It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On Valentine's day, a museum for broken hearts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I found this article fascinating and thought I'd share it with everyone.

www.wftv.com...

ZAGREB, Croatia — What becomes of a garden gnome hurled in fury at a car during a stormy breakup?

Or a teddy bear that was once a Valentine's Day present? A wedding dress from a marriage gone awry? An ax that smashed through household furniture?

All are on display at the Museum of Broken Relationships in the Croatian capital, each with written testimonies telling tales of passion, romance and heartbreak.

On Valentine's Day, the museum sees its visits almost double.

What better place to be on Valentine's Day if you're alone? Here at this museum. By taking a gander at all of the items on display, the lonely hearts can at least rest assured that being alone is a lot better than being in a bad relationship.

The mementos — collected from all over the world — are random and varied, ranging from fake rubber breasts to a cast from a broken leg. Each item comes with dates and locations of the relationships, and notes by their anonymous donors.

Some are funny. The note next to a garter belt says: "I never put them on. The relationship might have lasted longer if I had."

Some are bitter. The garden gnome flew over a car driven by a husband who turned "arrogant and heartless." It bounced on the asphalt, shattering its face.

An ax from Berlin was used by a woman to smash every piece of furniture her girlfriend had left behind.

"The more the room filled with chopped furniture, (the more) I felt better."

The text by a blue frisbee reads: "Darling, should you ever get the ridiculous idea to walk into a cultural institution like a museum for the first time in your life, you'll remember me."

Parts of the collection have traveled as far as Manila, London and Singapore to be put on display. In each city, the heartbroken can donate their stuff to the Zagreb museum.

A prosthetic leg currently showcased in England at the National Centre for Craft and Design, was donated by a war veteran who fell in love with his physical therapist.

A note says it lasted longer than the relationship because it was made of "sturdier material."

Happy Valentine's Day, one and all!

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Here's a direct link to this unique museum:
brokenships.com...

Here is another article about the museum:
www.vagabondish.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I know what I'd put in it....a small jar with the ashes of my marriage certificate....how about you?

Des

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
I know what I'd put in it....a small jar with the ashes of my marriage certificate....how about you?

Des

Forget the certificate, id put her in there.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Good one!

What would I put in it? Hmm.
The only thing I have as a reminder is the train ticket from when I decided it was time to go.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

This should go there. "When a Heart Breaks no it don't break even" One of the best lines ever.

This is a music vid - The Script - Breakeven

new topics

top topics

join