It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USA require urgent bunker bombs upgrade asap

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

The military's so-called Massive Ordnance Penetrator, a 30,000-pound bunker buster bomb, requires an "urgent" upgrade, according to Pentagon officials who are trying to ensure that 20 of the bombs are battle-ready -- possibly for use against Iran, though officials have been tight-lipped on potential targets.

The Air Force developed the bomb in conjunction with Boeing to attack concrete bunkers and tunnel facilities, and the Pentagon has requested $81 million in reallocated funds from Congress to get it ready for use.

Defense appropriators on Capitol Hill agreed to the request on Wednesday, just one month after Iran announced it would begin uranium enrichment at a hardened underground facility near the city of Qom in the Fardow mountain range. The tunneled facility is thought to be beyond the range of the bunker buster in question -- the largest non-nuclear weapon in the U.S. Air Force's arsenal.

www.foxnews.com...

Seems something is in the pipeline for urgent upgrades.
edit on 13/2/12 by EnigmaAgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
It would be funny if Iran wasn't enriching anything, and just putting it out there to make USA waste bombs

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Seems like something somewhere is in for a very major downgrading lol

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I think what is in the pipeline are Iranian tunnelers and they're busy tunneling. Qom was at 295 feet, the best I can find estimates. Our 30,000lbs Bunker Buster stops at about 200 feet of reinforced concrete and a staggeringly short 125 feet of solid rock. It seems the Iranians are currently able to stand deep down in their base facility and give Obama the raspberries until they're blue in the face...nothing Dear Leader can do but pout and cuss...,or nuke 'em. Nukes by us will likely get nukes used ON US, so I don't see that happening.

So.. I'd say it's understandable that the Pentagon is rushing off to build even bigger bombs. 50,000lbs? 100,000 lbs? How big will be enough?? When they reach the largest bomb man can physically transport, the Iranians will just laugh, spit and dig another 100 feet beyond the reach of THAT one. Oh...the games are enough to just give up some days.

Just think.. We get to pay for every bit of this too!

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by EnigmaAgent

It was on global security 2 days ago. Thing will not be available until 2013 (supposedly).

LINK

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
It makes you wonder that Iran, knowing the state of cash strapped U.S. isn't just trying to get them to go bankrupt completely by making them spend billions on bombs, sending aircraft carriers etc etc...

Which will break 1st? the American economy or the American militaries patience.

I'm sure Iran is hoping for the former.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by EmceeTrick
It would be funny if Iran wasn't enriching anything, and just putting it out there to make USA waste bombs

Yeah, because that strategy worked so well for Saddam. . .

2nd.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Ya the Iranians may think they are safe in their bunkers at those depths, and maybe one bunker buster wont penetrate, buyt once that has gone off and degraded the hardend facility, all they have to do is drop another right in the same hole, its like shoveling them out with a spoon, eventually something will give. Nothing is that bomb proof

Im totally against going to war, Until Our homeland is threatened, which I have seen No proof that the US is, at this time, its just propaganda wars right now.
edit on 13-2-2012 by Glassbender777 because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I think what is in the pipeline are Iranian tunnelers and they're busy tunneling. Qom was at 295 feet, the best I can find estimates. Our 30,000lbs Bunker Buster stops at about 200 feet of reinforced concrete and a staggeringly short 125 feet of solid rock. It seems the Iranians are currently able to stand deep down in their base facility and give Obama the raspberries until they're blue in the face...nothing Dear Leader can do but pout and cuss...,or nuke 'em. Nukes by us will likely get nukes used ON US, so I don't see that happening.

So.. I'd say it's understandable that the Pentagon is rushing off to build even bigger bombs. 50,000lbs? 100,000 lbs? How big will be enough?? When they reach the largest bomb man can physically transport, the Iranians will just laugh, spit and dig another 100 feet beyond the reach of THAT one. Oh...the games are enough to just give up some days.

Just think.. We get to pay for every bit of this too!

I would imagine the entrances to the facility would be targeted so while the infrastructure may escape destruction it could be effectively sealed off until US bomb tech catches up to it. . .

link   
So they are spending $81 million
to upgrade 20 bombs ?
my god how much did the cost to make in the first places?

they are just very very strong rockets that don't blow up when they hit the ground.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by algaedyne

Very true....and I'll be shocked if the Iranians spent whatever number of millions to build their deep bases and didn't create multiple ways out. They had to have thought of how easy it would be for the U.S. to simply 'erase' the surface support facilities tied to the top of the shafts. They also stagger their shafts headed down to prevent any direct surface-down attack strategy.

If it were easy, they wouldn't be building bombs with price tags north of 300 MILLION dollars and saying those are entirely insufficient, so even those beasts need upgrades urgently.

edit on 13-2-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Agreed. I hope it doesn't come to bombs but I wouldn't be surprised at all to to see it breaking on MSM any day that someone attacked. . .

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
So they are spending $81 million
to upgrade 20 bombs ?
my god how much did the cost to make in the first places?

they are just very very strong rockets that don't blow up when they hit the ground.

They weigh 30,000 pounds and have a 5000 pound warhead in them that does not blow until the bomb stops moving or at a per-programed depth. 200 feet in most cases.

Its a simple fix. Strap a rocket to it so it punches deeper. Just like what is used to crater a run way.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Yeah but if the bunker buster can hit 200 feet through concrete, couldnt they drop another one ontop after to hit them even further down?

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Yes and our tax dollars are paying for the elite hand few that will have be allowed to "survive".

Again the common man is footing the bill, paying for the haves and have mores.

The few goons who will guard over them and serve them will be allowed to survive whatever is coming our way.

I personally have a gut feeling a small group really high up on the pyramid know somethings up.

Just a feeling.

If one drives past Denver Airport you can see tons of large pipes and excavated dirt.

From past research it is claimed, and again I am only passing on information, unfounded by personal knowledge because if anything, I am always the last one to find out anything significant - there are whole cities right underneath us.

Richard Saunder has a book out, "In Plain Sight"...................about underground bunkers though out America.

In Norway, the government has a system all dug out for it's populace.

At least their government is looking out for their own people while ours is set on letting the common person duck and cover under a desk.

Safe journey to us all and see you on the other side.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Knowing the Germans, they have probably already built them more than one bunker that is nuclear capable so what is the point? They did it for Saddam while he was under massive sanctions so why not Iran. I think we shook some paintings off the walls in his nuclear bunker with 6 bunker busters in a row.

Unless they use a nuclear bunker buster to bring the mountain down on top of them, I don't see these getting to the goods.

I don't think it would be that bad if they could punch it deep enough, not many people would be exposed to any radiation. The U.S. just has to deny using it and hope nothing goes wrong.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by tehdouglas
Yeah but if the bunker buster can hit 200 feet through concrete, couldnt they drop another one ontop after to hit them even further down?

If they were laser guided in, yeah but with GPS they may not hit the same hole. I am sure they are going to try that either way.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Our 30,000lbs Bunker Buster stops at about 200 feet of reinforced concrete and a staggeringly short 125 feet of solid rock.
Low-radioactive yield "tactical" nuclear warheads would be the only sure-fire way to destroy such deeply buried installations. The use of such weapons in any first strike was once considered taboo, 'is that still the case'? i just don't know the answer to that to be honest. But if they do go ahead and attack Iran, these are the only weapons capable of the doing the job right, so they have to be thinking of using them right?

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Just like this but don't use the parachute, have the rocket fire when the bomb is terminal. This would smash through anything if the nose was strong enough.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321

Our 30,000lbs Bunker Buster stops at about 200 feet of reinforced concrete and a staggeringly short 125 feet of solid rock.
Low-radioactive yield "tactical" nuclear warheads would be the only sure-fire way to destroy such deeply buried installations. The use of such weapons in any first strike was once considered taboo, 'is that still the case'? i just don't know the answer to that to be honest. But if they do go ahead and attack Iran, these are the only weapons capable of the doing the job right, so they have to be thinking of using them right?

They already made some nuclear bunker busters when the Pentagon decided that was the only way to get down to some and destroy them. Bush caught hell for it with his preemptive attack wars so I think its been kept secret.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join