It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Windows 8 drive people to Mac?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Apple plans on setting up a store with in a store concept with Target www.wired.com... with this happening do you think Windows 8 which I think will fail cause people to buy a low cost introductory Mac Mini at $599 instead of a Windows 8 PC?

Being able to buy a Mac in a Target will help sales as it will make it more accessible than a Best Buy or Apple Store to get to. That and people are buying up iPads and iPhones. If they see a $599 Mac Mini I don't see why they wouldn't buy that too as it doesn't have junkware preinstalled and viruses are very low on the platform.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Never go mac, is horrible, as for Windows it will always be better than mac, there is plenty of awesome OS's out there just gotta pick witch one, sure you have to get an emulator to run games. deal with it.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by PharohGnosis
Apple plans on setting up a store with in a store concept with Target www.wired.com... with this happening do you think Windows 8 which I think will fail cause people to buy a low cost introductory Mac Mini at $599 instead of a Windows 8 PC?

Being able to buy a Mac in a Target will help sales as it will make it more accessible than a Best Buy or Apple Store to get to. That and people are buying up iPads and iPhones. If they see a $599 Mac Mini I don't see why they wouldn't buy that too as it doesn't have junkware preinstalled and viruses are very low on the platform.

There are always going to be people who realize that mac is an over priced pc with a cool white case.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Windows 8 seems like it won't be too bad on a tablet or phone... It'll be rubbish on a PC though.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I'm just a bit disheartened that they're devising a window 8 OS already. It feels like just yesterday I got a windows 7 OS computer and it was brand spanking new and amazing. That was heck.. Almost two years ago now. It's unbelievable. But no, I don't think people will run off to mac. I think Windows 7 is amazing and I don't think they'd change the gameplan too much in the production of 8 but then again, we all saw how awful Vista turned out to be.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by PharohGnosis

Windows 7 has already driven me to Mac.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Dood
I will never go mac

I have been building
my own rigs for years...

windows 8 wha eva
PC games

the whole my Mac doesn't get virus or hacked argument
can go ahead

have you looked in a Mac lately
they have intel processors

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I don't use either.

I run Linux OS and Ubuntu for a graphic user interface

there is nothing like open source free software

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
win 7 here and i like it. i think win. 8 is more based on the touch screen and the like. witch i dont plan on getting cus i dont want to have another thing to clean every time it gets finger prints on it. so im not going to mac or win 8 till my 2 computers drop dead, but by then i hope there will be a better program out by then. as my computers are a little less than a year old

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by PharohGnosis

Alot of people, like my self, do not like Mac. I like to have more control over my hardware, Mac doesn't allow this. Mac is great for people who just want to plug ad play Music, movie, editing software. I don't roll that way.
edit on 13-2-2012 by spiderbadarse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
mac sucks , i heard its for kids who don't have the mentality to use a PC so they made a handicap version of a pc and called it MAC. That's why it has one button instead of two in the mouse

mac is their friend !

PC all the way wooot !screw windows 8 . always themes to make windows 8 look like 7 or vista. So i'm not bothered.

1. The only business model for Apple is narcissism.

PC all the way !

It beats

Mac's
Ps3's
360's
Wii's

Still king of ultimate computing!

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
There's always a lot of Mac vs Windows talk...

But for most of us who aren't using computers for graphic art, video editing, quality sound recording, etc., we just want a legit laptop for a few hundred dollars. I've only ever had Toshiba Satellite laptops - they're cheap and do everything I need them to with no issues at all.

If Apple offers me a Mac for $350 I'll buy it. That won't happen and I'll keep my Toshibas. But I do love my iPhone

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
is that what
windows 8 is gonna be?
a touch screen version of windows...?

I am so over this
novelty touch screen tech ..

I prefer my displays
smudge free

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Myomistress

Thanks, that always gives me a laugh.. The old Windows 7 is AMAZING and Vista blows. Well sorry to rain on your parade but windows 7 is vista under the slightly different eye candy and minimal amounts of tweaking microsoft put into it.
"Damn Bill for some reason these people just won't let go of their WinXP's."
"Well I wouldn't either after it took us 3 service packs to get it stable."
"That's it Bill! We'll just release Vista SP3 as Windows 7 and make bank."
"You know that may just work, since no one bought Vista they'll never see it coming!" *Maniacal laugh*

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I only have one machine with Windows XP, and this is the machine I'm on now. I run Mint Linux 12 (Lisa) on my laptops and other machines. For those of you that have never tried Linux, I suggest Mint. It has all the video codecs and audio codecs and restricted drivers. It will work on almost any new machine, and it's open source. Comes with Libre Office and some music and video apps. Give it a try and let me know what you think? Mac is ok if you are into graphic arts or music, but beyond that, it's a Windows world out there.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Arekoteya

Windows xp worked perfect for me for nearly a decade, I didn't even have issues with it way back in the day.

Two things keep me from getting MACs, one is price. The other is great games.

I do like Linux, but wine doesn't always work for me
otherwise it would be perfect. (and neither does cedega)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
The way I look at it, just buy what Hardware is best for you whether you want something cheap or powerful. Who cares if it's a Mac or PC these days? You can install Windows on a Mac just like you can install MacOS X on a PC... Hell lets dual boot this shall we?

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Mac is not going to replace windows any time soon. I hate fan boys, both OS have their advantages and disadvantages. Macs are made to be supper easy for computer illiterate people. Windows is the opposite, it has all the advanced options. The only reason people get viruses on windows is because they do not know how to use a computer. They should own a mac, you cant judge windows 8 based on the trial. Although I am almost positive that it will be crap due to Microsoft record. They make a bad OS and then release a good OS. It makes them a ton of money. Every one bought vista, then they release windows 7. So in the end some people ended up paying 400-800 dollars for a computer os. Mac does the same thing, they just dont do it with OS. They do it with parts, they make battery's that die fast and chargers that brake easily. It all balances out.

Do you think target shoppers can afford a mac over windows? Example you can get a 2.4ghz 2gb ram mac pc for 1000. Or a 2.4ghz 4gb ram pc for $600

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Why would you buy a Mac mini for $599 when you can get a full sized desktop PC with mouse, monitor, keyboard, speakers, 4 GB of memory and four expansion slots for the same price? Granted you can spend more, but you also get so much more.

Plus, there are tons of games designed specifically for PC. I don't remember ever seeing a game you can play on a Mac at WalMart.

As for viruses, The reason Windows is so plagued with virus problems is because viruses are designed to affect the most computers possible. Since Windows has 80% to 90% of the market share, it is the target of choice. There are a lot of good anti-virus applications available, some are free. Personally, I have never had a computer with a virus. It depends a lot on the sites a person frequents and the browser used.

To sum up: Unless Windows 8 is an unmitigated failure, I doubt it will drive PC users to buy a Mac mini.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by spoonbender
is that what
windows 8 is gonna be?
a touch screen version of windows...?

I am so over this
novelty touch screen tech ..

I prefer my displays
smudge free

Not only that but you need to run an 'app' to emulate the desktop in windows 8.

Rubbish. Absolute rubbish.

I downloaded the developers beta, and almost threw my keyboard at the wall...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join