It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Patdowns for Passengers; Airport Screening Tightened

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 08:06 AM
link   
In a move that would worry some, as to what exactly were do we doing in the past three years, the Transportation Security Adminstration announced that airport screening would be tighter as they screen for explosives. Passengers will now have to endure more pat downs and searches of hand held luggage. Baggy clothes, coats and jackets will also be triggers for more detailed searches. The new screening methods follow the recent terrorist attacks which used explosives on two Russian planes.

www.miami.com
''Screeners will be able to further inspect passengers whose clothing may disguise their contour,'' said Transportation Security Administration spokeswoman Lauren Stover.

"It gives us the ability to be able to ensure that passengers are not strapping explosives to their torsos and hiding them under loose, bulky clothing.''The TSA also is testing new walk-through machines that will detect explosive particles on passengers at five airports, including Tampa.

''We needed to tighten the bolt on the aviation security gauntlet to ensure that we're doing everything we possibly can to protect the free movement of passengers,'' Stover said.

Now, when passengers walk through the metal detectors, screeners will be watching for anyone wearing clothes that ''fit or drape in an irregular manner.'' Those passengers will be referred to secondary screening that will include a ''pat down of the torso area, specifically between the armpits and waist, front, side and back,'' Stover said. Male screeners will pat down men; female screeners will pat down women.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Travellers will not object to these added measures unless the pat down is conducted in a humiliating manner, most of us will sacrifice the extra few minutes to be assured that a similiar incident as to the Russian disaster doesn't happen again. However it does make you wonder why this type of screening has not been in effect earlier and how many missed chances or close calls might have occurred.

[edit on 9-17-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   
ive been patted down at heathrow the last two times i went to america, in march 2003 and 2004. everyone was nearly. im suprised that this has only started in america.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 09:05 AM
link   
i dont see what the problem is, hell i got the full monty at san antonio international AND i had my bag searched when i was comming home form basic. make me feel even safer cause i hate flying

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I used to fly quite frequently prior to 9-11. The only problem I had was the inconsistancy of how my laptop was inspected. Since 9-11, I haven't flown much. I will however be taking a trip next month.

I always wear steel toed boots, and since the Richard Reed incident, I have always taken them off before entering the security check point. I am not bothered by this. Now that they are checking for suicide bombers strapped with bombs getting on planes. I guess I'll just have to wear a tank top and shorts.

Makes me glad I don't have to fly monthly any more. Makes me seriously consider driving every where.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I actually went through one of the "air puffers" the other day at an airport...one in Pittsburgh. Personally, I've pretty much got it down to a science these days, so I don't set those things off and cost more time.

If they just have the best looking guys and gals do the pat downs, shouldn't be too many objections....

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
i can see the government airline security psy-op is progressing well; now people complain that they weren't searched ENOUGH! "oh my god, they didn't search my steel toe boots, i could have had plastic explosive in there. what lax security!" OY VEY

why are our lives worth more in
an airport than anywhere else???
???

i've never flown and hope i never have to, and that has nothing to do with a fear of flying.

new topics

top topics

join