It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neuron Memory Key to Taming Chronic Pain, New Research Suggests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Neuron Memory Key to Taming Chronic Pain, New Research Suggests

A team of researchers led by McGill neuroscientist Terence Coderre, who is also affiliated with the Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre, has found the key to understanding how memories of pain are stored in the brain. More importantly, the researchers are also able to suggest how these memories can be erased, making it possible to ease chronic pain.

Science Daily

I luckily don't suffer from chronic pain, but I imagine it would be hell to live with. So, it's great that they've possibly found a new way to fight it. I think it's interesting that pain that lasts more than 3 minutes leaves a memory trace and because of it can make people feel pain of a leg that has already been amputated. It's also interesting that these memory traces can lead to chronic pain and wish to learn more on the subject. I expect more studies and hopefully a new medicine.

This is my first thread so I apologize if something is wrong.
edit on 13/2/2012 by 1lluminatus because: Added a period

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by 1lluminatus

Nice find.
Hopefully it won't be too long before they succeed in their breakthrough.
I suffer with Diabetic Neuropathy and I could certainly do with some help.
Thanks for posting.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Hell, Take me...ill try about anything by now....But if you are inferring that chronic pain is meremly a memory of previous [ain forget it...injuries of some kinds do not heal and remain as good as new....believe me....
Meantine things like arthritis and set into old wounded places specially if the bones were broken....
Also soft tissure is a bad source of chronic pain...but it isnt memorised i dont believe...its ongoing small damage from use.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
This is exciting stuff! They've isolated the proteins that stimulate neurons creating the pain impression (memory). Could be a radical breakthrough in pain management which is in a God-awful state in the US right now. I really needed some good news and hope for a new way to manage my issues.
Thank you very much!
Invaluable first thread.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I'm glad this information gives hope for the future for you guys.
I'll do some research into the soft tissue pain mentioned by stirling and see what's that all about.

new topics

join