earth and there were spots all blacked out!

keep dreaming though!!!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Yes, it does seem like it has become some sort of race between these countries.

I also understand, they are now moving into an inhospitable "winter" in the arctic, wich will make it allmost impossible to do anything.

I guess we just have to wait.

vvv

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by reficul
go you honestly think they would come foward with any brand new discovery they found???!!!
ya and they would tell us if they found the ark of the covenant too!!!,or what is in the chamber below the shpinx!!!
i gave up on this when i was lookind at antarctica on google earth and there were spots all blacked out!

keep dreaming though!!!

Mate, calm down please.

It is not about discovering, a supposedly "mysterious" artifact, like the Ark of the Covenant, or something similar.
This is about scientific findings, regarding organisms, and micro organisms, bacteria, etc, wich is not some mysterious thing, something from a legend, or fairy tales.

Sure, it would be rather intriguing, if they found something out of the ordinary there, but i am not holding my breath.

vvv

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

You do realise that the blacked out spots on google earth are where the sattelites that were taking the photos trajectory would not allow them to get a full picture.This is known as a "Pole Hole" and is due to the mosaic stitching of the satellite imagery.

There are plenty of photos on the internet of the Antarctic as a whole..

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
You can't just create a similar thread to the Yellowstone one on this subject, it's only as big due to an active community looking at the daily readings and having open discussion. Vostok really only has exploration then hopefully some big findings. I hope they find an alien spaceship with Elvis at the steering wheel

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

I know there has been many threads, regarding it on ATS, but i think we need a thread, where it can be updated, as events happen there.

That I think we all would like to see, but we are talking about scientists here, they I think only report back to their authorities, who will not disclose any findings. And if they do it will be via major science papers, sponsors or institutions ...

Don't think they have permission to share their findings with us... And I don't think you would like to journal them sitting on a camp site on your own with -80 degrees on the Artic ice..
edit on 21/12/2010 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Good idea! S&F
I have also been paying close attention to this topic for about a year now. It seems impossible to find good information and the recent Russian drilling news has been hard to piece together.
If I find anything I will post it on here.
It’s hardly the final frontier tho; we have only discovered something like 3% of our oceans.
MSM didn’t seem interested at all in the story; I guess it gives the wrong impression about Russia. They want you to think Russians are primitive idiots or something.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
so this isnt strange or odd?
here

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   
star for you jazz, i was just looking for the putin link! how could he have received some of it if it's not out yet.. .methinks there IS something going on!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I would have preferred nasa undertaking this important mission. The manner in which the russians have carried out the project is so amateurish the samples they take are likely to be contaminated with bacteria/microbes from the surface, and likewise contaminated the whole lake in the process..... If they do manage to retrieve a pristine sample and discover unknown organisms that have evolved/survived down there, it will be a big boost to the likelihood of us one day finding life in europa's subsurface ocean.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Truth_Hz

explain the blurry areas over are 51!!!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

swamp gas

2nd

top topics

join