It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.0 Earthquake just recently hit near Japan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
It looks as if it is on the latitude with the california 5. something quake. Could be pre tremors, idk?

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
those poor people.. haven't they had enough to deal with yet

japan needs to evacuate. why they haven't already is a complete mystery to me.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
10.km deep
tsunami warnings or what?

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
It was only a 6.2 so people just plod on regardless
I know this as I am on the 26th floor here in Tokyo and the only reaction from people was a nervous look over the cubicle walls
It's funny what people can become used to and we are glad for the 6's and NOT the 8's or 9's
call it a release of stress at the fault..... we only get nervous when they stop for a long period of time

that was not the worrying quake anyway, it's the ones happening around Fuji that concern us more and they are becoming a bit too frequent

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
There seems to be quite a few at the moment.
I've found this site to have real-time updates on not only earthquakes, but also floods, biohazards, volcanic alerts etc.
So far there's over 20 earthquakes already going on.
Emergence and Disaster Information Service

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Hm shows a 2.5 just hit Greece, too, also at 10km.
edit on 14-2-2012 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

Mercalli scale: 1
Date-Time [UTC]: 14 February, 2012 at 06:25:02 UTC
Local Date/Time: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 at 06:25 at night at epicenter
Depth: 10 km (6.21 miles)
Region: Europe
Distances: 6.82 km (4.24 miles) of Sarti,

Just looked at the USGS Quake sheet and they now have two for Japan.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Ok, S&F.

I am seeing a lot at shallow depths, happening in the past 24 hrs there. Lots going on in Indonesia, Hawaii, Mexico, etc. all seeming to have similar latitudes. Giving me a strange, uneasy feeling. Perhaps I have never noticed coincidences like this before, I don't know... but, watching it with you.

Also seeing things on RSOE and having USGS open at the same time is probably helping add to the unease, as I am seeing these pop up in real time. Just odd, perhaps not to the novice quake watcher, but to me it is.

Interesting, however!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Libertygal
Hm shows a 2.5 just hit Greece, too, also at 10km.

That could be an aftershock of the 5.3 earlier in Greece USGS

Also, 10km is often a default depth until it's been reviewed better.

edit on 14-2-2012 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by skitzspiricy

Thanks for that info, I was unaware of this fact.

What determines which ones end up on the USGS list or not? Seen other ones from Portugal there, and seen others listed as 2.5 on the one link, but this particular one is not there tonight?

The one that was not shown on USGS nearly the same lat as California/Greece was listed as a 2.5 in Portugal, at 31 km. Seen a lot at this depth as well.

Now another in Hawaii, and one in Estado de Baja Mexico - rather close to California. This is fun to watch, even if it adds up to nothing, but noting the similarities in position is quite intriguing!

Never really just watched the maps before.

NM

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

USGS, Don't list world-wide earthquakes under mag 4, They only list under mag 4 for the USA.

Here's another good site. Not sure if this is the site you got your 2.5 Greece data from. But will post the link anyway... EMSC

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Thanks for the link! Something else to watch.

It's keeping me entertained!

Wow another one. This one in Turkey, close to the Greece one, but deeper. Still along the same line though. With all the Mexico quakes creeping up that fault line into California right now, if the two lines happen to intersect... hmm. It's kind of like watching a train track for a wreck about to happen or something.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   

If you use Firefox as your main browser, you can get an earthquake alert add on, which shakes as they come in.

Also, not sure if you have been following any of the Quake Watch threads on here, lots of good info, discussion and quakes posted as they come in.

Quake Watch 2012

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Aaaand as if almost on cue, there goes Japan again. Wow. Ok, so this is getting creepy. I was watching for California because of the Mexico/Cali quakes on that fault line, but it went, instead, right to Japan.

Right straight to Japan. Thing is, there isn't a fault line in that direction either way, so what? The activity seems to be going in damn near straight lines.

How odd is this? Seriously? Anyone ever seen something like this before? It is like ping-ponging across this small spectrum of latitudes.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   

No, don't use Firefox, though I know I should. Just too lazy to install it though my husband has. Know of any good links for an Android phone app? Heheh.

I have read some of the quake threads from time to time, but thanks again for the link. Perhaps now is a good time to revisit that!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   

It's actually very common for quakes to ping-pong across the pacific ring of fire, it's incredibly active and fascinating to watch.

Ring Of Fire

I have an App called Earthquake Alert on my phone, which is pretty good.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Yeah that is cool, but what about from Greece to Turkey to Japan, to California? Or are they Greece, Turkey ones on nearly the same latitude as Caifornia coincidence? I can understand the ping-ponging on the Ring of Fire between Japan and California though, but I am seeing it in something of a different manner I suppose. The way they are popping up, it almost seemed like Greece caused Turkey caused Japan.

Then, the first Mexico one hit, one in Cali, then the second Mexico one. So now, waiting for the next ping-pong back to California. However, the Mexico started out large, then went to medium, then to small, so not expecting much of a pong.

But the Greece/Japan/Turkey ones don't seem to be changing that much in scale *unless* you add in the California ones.

But yes, the ping-ponging circle I get, but this seems a ping-ponging literally across the globe in nearly straight lines. Is why it has me up all night watching!

Thanks for the app link, will see now if it will work on my phone. Just got a new one, I love it so far!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   

You're welcome

There was a thread a while back about earthquakes being on pretty much the same latitude that might be of some interest to you.

What is happening at 37.75N latitude?

I'm still very much the novice when it comes to Quakes. But if you have any questions, the resident quake watchers over at the "Quake Watch" thread could answer some for you, they are a lot more knowledgable than i am.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Getting the app now, and you have been wonderful!

Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions you did, and the links you provided are *so* appreciated, especially the app. Going to install it now!

People like you are what keep me coming back to ATS. Thanks so much.

And we just got our ping and pong from Baja to Cali again. This is rather fascinating. Seems to be very close to the Transcontinental Transform Fault, especially the Mexico ones. The California ones almost seem to be like "echoes". Being really new to this, it almost looks like something is afoot in Mexico, not California.

Thank goodness they are small, but now moved to a depth of only 0.4 km.

new topics

top topics

join