It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Commuter Step Over Unconscious Schoolboy To Get Tram

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I could not believe this would ever happen in Britain -

A MOTHER has condemned Britain’s “walk on by society” after rush-hour commuters not only ignored her unconscious schoolboy son but even stepped over him. Oliver Tiplady, 14, was wearing his school uniform on a tram platform at 8am when he suddenly fainted and cracked his head on the concrete. But rather than rushing to help, hundreds of commuters ignored him, with some even stepping over the child to board their tram.

www.express.co.uk...

No other real details to add, not sure exactly when this occurred though it appears recent.

Surely there was a camera somewhere to record this?

I might could have seen this happen in the US, but England?
What are we becoming?

edit on 14-2-2012 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I am so proud of the humans today, they have been programed well... The dollar is worth more than any human can ever be...

Where is the train off this insane rock?

::EDIT::

Forgot to add..

Empathy exit stage right.
edit on 2/14/2012 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I might could have seen this happen in the US, but England? What are we becoming?

Really? I could see that happening in England, but not the US. Reminds me of that awful post I made about the girl getting run over by a few trucks with nobody stopping to help until around the 40th person (I think China). Actually I suppose it has happened here, and probably everywhere. I remember a story about a young woman stabbed repeatedly with a ton of witnesses, all of whom decided they didn't want to get involved. Perhaps people reading this thread can make a pact. If we see someone in danger, and we can help, let's just go ahead and do it.
edit on 14-2-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I wanted to add this also, This was done in the US, so we are not immune to such stupidity of lack of empathy of others...

Just makes we wonder, Do you people actually think before you walk by or just not think and hope someone else does the job for you and that the person would be aight..

Anyway whatever whats the video its the same thing as the above post but it was only an exp to see what people do.. not a real thing..

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Unfortunatly it is happening more and more in the uk , having experienced it myself being disabled an having fallen over in the snow not long ago, and people walking right by me.
I had to phone a friend to come and help me, its a sad world when people walk by people in need, but it does happen, i was never bought up to behave like that neither are my children, its very wrong

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Very disturbing story.

I don't quite understand your attitude when you say "I could see this happening in the US"

What makes you think that Americans would ignore an injured child?

Absolutely not my experience. I've never been to England so I won't assume I know the attitudes of people there.

Have you ever been to the United States?

Perhaps you meant China

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

I was in nursing 40+ years ago. I hope I would rush to her, take her pulse, scream dial 911, maybe dial it my self and try to check her physical condition.

If she had no pulse or was not breathing I would begin CPR and start screaming for someone to help and do something.

People have got to start to care.

--- Diane if you are out there, bless your sweet, kind heart. ---

So many people are now becoming heartless, a$$%&$#s...................what is going on with humanity????

What goes around comes around.............Karma is a bitch only if you are.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Oh my God! I'm in the UK, and I can't believe ANYBODY could be so heartless! I've never witnessed anything like that happening, but I have seen people collapse and been among the numerous people who've rushed to help. Please don't get the impression the OP article is typical of us here. It's shocking, and bewildering.

And having watched that clip of the toddler being repeatedly run over and ignored has broken my heart.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toffeeapple
Oh my God! I'm in the UK, and I can't believe ANYBODY could be so heartless! I've never witnessed anything like that happening, but I have seen people collapse and been among the numerous people who've rushed to help. Please don't get the impression the OP article is typical of us here. It's shocking, and bewildering.

And having watched that clip of the toddler being repeatedly run over and ignored has broken my heart.

I am also in the uk an as i said earlier it happened to me, alot of people are very heartless now adays, i was so shocked by the lack of compassion by people

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by imnothereru

Than move over here to Hanover Park. I was walking around the block a few years ago, nobody around. I was fat than (before gastric bypass).

Fell and within seconds, eight or nine people came pouring out of their homes, helping me up and dialing 911.

I felt the love.

I was so embarrassed, I said, "No, I don't need any help and was cranky (embarrassed) but to everyone in Hanover Park that day that came to my aid and I was cranky, thank you.

There are kind people, many of them.

Judge each person by their actions and don't lump them together.

People are getting scared by all the law suits and afraid of catching a disease, illness or getting involved.

Sad.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Calls to mind the scene from H.G. Wells' story 'The Time Machine' where the time traveler arrives in what he at first assumes is a golden age of human civilization. Stories such as the O.P. reveal H.G. Wells' projections not too far fetched. Let's just hope he wasn't correct about the Morlocks too, otherwise the D.U.M.B's may be another bad omen.

(from 1.35 mins)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Im so glad people came to help you, im in a wheelchair an no one helped they walked right past even tried not to look, i dont want to give out my location , but im glad to hear there are some human people left in the world with some compassion

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Years ago, I was walking near my flat in Walkden (Manchester - same general area as the OP), when I spotted a tramp lying at the bottom of the park steps, and he feebly gestured for me to help him. I headed down the steps, and was stopped in my tracks by my flat-mate who'd seen what was happening. She shouted for me to get away. I was confused, but headed towards her, because of the urgency in her tone and facial expression.

A moment later, the tramp was standing at the stop of the steps, perfectly unharmed, laughing, and hurling the most disgusting obscenities at me.

My flat-mate was familiar with his antics.

That incident has prompted me to exercise more care. But, for crying out loud, this was a little boy, with loads of witnesses. Who the hell steps over a child in trouble! There's something seriously wrong with those people.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by imnothereru

Im so glad people came to help you, im in a wheelchair an no one helped they walked right past even tried not to look, i dont want to give out my location , but im glad to hear there are some human people left in the world with some compassion

I'm so sorry you experienced that. I once slipped on ice when I was on crutches, and three people came and picked me up and carried me to my door!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   

About 6 months ago I was walking down the street and noticed a very large woman riding a 3 wheel scooter on the sidewalk. The kind of vehicle that old people use to get around or obese people that can't walk far use.

They were going very slow and I quickly caught up to them. I was just behind then when the woman drove over an uneven part of the sidewalk and her scooter tipped sideways towards the street and she fell.

I hurried to help her and see if she was OK. She was much to large for me to lift her by myself. There were two people driving in their cars that saw what happened and they exited their vehicles to help. The 3 of us were able to help the woman stand back up and she thanked us and continued on her way.

There was a few others who also came to assist after the people got out of their cars. But we didn't need their help to get the woman back on her scooter. They stayed anyway and asked the woman if there was anything they could do to help. The woman told them she was fine, just a little embarrassed.

It took about 10 seconds and this woman had 6 people rushing to help. That's been my experience here in California. For the most part people will ignore you and leave you alone. But if you are in obvious need of help, people don't hesitate and strangers will all team up to make sure everything is OK.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

I got a little emotional after I watched that. The only person willing to help was a sometimes homeless woman with a limp. I don't think she named him for herself, she already wanted to help. She gave him a name to humanize him so that others would stop. I've seen that weird thing happen where if just one person is brave enough, others will join and offer assistance.

It reminds me of giving a speech in school. Nobody wants to go first. Someone else goes and everyone wants to go next. My friends lets always be that person that goes first. A fellow human beings life in peril is not a stupid test, and just stopping could trigger someone who remembers first aid to help.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by MathiasAndrew

The reason I said what I did about how I could see it happening in the US is because I've lived there for 50 years. I was knocked out by someone who wanted my money and left in a parking lot while people walked by. I was really as mad about people not stopping to see if I was alright as I was about getting mugged.
Call me an Anglophile but I've always thought the English to be among the most polite and helpful people in the world.

This does remind one somewhat of the Kitty Genovese story; the woman who was murdered in a street in NY while many heard but did nothing to help.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
In Portugal, not helping or not acting to get help to someone in an apparent danger of dying is considered a crime, punishable up to 1 year in jail.
edit on 14/2/2012 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

There's a law that actually makes sense!

::whispers:: How hard is it to emigrate to Portugal? Do you take in disaffected Americans?

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Didn't you see the last episode of Sienfeld?

There are "Good Samaritan" laws that exist in the United States also.

en.wikipedia.org...

definitions.uslegal.com...

knowledgebase.findlaw.com...

healthland.time.com...

edit on 14-2-2012 by MathiasAndrew because: add link

top topics

join