It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Mossad chief's secret U.S. visit meant to gauge American response to Israeli attack on Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Report: Mossad chief's secret U.S. visit meant to gauge American response to Israeli attack on Iran

Mossad chief Tamir Pardo's secret visit to Washington earlier this month was meant to gauge how the administration of U.S. President Barack Obama would react to an Israeli strike against Iran's nuclear program, The Daily Beast reported on Monday.

Pardo's visit was exposed last month by Haaretz after top U.S. officials mentioned his participation in a series of meetings in Washington at a public hearing in the Senate.

During the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence hearing , in which CIA Director David Petraeus and Director of National Intelligence James Clapper participated, panel chairperson Dianne Feinstein asked Clapper whether or not Israel intended to strike Iran's nuclear facilities. Clapper responded that he would rather discuss the issue behind closed doors.

The article continues:

The entire exchange was broadcasted live on American television.

On Monday, a report in The Daily Beast, which cited U.S. officials, shed some light on the visit, saying the Mossad chief had visited the U.S. in order to determine how the U.S. would react if Israel attacked Iran's nuclear program despite U.S. objections.

According to U.S. officials cited in the report, Pardo asked top American officials questions such as : “What is our posture on Iran? Are we ready to bomb? Would we [do so later]? What does it mean if [Israel] does it anyway?”

The report added that Israel has ceased sharing a "significant" amount of intelligence concerning its military preparations with the U.S.

I'd say it looks like anytime now.

I have to believe the discussion now is all about the timing... Any bets on how the timing might be used to influence political events happening here at home?

Food for thought.

edit on 13-2-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Interesting post and great find gets a flag. I can't argue with the assertion but unless Israel can figure out a way to inflict severe damage on Iran's nuclear infrastructure such such a strike isn't worth the cost. Israel has limited air power resources against a large variety of priority targets. Such an attack would stretch our airpower to inflict the kinds of damage needed to prevent the Iranians from getting nuclear weapons.

However, the same set of scenarios arise again with any attack on Iran and create the same set of complications. I think the final answer will be goading Iran into closing the Straits of Hormuz, attacking them and destroying their navy, air force and elements of their military infrastructure and then declaring war and demanding their unconditional surrender or face nuclear attack.

The action would result in a regime change in Tehran but is fraught with risk including global nuclear war. If this is the plan I'm opposed to it. My best,

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Welcome to the Big Gulf war, kickoff is due any time now...

We got apocalyptists in a rapturous state thinking this is the kickoff to Armageddon, we got Israel ready to blow the hell out of something, and you've Iran ready to rattle sabers. Never understood what gave us the right to tell another sovereign country whether they could go nuclear or not...seems a mite arrogant, to me. Kind of like the blind support we seem to have for Israel, by dint of their being, well, Israel. As that great sage Charles Brown once said, "Good grief."

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I don't think for a second that Israel will hesitate when they think that Iran has reached a threshold in the nuclear weapons program.

They didn't hesitate against Iraq at Osirak, they didn't hesitate agianst Syria and they won't hesitate against Iran. If they are nothing else, the Israeli's are decisive and not afraid to act in their own best interests.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by GAOTU789
I don't think for a second that Israel will hesitate when they think that Iran has reached a threshold in the nuclear weapons program.
If they are nothing else, the Israeli's are decisive and not afraid to act in their own best interests.

I agree with you, but if israel is feeling a tiny sense of losing during a conflict then you can bet on a false flag or blatant black mail to drag the U.S. into their affairs.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
The Israelis are nothing if not smart. Mossad is the covert branch, maybe they have a plan that does not utilize bombs, but might provoke retaliation. Whatever they do will be decisive and effective. I don't blame them.

top topics

join