It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite Identification help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
So i was hiking today and notice this glistening rock

i ran in through the meteorite ID test, it is magnetic , it has a glistening shine which looks like flakes of iron , and it weighs a lot for such a small rock ,

also found some pyrite (fools gold) = )

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Very cool!

There are a lot of sites that can help you identify your Meteorite or Meteorwrong,lol.

Here's one :www.meteorite.com...

just google it if that doesn't cut it for you , good luck!!!
Keep us posted

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
It looks most likely that it is either hematite or magnetite.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by kolder

Op you found some unobtainium!

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by kolder

I've been studying (as a hobby) crystals and minerals for years and have several store bought meteorites and tektites. That looks like nothing I've seen. In fact it looks a bit like Labradorite, maybe mixed with Magnetite.

What might be useful is the general location since they know of most of main larger meteors that have hit this planet and where they are (like Moldavite in Molda and Czech, or NanThan from China).

Also, does it give a reading on a geiger counter? That is if you have one.

Nice find regardless what it is

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliquandro

well i can tell its definitely not hematite or magnetite , doesnt create much of a hold when i place a magnet on it, they're cheap magnets too, just holds on like theres iron flaked through out it. and labradorite i dono doesnt have much color too it

the shine is how i held it in the light, when you look at it normally it looks like a brown/black chunk

as for where i found it...

somewhere along the niagara escarpment in the woods , the place is old as hell, going back past the ice age so im hoping if its something , its ancient
edit on 13-2-2012 by kolder because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-2-2012 by kolder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by kolder

Hmmm sounds like nothing I've ever seen, all I could find was this www.wellandtribune.ca... and this www.mindat.org...

but couldn't find images.

I've always been curious to get a higher end, professional electronic multitester and see what some of my rocks do. After seeing the looks on my uncle's face when he tested my Boji stones I knew minerals meant something more than people expected.

new topics

top topics

join