It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free courses from MIT

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Just found an article on the BBC website about MIT offering free courses to people online.

Taught by Anant Agarwal, with Gerald Sussman and Piotr Mitros, 6.002x (Circuits and Electronics) is an on-line adaption of 6.002, MIT’s first undergraduate analog design course. This prototype course will run, free of charge, for students worldwide from March 5, 2012 through June 8, 2012. Students will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their mastery of the material and earn a certificate from MITx.

mitx.mit.edu...

Just thought id post this for any of those wanting to get some free education
Happy days

They are going to be making available more courses, free of charge in the coming months. So if this one isn't you're thing, then bookmark it for future reference.

MIT is ranked the 3rd best university in the world,

As of 2011, twenty-four MIT alumni have won the Nobel Prize, forty-four have been selected as Rhodes Scholars, and fifty-five have been selected as Marshall Scholars

edit on 13-2-2012 by loves a conspiricy because: to add something about MIT

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

Bookmarked for future reference.

Nice one

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Here is another website that offers free courses.

www.udacity.com

Currently, there are 2 classes planned. The first is AI for Robotics which is to teach you to program a self-driving car in 7 weeks.

Secondly, an introduction to programming class where students will learn to program a search engine, without any prior knowledge of programming.

These classes are from the same team who offered the Introduction to AI class back in October or so. Check it out, good stuff here.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

MIT OpenCourseWare (OCW) is a web-based publication of virtually all MIT course content. OCW is open and available to the world and is a permanent MIT activity.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Knowledge learned is knowledge earned.

No such thing as free.

thanks and ciao

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Registration complete..

Thank you for the heads up!

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Cool, and timely, i just hope it isnt another way for the PTB to siphon off the brightest of the bright who havent been discovered in the school system, and either co opt or eliminate them.
Well...its a conspiracy website whaddaya expect?

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Awesome!

I looked at it but the requirements:

Requirements

In order to succeed in this course, you must have taken an AP level physics course in electricity and magnetism. \

Yup never taken either course

The other courses i have no problem with listed in the requirements... I have done physics just not at an AP level.

I would like to take this but I don't know how I'd do without the above requirements. If I can read along and learn as I go then I'm good...I do have google

I have seen quite a few schools start doing this and I think it's great! There was one recently and I dont remember the name of it but their site was actually over run with applicants they had to put their site off line for a bit.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

If you are interested in taking 6.002x, you'll find materials on the OCW site that can help you prepare. Prerequisite courses for 6.002 when taught on the MIT campus are 18.03 Differential Equations and either 8.02 Electricity and Magnetism or 6.01 Introduction to Electrical Engineering and Computer Science I. Listed below are links to OCW publications of materials from these courses, including links to 6.01 and our unique OCW Scholar versions 18.03SC and 8.02SC, which are designed specifically for independent online study. You'll also find links to materials from courses that build on the knowledge developed in 6.002 and provide opportunities for further study. Please note that no certificates or recognition of study are available for OCW or OCW Scholar courses.

ocw.mit.edu...

There you go
These are free too

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Mblah,
Its free, just try it out anyway, millions of people will probably do this, whats the worse that can happen, you dont succeed, but how will you know unless you try?

I'll be a study buddy!

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Do not allow that to hold you back. The tools are readily available. You have time. You only need to possess the knowledge. You'll be fine. Have at it.

AP Phys B

2011 FR Q's

edit on 13-2-2012 by emberscott because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

I think they just mean that you need some basic electrical / magnetism physics knowledge as the course isn't really suitable for absolute beginners.

You will probably need to know stuff like the main properties of resistors, capacitors, inductors, diodes, transistors, op amps and comparators. Plus be able to calculate things like currents and voltage at different parts of a circuit using things like Kirchoff's law and understand Potential Difference, Current, Reactance, Impedance, current sinks and current sources. Plus you need to know that electronics uses 'conventional current flow' which is the opposite of reality.

You could probably brush up prior to the course start on the things I mentioned. The book 'The Art of Electronics' (usually available on eBay) explains most of it very well and is highly recommended to those with an interest in electronics.

Electronics is easier than it first appears so don't be put off. For the most part there are no complex mathematics but later on an understanding of complex numbers and calculus may be required.
edit on 13-2-2012 by EasyPleaseMe because: Grammar

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Hi science fans.

I guess that if we know what these mean and know
how to use them, we are OK ?

V = RI
P = VI
. . .etc. . .

Blue skies.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
just signed up

We should get a thread going for the members here that are going to be taking the course.
I know they are gonna have forums through MIT, but I think a discussion on MIT course material would be very fitting for ATS, you know denying ignorance and all.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

I knew about the OCW stuff but this looks really good.

Thank you!

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Well, talk about a win/win idea here. Taking the course has no downside like a hit to GPA or any transcripts, but passing makes for a little bonus to point to and a nice Cert for the 'Me wall'.

For MIT, they get a natural way to scout. The top percentile are either cheats, current students, or the precious few who aren't spoken for and MIT can go headhunt with offers. I love more schools doing it. Wasn't Stanford or Princeton offering something like this last year on a different topic?

There is no arguing with free knowledge!

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I signed up!

I think we should start a study group to help each other out,
when the course starts

that is... if anyone is interested!

SnF

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by EasyPleaseMe

Awesome thanks!

I will have to look for that book today. I'd like to take the course, it's free and I have all the time in the world to study up before it begins. I don't work and until work comes along I'm free

I am very interested in this topic and course, my fiancee laughed and assumed I signed up already. I just might now and thanks for the advice and topics that would possibly be required. Some I know basics in but very basic. I learn most of it online since I've never taken courses in it. It's amazing what is online for free

I have taken online courses before, once for school purposes and a few times just for pleasure. I figured if I wanted to learn something and couldn't afford tuition costs I'll definitely sign up for free lessons or courses. It's really amazing what they have available online in course form for free.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by emberscott

Thanks!!

Now I have things to keep me busy til I find work and I'll learn something

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Oh wow!!
Thanks!
I see a few there that I am interested in.....

If is weird to me that i can take all the free courses and pass yet it means nothing to employers because I didn't pay for the paper that says I passed....At least I learned something though

Thanks everyone for the help and reference guides. I guess I can sign up

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join