It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Rant Starring The Trolls

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I've never had a rant before and I've heard It's all the rage. so here's mine.

I believe that the starring system is failing ATS. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for starring and praising thoughtful and interesting threads and posts, but the system is being abused.

The system is making ATS too competitive, and many ATSers are star crazy.

I've noticed a lot of member's threads get shot down and derailed, because a Star Hunter has made wity, nonsensical, post-derailing comments.

The worst case is that of the Attention Seeking Star Troll. These members will often be the first to post on new threads, with one liners, and no thoughtful input. Usually resulting in ridicule for the OP, and many stars for the Star Troll.

I have no quarrel with the flag system, as I believe people have a right to flag threads they deem important and insightful. But, the star system is feeding the Trolls and turning ATS into some sort of competition.

Say No to Stars, and say No to Trolls.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

Notice the time I have been on this site, versus my stars. I could care less about how many stars I have. I reply to posts and threads when I have an opinion on a subject. I would agree however that some users are "star struck" pun intended. The only thing I think about the people with thousands of posts, that they could have been doing something more constructive with their time? Just my opinion mind you. Since I have been a member of the site, the quality and substance of posts have diminished greatly, again, just my opinion. I would abandon the star and flag system, and leave it up to the mods. We all know that would work just fine, right?

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Is this was some kind of elaborate ploy to get stars?

If so, it worked.

**star**
edit on 13-2-2012 by WickettheRabbit because: My god, it's full of stars.

edit on 13-2-2012 by WickettheRabbit because: BBQ

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

Haha I knew that was coming.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Captain Beyond
reply to post by DAZ21

Notice the time I have been on this site, versus my stars. I could care less about how many stars I have. I reply to posts and threads when I have an opinion on a subject. I would agree however that some users are "star struck" pun intended. The only thing I think about the people with thousands of posts, that they could have been doing something more constructive with their time? Just my opinion mind you. Since I have been a member of the site, the quality and substance of posts have diminished greatly, again, just my opinion. I would abandon the star and flag system, and leave it up to the mods. We all know that would work just fine, right?

I have noticed great threads decreasing in number. And I genuinely feel the star system is to blame. It's nice when you get stars, but some people I feel star for the wrong reasons.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I won't argue that the system takes some abuse. And sometimes extremely. But I like being able to give a thumbs up (star) to another member.

I guess the real question is, would we eliminate the "trolls" by eliminating the starring system. Not likely. They'll derail threads anyway. And in some cases, what I might consider trolling, you might consider a welcome addition to the thread.

I think no matter what system the staff puts in place, it's gonna get abused. We the members need to learn to ignore obvious trolls, and stop feeding them what they want. Attention.

Look out. Here they come for this thread...

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

I suppose you're right, I just don't want people getting down beaten by the trolls and getting scared to post anything. I wonder how many original thinkers have abandoned this site, due to ridicule?

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

We've lost some awesome members in the short time I've been here. And others who just don't post like they used to. I think most members can handle some ridicule. I think it's those that can't be reasoned with that create the bigger problem. We all have our stubborn or crazy days, but most of us can at least agree to disagree peacefully after a few exchanges.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Frankly, I have never heard anyone here profess an interest in "getting" stars or flags--ever. To claim that people are trolling for such seems like a reach to me. They are awarded by your fellow posters, not ATS management, and they don't buy you anything at all. If stars are "being abused," there must be an abuser. Are you saying that if I admire your post and give you a star--anonymously--that somehow I am abusing the system? I just don't get the whole idea of star abuse.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
Frankly, I have never heard anyone here profess an interest in "getting" stars or flags--ever. To claim that people are trolling for such seems like a reach to me. They are awarded by your fellow posters, not ATS management, and they don't buy you anything at all. If stars are "being abused," there must be an abuser. Are you saying that if I admire your post and give you a star--anonymously--that somehow I am abusing the system? I just don't get the whole idea of star abuse.

Ok, for instance. If I write my first ever thread, I'm new I'm all excited and I think I've done a pretty good job. Then a more experienced member sees that It's just been posted and writes some wity response that undermines the Op in some way. A member that has established themselves here on ATS, so others that know this member jump on the band wagon and end up possibly derailing and turning the thread into not a discussion, not even a debate, but an argument.

An experienced member like yourself, has surely seen this. There is nothing that can be done about it, because as you say the system is anonymous. The system can therefore be abused. Now if we could click on individual stars, and observe the awarders of these stars, they might think differently before they star a non-contributing, demoralising comment.
edit on 13-2-2012 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21

An experienced member like yourself, has surely seen this. There is nothing that can be done about it, because as you say the system is anonymous. The system can therefore be abused. Now if we could click on individual stars, and observe the awarders of these stars, they might think differently before they star a non-contributing, demoralising comment.

I really have not seen much of that, but I can see how demoralizing the situation you sketched out above would be. I suppose that we collectively groan at yet another post from someone fairly new about those "great Billy Meier photographs!" and the first witty response might garner some stars. It can be pretty tough here. You may have seen the intro by an older man a coupla days ago. On the one hand, about 20% of the replies were extremely negative, yet the guy got a zillion stars and flags and didn't really say anything, though he wrote rather well. I'm afraid we drove him away and that's pretty sad.

It's also a pretty fickle place. In times past I've put heart & soul in a well-researched post and it sinks without a trace. That can be pretty frustrating, too. Sometimes things seem to "catch" and other times they don't. And, of course, if you every post anything the least bit conservative here, you're likely to get boo'd off the stage. None of these things are really a testimony to free and open dialog. There are several things that kinda suck at ATS. Stars & flags aren't a big deal, but I really was disappointed how that old man was treated here a coupla days ago. That bothers me a lot. I wish we were all a bit more civil with each other.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I'm new here and spent most of my time reviewing the many topics. I've read entire forums and I've been reluctant to add my two cents, mostly because of the many rude and poorly thought out responses I've seen others receive. The post by the newcomer (the old man) as an introduction was responded to by some pretty rude members....and it went on for pages and pages! How an introduction and the poster's stated intent to post his experiences could turn into an opportunity to bash and abuse was shocking. It really surprised me how quickly the negativity started and I was saddened to see it happen. All in all, I very much agree with the OP.

BTW, this is my first post ever but it may be awhile before I post another. Dangerous waters here. (Yeah, I know "dangerous" is strong but I'd like to stay afloat.) I'll keep on keepin' on but I hope it improves somewhat.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

The worst case is that of the Attention Seeking Star Troll. These members will often be the first to post on new threads, with one liners, and no thoughtful input. Usually resulting in ridicule for the OP, and many stars for the Star Troll.

Yes has happened to me and have seen it quite often. The 'known troll' knows how to get away with the situation especially knowing if the thread is posted in an area that members have strong opinion which will favor them.

reply to post by Klassified

I suppose you're right, I just don't want people getting down beaten by the trolls and getting scared to post anything. I wonder how many original thinkers have abandoned this site, due to ridicule?

Quite a few IMO. If anything has made people less caring to contribute substance which can be largely ignored compared to their funny and/or snide comments.

Present data that they cannot ridicule; present a lot of it, because they won't read beyond the first paragraph or so. As mentioned and well stated, don't star their trolling, you're encouraging them.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

I knew that was coming too....I agree with the OP, no stars needed. Maybe we should have "IAWY" I agree with you? When you see me post "IAWY" no stars are needed, you will know I agree with you. My new tag....

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
DAZ21......IAWY
Obligatory second line

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by rococo

try not to let it get to you too much, I know how you feel. But who knows you may have a lot to bring to ATS, and someone out there will have enjoyed what you have to say. So don't let the trolls win and stop you.

And welcome to ATS.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Captain Beyond
DAZ21......IAWY
Obligatory second line

I'm sorry I had to star such genius thought. I believe that's a great idea, a sign of true appraisal. IAWY

top topics

join