It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington governor signs law legalizing gay marriage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Gov. Chris Gregoire handed gay rights advocates a major victory, singing into law a measure that legalizes same-sex marriage in Washington state, making it the seventh in the nation to allow gay and lesbian couples to wed. Gregoire signed the bill in the state reception room in the Capitol, surrounded by gay rights supporters. It's a historic moment, but same-sex couples can't walk down the aisle just yet. The law takes effect June 7, but opponents are already mounting challenges on multiple fronts.

I'm glad that it's legal for gays to get married in my home state. It doesn't hurt us heterosexuals in any way, and it gives them the same rights every other married couple has. I have not known many gay people but the few I have were wonderful and kind, and deserved to be able to make the same kind of commitment the rest of us can with a person of their choosing. I remember hearing something about the pursuit of happiness and if two men or two women decide being married and sharing their lives makes them happy, far be it from me to quash those dreams. Congratulations gay couples of Washington.

Link

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
An influential person in my life once said to me in relation to this subject:
"You don't order a gay pizza, do you? Then why would marriage be any different?
Marriage is marriage, simple as that."
My take is that it's up to the person marrying the people to decide if they want to (their own personal beliefs and all that) perform it, not the governments.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Good for the gay community , you wanna enjoy the misery's of marriage as straight couples ! By all means lol.

As for marriage , even if its same sex. Doesn't matter about the title. Straight couples these days have destroyed the beauty of marriage. Wedding vows mean nothing , promises are temporary , love is just a phase .

pursuit of happiness , or the pursuit of fairy tales lol.

Marriage for all ! as for me , i wouldn't get married untill i am really sure of the responsibility , the financial aspect and the giving your mind and body to make a union with a partner for the benifit of both your happiness. Till that time comes i wouldn't even consider marriage.

people getting married like its candy these days lol , just to have a big party and show off to their friends without understanding the commiitment . Its sad but oh well

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Weird, I thought we already had this. Oh well I no longer live over in the other country (Seattle area) so I am not updated on this as much. (I love it here, the gay people don't shove it in my face here like they did over there, here they are respectful!)
edit on 13-2-2012 by calnorak because: Spelling, got to fend off those grammar nazi's any way I can!

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I live in Washington state too...it is a beautiful place! Anyway...I am glad that 2 agreeing adults can marry and enjoy all the goodness and headaches of marriage. I am very glad this is for all adults now. It is fair and just.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

while i think this is a very good thing for close minded people, i think marriage all together is a very stupid concept.

who needs some dumb piece of paper to say they love each other?

not i.

not. i.
edit on 13-2-2012 by SoymilkAlaska because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Washington governor signs law legalizing gay marriage

This is being either adopted or rejected state-by-state, which in my opinion, is exactly as it should be.

But I would also like to suggest that the issue of what makes a person 'gay' be taken up by our health/sciences community to find out if this natural occurance is a form of disease or genetic imperfection/aberration that can be cured someday. I think we owe our species both the right to live (and marry) freely AND to seek the root cause of the condition, for all future generations.

edit on 13-2-2012 by redoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
My aunt is gay. My brother is gay. I have gay friends. In my state, they still can't marry. Guess, according to the rules down here, they ain't human.

Seriously, props to Washington. Knew it was good for something besides trees and Bigfoot.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Kyprian

We have coffee too. And Sir Mix A Lot.

new topics

top topics

join