It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afghanistan Base 'Aryan' Raises Objections From Soldiers Over Name

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Afghanistan Base 'Aryan' Raises Objections From Soldiers Over Name

www.huffingtonpost.com

WASHINGTON -- Following last week's embarrassing controversy involving Marines displaying a flag with what appeared to be a Nazi insignia, American and Afghan soldiers have alleged that an Army base near Kandahar was named Combat Outpost "Aryan," a term evocative of Nazi rhetoric.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
What's going on in the United States military that these soldiers and/or their commanders feel the need to keep using Nazi symbolism/names for their units?

The army denies it of course but as the article uncovers, the base indeed used the name "Combat Outpost Aryan", as shown on the Army's Web site here:

3-4 Infantry: Warrior Update June 5, 2011 (170infantry.armylive.dodlive.mil)

www.huffingtonpost.com

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Do you honestly think that the Nazis "lost" WWII and what, just went away, quit trying? "Oh Alf, it wasn't quite a thousand year Reicht, but we lost, so let's just go home and forget about it..." Nope. They're alive and well...

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer

What's going on in the United States military that these soldiers and/or their commanders feel the need to keep using Nazi symbolism/names for their units?

The army denies it of course but as the article uncovers, the base indeed used the name "Combat Outpost Aryan", as shown on the Army's Web site here:

3-4 Infantry: Warrior Update June 5, 2011 (170infantry.armylive.dodlive.mil)

www.huffingtonpost.com

maybe there's deep nazi undercurrents in certain sects of the military and political power structure in the west...

maybe everything you were taught in your history books about them was exactly what the powers that be wanted you to know about them... wanted you to perceive them... as .. an exterior threat.. rather than... interior....domestic..

but wait.. we're too sharp for THAT right! i mean we woulda figured that kinda think ouuut by now riiiight?

LOLZ

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

While the term Aryan is eternally linked to the Nazi movement, the term did not originate with them (it was used to describe the Indo-European speaking people for a long time) and even is a group of Persian peoples..... but yeah not very bright

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

lol watch now how the justifiers try to claim it's a reference to persians or some crap like that

the history you were taught is a lie

the nazis couldn't beat us, so they joined us
and corrupted from within.

of course those damn snipers knew what the ss was,
wouldn't be surprised if back home they were all neo-nazis or such
lot's of gangs signing up to get combat training

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
"Aryan" was around a long time before the Nazi's perverted it for their own use.

In Sanskirt it means "Noble". "Aryan" also referes to Indo-European peoples.

The Nazi's perverted it by declaring Nordics i.e. Germanic's where the true "Aryans". The Nazi's considered them more racially "pure" than Indo-Europeans.

Anyhow, it's just more PC BS, IMHO.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by bg_socalif
"Aryan" was around a long time before the Nazi's perverted it for their own use.

The Nazi's perverted it by declaring Nordics i.e. Germanic's where the true "Aryans". The Nazi's considered them more racially "pure" than Indo-Europeans.

Thank you... someone that actually knows something!! I get so happy when I get to see intelligent posts.

They're infact... so rare these days.

Thank you again.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Seems kind of fitting considering the very ancient history of the region and location of their deployment. The Term Aryan [As well as the Swastika] were highjacked by the NAZI's

But, I'm sure this thread will deteriorate into another "OMG the US military are a bunch of NAZI's!"

Have at it...

PEACE

edit on 13-2-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
LOL so the Nazis invented this word too, huh?

Might as well give them credit for everything.
Adidas was created by a Nazi who produced shoes for the Wehrmacht. You're a Nazi if you wear them. Puma also, who was created by his brother - also a Nazi.

Can't forget about Nazi NASA either, with Wernher Von Braun's invention of the Saturn V rocket that was responsible for landing us on the moon.

If you're going to give credit to the Nazi's for the things they stole, why are you being biased and stopping there? Give them credit for EVERYTHING!

ETA: That's a badass name for a Combat Outpost anyway.
edit on 2-13-12 by reaxi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by bg_socalif

Essentially what this guy said.

Yeah. More PC bs people can use to get mad over.

It's just so very easy to get mad over things than to simply remain calm.

Cheers

Edit:

Originally posted by reaxi0n
If you're going to give credit to the Nazi's for the things they stole, why are you being biased and stopping there? Give them credit for EVERYTHING!

Made me lol.
edit on 13-2-2012 by Qemyst because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qemyst

Edit:

Originally posted by reaxi0n

Made me lol.
edit on 13-2-2012 by Qemyst because: (no reason given)

Hey, those Nazis were pretty notorious for wearing pants also
so this means....

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Ar·y·an
   [air-ee-uhn, air-yuhn, ar-]
noun
Ethnology . a member or descendant of the prehistoric people who spoke Indo-European.

(in Nazi doctrine) a non-Jewish caucasian, especially of Nordic stock.

(formerly) Indo-European.

(formerly) Indo-Iranian.

adjective
of or pertaining to an Aryan or the Aryans.

(formerly) Indo-European.

(formerly) Indo-Iranian.
definition from Dictionary.com

This is the definition of the word. I only see one reference to the Nazi's here. If the word describes the people that live there , exactly what is the problem here.

If you can't get over the link to the Nazi's that's your problem.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I saw the post last week about the SS flag, and I wrote it off as possible ignorance or an innocent mistake. But now this camp aryan crap? Yeah, wth is going with these units? I'm not buying the "it was a mistake" line anymore, this is blatant nazi symbolism and racism, flat out. Pretty crazy..... as G W Bush would say....

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you, fool me.. uh uh.. ..you cant get fooled again!"

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger

lol watch now how the justifiers try to claim it's a reference to persians or some crap like that

the history you were taught is a lie

the nazis couldn't beat us, so they joined us
and corrupted from within.

of course those damn snipers knew what the ss was,
wouldn't be surprised if back home they were all neo-nazis or such
lot's of gangs signing up to get combat training

Our former Queen (The Netherlands) married a former nazi (Bernhard).
Prince Harry of England was once dressed as a nazi at a party.
Operation paperclip
Von Braun at NASA
etc

I think you got a point.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonegurkha
If you can't get over the link to the Nazi's that's your problem.

What i've been saying all along.
100% agree.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
How dare anyone equate anything with something that might have the slightest connotation to being Europid.

Hitler - he had white skin you know. It is a TRAGEDY.

(please do not look up Pol Pot.)

You know, people in the Bengal also believe that they are Aryan. Those nasty Hitler lovers.

The people who hate the British Empire will now go off about that being some Europid conspiracy.... please ignore that the local languages are related distinctly to Gaelic. It is inconvenient for anyone to notice.

Also ignore that the word means Indo-European in Sanskrit. Sanskrit is some New Age plot to turn your mind into meme mush.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iason321
I saw the post last week about the SS flag, and I wrote it off as possible ignorance or an innocent mistake. But now this camp aryan crap? Yeah, wth is going with these units? I'm not buying the "it was a mistake" line anymore, this is blatant nazi symbolism and racism, flat out. Pretty crazy..... as G W Bush would say....

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you, fool me.. uh uh.. ..you cant get fooled again!"

The guy who posted above you JUST posted the definition of Aryan. ONE reference to Nazis, the rest not. Not even the FIRST definition listed was related to Nazis.

So uhhhhh... Still determined to link the word "Aryan" to Nazis, eh?

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Qemyst

*inserts foot in mouth*

Maybe I spoke too soon.

Still, they should be a little more careful of the terms they use when naming things.

Who knows anyways....maybe they DID have racist intentions....maybe noone had racist intentions about this or the SS flag thing.

It'll be interesting to see how this all pans out

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Some people know their history, and that is good thing. The term "Aryan," was a moniker for a group of people who lived in ancient central Asia. They were thought to have inhabited areas from Iran to Northern India and the areas in between. Just reiterating what others have mentioned. The swastika was a symbol used by these people as well. Long before Nazi Germany.

Historically speaking, the term associated with the base is relevant in regards to the history of the region. That said, politically speaking, it is not so wise a choice given the more recent use of the term "Aryan," by the Nazis. No need to go over the history of the Nazis, because everyone should know about them and their history. It does not look good to have a military force from the west using that term while occupying another country, and even if it is in context historically.

I will admit the recent history behind the term carries with it a stigma, and should be considered taboo. Whoever decided to use the term as the title for this base was not very wise. That is my humble opinion. Not the smartest move, and no doubt some would take offense to it. Just change the name of the base, and nothing more. No need for an explanation or even an apology. Just a dumb move.
edit on 13-2-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join