It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Northamptonshire And The Birth Of The Mask

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Northampton, while still a large town in England, has been largely forgotten through history. Starting out as a small Saxon settlement named "ham tunn" and becoming part of the kindom of Mercia.

Northampton was even the capital of England for 200 years. The town is full of history, and I like to think about our current state of affairs today, and how the past has paved the way to the present.

Thomas Tresham, an eccentric catholic owned two building's in Northamptonshire, in which the Gunpowder Plot was devised. The dissident group of Catholics included, Thomas's son Francis, and of course Guy Fawkes. The group was led by Robert Catesby.

Of course, Guy Fawkes was the one that got caught and it's an effigy of him we burn on that bonfire once a year. Before this by the way it was an effigy of the pope that was burnt, as a sort of anti-catholic day.

Jump forward 300 years, though, to the battered post-war England of the 1950s, and the saturnine insurrectionary had taken on more ambiguous connotations.

When parents explained to their offspring about Guy Fawkes and his attempt to blow up Parliament, there always seemed to be an undertone of admiration in their voices, or at least there did in Northampton.

While that era's children perhaps didn't see Fawkes as a hero, they certainly didn't see him as the villainous scapegoat he'd originally been intended as.

www.bbc.co.uk...

When Alan Moore created V for Vendetta, it was David Lloyd who suggested using a Guy Fawkes mask for the one man against a fascist state character.

They decided to use an already common mask of Fawkes just for common reference. Apparently that year being the last year for the mask as it was to be phased out, to make way for the new Halloween craze incoming from the US.

If there truly was government unease about the mask and its associations back in the 1980s, these concerns had evidently evaporated by the first decade of the 21st century, when the movie industry apparently decided to re-imagine the original narrative as some sort of parable about the post-9/11 rise of American neo-conservatives, in which the words "fascism" or "anarchy" were nowhere mentioned.

Shortly after the movie of V for Vendetta, the mask started to appear in protests against anti-globalisation, and hacker attacks against those supposedly percieved to incite state oppression.

It also seems that our character's charismatic grin has provided a ready-made identity for these highly motivated protesters, one embodying resonances of anarchy, romance, and theatre that are clearly well-suited to contemporary activism, from Madrid's Indignados to the Occupy Wall Street movement.

Our present financial ethos no longer even resembles conventional capitalism, which at least implies a brutal Darwinian free-for-all, however one-sided and unfair. Instead, we have a situation where the banks seem to be an untouchable monarchy beyond the reach of governmental restraint, much like the profligate court of Charles I.

Then, a depraved neglect of the poor and the "squeezed middle" led inexorably to an unanticipated reaction in the horrific form of Oliver Cromwell and the English Civil War which, as it happens, was bloodily concluded in Northamptonshire.

www.bbc.co.uk...

The symbolic face of Guy Fawkes, a face that epitomize's a stand for what you have faith and believe in.

I'm proud to say that the emblematic face of the anti-government agenda, against the corrupt state, was born in Northamptonshire, my birth place, and now symbolizes a world wide establishment against exploitation.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21
I'm proud to say that the emblematic face of the anti-government agenda, against the corrupt state, was born in Northamptonshire, my birth place, and now symbolizes a world wide establishment against exploitation.
That's all fine and good. But I'm failing to see the conspiracy angle here...

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton

That's all fine and good. But I'm failing to see the conspiracy angle here...

Definition of conspiracy = the act of plotting

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Yes. And???

I still fail to see a conspiracy angle. If you were claiming that Northhamptonshire has been forgotten because of a conspiracy, or that Alan Moore can be tied directly to Guy Fawkes through some lineage and that his use of the mask was intended to become an emblem of an uprising, or anything else that can tie it all together, then THERE you might have conspiracy.

The history is interesting, but not controversial. You haven't shown any plotting here though.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

And York is The Birth Place of "The Face" :-

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong
reply to post by DAZ21

And York is The Birth Place of "The Face" :-

en.wikipedia.org...

Yep, I don't disagree with that. Good ol' Guy Fawkes.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton

Yes. And???

I still fail to see a conspiracy angle. If you were claiming that Northhamptonshire has been forgotten because of a conspiracy, or that Alan Moore can be tied directly to Guy Fawkes through some lineage and that his use of the mask was intended to become an emblem of an uprising, or anything else that can tie it all together, then THERE you might have conspiracy.

The history is interesting, but not controversial. You haven't shown any plotting here though.

That's precisely what the mask is, "an emblem" for people power, to take a stance against governmental corruption. How long does the average man's face last?

Well this ones been around since 1605, and has came back with a vengeance. What kept this face of Guy Fawkes going? Is it just a coincidence, or is it fate?

If you tried to blow up your parliament, or the equivalent And failed. I bet you wouldn't last a few decades through history. So who kept Guy Fawkes in our memories hundreds of years later? Was he just destined to be and symbolize the power we hold as a collective?

I suppose you can find a conspiracy in anything if you're just willing to dig a bit deeper.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Guy Fawkes and his co-conspirators were a bunch of religious fanatics. In today’s parlance they would be called terrorists – and quite rightly so. Trying to blow up the Protestant King James and replace him with a Papal lackey.

I don’t suppose many who wear the mask know much about the history and context; just think it’s cool to blow up the authority! Learn from history is the lesson here.

Regards

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
Guy Fawkes and his co-conspirators were a bunch of religious fanatics. In today’s parlance they would be called terrorists – and quite rightly so. Trying to blow up the Protestant King James and replace him with a Papal lackey.

I don’t suppose many who wear the mask know much about the history and context; just think it’s cool to blow up the authority! Learn from history is the lesson here.

Regards

I agree, the meaning behind the mask has been abit twisted. But eveyone has their reasons.

But It's what the mask stands for now. Originally, yes Guy Fawkes was a fanatic. But his mask stands for all the right things now I believe. Even if like you say, some that wear the mask just think it's cool. To me it will always symbolize our ability to take a stance against corruption.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

i have lived in northamptonshire all my life and received my degree in history in the town

there is no evidence that northampton was the capital of anything anytime let alone for 200 years, its not and has never even been a city, and as for the mask connection guy fawkes came from yorkshire. the plotters my have met up occasionally at catesbys triangular lodge every now and then but that is the only northamptonshire connection to the plot

as for me our county is famous for very little

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by dashdespatch

Wow, Northampton really is a bad uni. Sorry, I would ask to take the degree again, somewhere else. No offence. Our county has an amazing history.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

bak in the day i went there it was nene college a satelite of leicester university so i got a leicester uni ba hons degree not a university of nothampton one

back to point what are all these amazing achievements carried out by / in our county?

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
It has been said;
"Only one Man ever walked into Parliament with True Intent, Guy Fawkes".

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by steaming

who did not come from northamptonshire!

by the way v for vendetta is one of my favorite films i just fail to see what its got to do with northampton

edit on 14-2-2012 by dashdespatch because: added comment

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by dashdespatch
reply to post by steaming

who did not come from northamptonshire!

by the way v for vendetta is one of my favorite films i just fail to see what its got to do with northampton

edit on 14-2-2012 by dashdespatch because: added comment

V for vendetta was written by Alan Moore, who happens to come from Northampton. So the ideology, was born in Northampton.

Ever heard of war of the roses?? Come on, you're supposed to tell me the history.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

war of the roses a conflict between the houses of york and lancaster one battle was fought in the county of northamptonshire

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by dashdespatch
reply to post by DAZ21

war of the roses a conflict between the houses of york and lancaster one battle was fought in the county of northamptonshire

That might be, but it was a decisive battle.

top topics

join