It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
The Dohn Community High School has launched a $40,000 incentive program to get students to come to class.
According to the Cincinnati Enquirer, students will get Visa gift cards for showing up everyday for school, being on time for class and not getting into trouble. Seniors would get $25 while underclassmen would get $10.
“People will say you’re rewarding kids for something they should already be doing anyway,” Davenport told the Enquirer. “But they’re not doing it. We’ve tried everything else.”
The school is trying out this new idea after the Ohio Department of Education designated the school an “academic emergency” on its report card. About 14 percent of students graduated from Dohn during the 2010-2011 school year.
Originally posted by wantsome
With a 14% graduation rate the other 86% probobly become criminals.
Originally posted by WeRpeons
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady
Lets start putting the blame solely where it belongs. You can have the best and smartest educator's, but if parents don't instill the importance of education in their children's lives than any school will fail.
Public school administrators and school district across the country fail to strictly enforce school policy because too many children have become disrespectful and just don't care if they fail.
Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical
I do like this idea, but let's make it worthwhile. Start paying $100 per A; $60 for a B; and $25 for a C each semester. The cash accumulates and they get the whole amount when they graduate high school. Let them invest it in a diversied mutual fund, with some limitations, so they can learn about savings and investing and also build a nice nest egg for college.
I bet it makes it much easier to teach these kids with much less behavior problems. Let's face it, kids do need an education but most don't value it due to their lack of experience. If you provide them with something of value in exchange for learning, they just may be more motivated to learn. It would also get them ready for the real world where your pay is determined by the merit of your work.