It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Campaign Launches "Truth Team"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
And now for something completely different:

(CBS News Source)
President Obama's re-election team on Monday rolled out a campaign to recruit two million supporters to help debunk attacks on the president's record and hit back at his Republican rivals.

Called the "Truth Team," the new effort will engage Obama supporters online and in person, encouraging them to communicate with undecided voters about the president's record.

...which I think is an excellent idea.

There has been so much mudslinging and half truths and fabrication AGAINST ALL SIDES in this election that politicians are starting to round up "Truth Squads." As I understand it, Mitt Romney has one and now Obama's collecting one as well.

Polifact and several other neutral sites do a good job of evaluating these things, but I think that not enough people know about this. A grass roots movement MAY help, though it can be sullied if the other side is using it to "explain away" things instead of looking at actual words and records.

The "Truth Team" website highlights the effort's three goals, each of which have their own website: AttackWatch.com will defend the president against false attacks, KeepingGOPHonest.com will fact check Republicans' claims about their own records, and KeepingHisWord.com will tout the president's record.

I'm not overly impressed with the websites, but I think this is because they're new and they don't have a lot of content (nor do I like the web design, but I'm picky.)

THIS article (clicky here) brings up some interesting strategic talking points about sites like this, showing that there's a lot of deep planning in place involving this kind of response. However, it also warns that they may cause politics to become even more divisive. I don't know if the Facebook group, "Americans Against The Tea Party" will be participating in these. I suspect they will be.

I haven't compared them yet to Polifact -- they may work to help unite people and to give them a sense of empowerment. But they'll fail if they publish unverifiable material and material that's just plain mean-spirited.

I expect the others to start similar sites. Should be interesting.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
"Truth" Squads? Or Propaganda Squads? I imagine they are hoping that we won't be able to tell the difference.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
This is a great idea. In theory.

Problem is, the people who are interested in spreading lies are not going to be interested in what Obama's site has to say. They will claim Soros funds it or find some other reason to discredit it, just as they did with "Fight the Smears".

The country is so partisan that they aren't looking for the truth, they're looking to get Obama out, whatever it takes.

But I am glad to see the site and I'll be visiting often, I'm sure.
Thanks for posting about it.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
0bama and the Truth team to the rescue.

Where is the vomit emoticon when you need it?

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
This is a good idea....don't know if it will work though.

I'm sure there are already people claiming that this is Obama's army to take over the world.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
AttackWatch.com is already displaying the TrythTeam logo.

The main focus as of right now is on Romney (no surprise).

The campaign must be assuming Romney is the biggest threat to Obama.

The TruthTeam comments are attached to each story on the site.

Attack Watch

The original "Attack Watch" was not popular enough.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Hopefully Ron Paul is on that team..

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
You will be assimilated! Resistance is futile!

What about they expose both parties are being sellouts to the banks?
edit on 13-2-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
So, this is now the third incarnation of yet another Obama nanny narc site. Fight the Smears, Attack Watch and now this. Amazing when you consider that the MSM has been in Obama's back pocket since the 2008 campaign. Not to mention the daily conference calls with Media Matters and of the course the daily TPM. All spoon fed by the likes of Valerie Jarrett et.al. Is this new "truth team" even needed? NO!

The Big Labor Groups in his back pocket too all busy spreading his word....

Gotta fight and report those evil conservatives at every opportunity. Pathetic.

Just another recruitment and indoctrination vehicle for the left. Will Obama now appoint a new "minister of truth" czar to head this up? It's only true if it's got the White House seal of approval. Hmmm...

Perhaps if Obama was a little more forthright he would not need dedicated sites and hit men to set the record straight the way he wants it set. Perhaps Obama can go back and just correct his own words...

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Obama and the word "truth" doesn't fit. I am sorry, but this will only be wasting his time. We already have people like Outkast who was probably first round pick for this so called "truth team."

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Wait wait...let me be the first to use this gem!!!!

Obama's army gonna get meh!!!!! This is what the truth team is...only in disguise!

It's Obama's brown shirts out to destroy America!

Run for your lives!!!

edit on 13-2-2012 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Thanks for getting that out of the way!!

I'll give this one some air too

The teacher that posted this video got suspended for his antics.
edit on 13-2-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
This is a great idea. In theory.

Problem is, the people who are interested in spreading lies are not going to be interested in what Obama's site has to say. They will claim Soros funds it or find some other reason to discredit it, just as they did with "Fight the Smears".

Ugh. I'm afraid you might be right. Still, the sites are useful and a handy shortcut to be able to cite sources in rebuttal.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by KonquestAbySS
Obama and the word "truth" doesn't fit. I am sorry, but this will only be wasting his time. We already have people like Outkast who was probably first round pick for this so called "truth team."

""Obama and the word "truth" doesn't fit""

It is an oxymoron.

They like change.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
As my daddy said

Only liars worry about,
how to spread the truth.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
This could easily backfire on Obama...the truth could hurt him pretty badly.

by the way, I personally know an 08 Obama field organizer...he's now phone-banking and organizing for the Ron Paul campaign.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Here's the problem. The "Truth" doesn't have a (D) or an (R) beside it and any team that is mobilized to serve one agenda isn't neccessarily serving the absolute God's honest truth.

Not to say that the vast majority of BS doesn't originate on the right..it certainly does....But to start with the premise that everything the Obama campaign puts out is the absolute, unbiased truth? That aint correct either.

I liked "Fight the Smears" since it had a narrow mission, responding to BS smears on behalf of the Obama Campaign.

Assign someone as the guardian of "Truth"? Well, OK...do they have the freedom to slam the President when the truth demands it?

They shouldn't call it the "Truth squad" unless they have the freedom to actually pursue truth no matter who it hurts.

Good idea...pick another name.

Just my opinion.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Georgia Democrats say the Obama campaign is looking for 30,000 volunteers in the state. The effort is aimed at rebutting attacks on Pres. Obama's record by Republican presidential candidates. Republicans say the move is a ploy to collect mass email addresses. GPB's Sasha Horne (@sashahorne) reports.

So it's just a ploy to collect email addresses...

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
This is so funny since the truth could cause some very big problems. Hows about that Fast & Furious Mr. Obama??
Omission of details is lying as well....

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
truth squads?
to cancel each other out?
when you could solve the problem of evil by just not being evil?
pwn.

top topics

join