It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What have you become America? "America's homeless resort to tent cities"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ashtonhz8907

I shall try to find the video on You Tube when I get a bit more time. I didn't realise you wouldn't be able to watch the video there.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
unfortunatly america is any different then any other part of the world. We are just good at getting people to beleive otherwise.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by theconspirator

You have more money and more resources per man than any other country in the world. You are rich, yet this allowed to happen. There is the difference.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmatuerSkyWatcher
reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

So what was the point of your post if you cannot even be bothered to look at the subject matter in the OP? Plain arrogance.

If you had bothered to read and watch, you'd see that this is a problem, the likes of which hasn't been seen since the great depression, and doesn't just encompass those you would typically associate with homelessness. So therefore, it is breaking news.

I don't know the in's and out's of everything that goes on, on your side of the pond. This was news to me, and I find it disgusting, that a country with your resources allows it to happen, hence why I posted the thread.

What I do with my charity is my business, and I don't feel the need to display to all and sundry what I choose to give and to whom. I don't need a pat on the back for my good works.

Everything you just stated is just that ....your statement of what is New News to you is not news to us. Your charity is your business as it is ours. I think you understood quite well what I inferred about helping those around you in need. Don't act like your #### don't stink over there too. You all have the same issues as we do, just smaller because you're all grouped together on a tiny island and your government goes out of it's way to cover it up.

Our problem may be a bigger problem because our Nation is larger nonetheless, once you start pointing your fingers don't forget to point it at yourself first!

ETA
I do appreciate your bringing this to the attention of people who may not know or comprehend the level of a very serious atrocity....just do yourself a favor and recognize the severity of your Nations issues so that you may better assist those that go without the basic necessities to survive day to day. Stop pointing fingers....take a look in the mirror or demand that your leaders do.

BTW
I didn't bother to watch the video because I see it every time I drive down Alameda/Los Angeles Street and have witnessed this for decades. Not to mention I give a huge chunk of money to the people you are so surprised to see sleeping in tents and on the streets. No need to see it again...that's my point, hope you get it.
edit on 2/13/12 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Like I have said many times, Britiain, for all it's wrongdoings, would not allow children to sleep in tent cities in the middle of winter, even though we have less money and resources per man than the USA.

It is a travesty that this should be allowed to continue. And saying that this isn't new news to "y'all" over there does not make you position better, it makes it a whole lot worse.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Like I have said many times, Britiain, for all it's wrongdoings, would not allow children to sleep in tent cities in the middle of winter, even though we have less money and resources per man than the USA.

It is a travesty that this should be allowed to continue. And saying that this isn't new news to "y'all" over there does not make you position better, it makes it a whole lot worse.

To settle this argument (which I dislike) let's just say "okay bud...you're right...I'm wrong"
I don't argue with ignorance and if you can't see past your own nose then that's your problem.

When your Nation suffers the same issues as another you are thereby the Pot Calling the Kettle Black. Don't use the name America and then say because of your resources we should have more, without the knowledge and understanding of our government, as your own country has many many resources.

The issue is the same regardless of where you reside my friend, hence the reason why once again, Americans are standing up and demanding equality

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I think the real question is what we can do to help fix the main problem?

In the city where I live I've seen homelessness on a HUGE rise. In my neighborhood alone there are easily 50-60 RV's with people living out of them, cars parked indefinitely with garbage piled inside up to the headliner, countless others living out of tents or just sleeping in commercial doorways.

When I gave up car camping for ultralight backpacking I realized I had a bunch of extra gear. Before I decided to blindly give it to a "charity" I decided to define charity to myself: "to selflessly give to those in need". At this point I stopped giving useful gear to charities and went direct to the source. I gave my extra gear to a few homeless guys on my way to work, and I befriended them and would regularly help them out when i could afford to. I also regularly support the homeless paper (Real Change here, its called other things in other US cities). But my main thing EVERYTIME i deal with a person who's down on their luck is to talk to them, really talk to them like a fellow human on my same level. I try my best to offer kind supportive words, spiritual advice and of course money, because they need it more than i do. I do not judge if they want to spend it on alcohol or drugs, since what would I want if I was in their shoes? To escape my misery.

Now I do not know about other countries, but I KNOW the financial problem this world is in. You may be able to compare your homeless problems to others, but soon enough you will have to deal with your own problem on your own doorstep, and if you haven't practiced compassion and humility this may be a tough new job for you.

Anyone who doesn't see how dark and undesirable being homeless in an urban surrounding can be i highly recommend a documentary called "Dark Days". I'm sure if I had some good gear and some seeds and lived next to a huge chunk of BLM land in a warm state I could be homeless and comfortable for some time. But I live in a city where most the homeless do not want to be homeless, they want jobs, clean clothes and an aspiring future.

~ Bless the meek, for they shall inherit this earth ~

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by zroth

However, you are all allowing this to happen.

Interesting observation.

The difference here is that your empire is primarily built beyond your borders where the siphon brings everything back to the island.

It is easy to manage a much smaller footprint in this model.

The UK is not far behind us. The rate hike in education has you one generation behind the US in ignorant children that cannot manage the nation.

Hrm... I'm not so sure about the last part. Our public schools are terrible (then again, so are yours) but it is far cheaper to go to University and a huge proportion of students do end up in tertiary education (something like 50%? Maybe?), although I personally think the effects have been paradoxically disastrous on the employment market...

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliquandro

I like how you put that and thank you for being civilized and understanding.

Star for you

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

To be fair to the Americans on this thread, we Brits have alot of gall to claim that we can provide much better. Yes, with very few exceptions, you cannot be shut out into the cold in our country, but the alternative is not significantly better. A roof over your head, perhaps. Our social housing is disgusting, many estates are 'failed estates' which have degenerated into lawless areas of blatant criminality, and we still don't have enough council housing to actually house all those who need it, and thus end up sticking people with no means in whatever accommodation we can find for them (which can, but admittedly rarely does, lead to some truly perverse conclusions).

We also need a serious boost in housing supply, as we are all making less money but paying the same prices for houses who have had their value artificially sustained or boosted by scarcity.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliquandro

Sorry double post

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Yah?Well if you brits were so cool how come the poor scots are getting kicked out in the cold.....
Why dont you try living up in thos shaggy barren hills wi nothin but th heather and bit o kilt to keep the icy fog from freezin yer barnackles off......
Try takin care of the whole nation of homeless youve got just north o ye

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
This very thread is a perfect example of why Americans are living in tents. Manufactured divisions have been craftily inserted at every opportunity.

If the intention of the thread was to foment an honest discussion about the tragic living conditions here in america or anywhere, certain inflammatory remarks could have been omitted.

If on the other hand, the intent was to cause disharmony while at the same time minimizing the very tragedy of homelessness. The author would have received an A+ from the Khazarian Minister of Propaganda & Social Chaos.

I am not saying the OP has any mission but can anybody else see what I'm talking about? Can you see how a thread can be written to make sure it's hijacked?

Which takes me to my second point. My login was hacked here on ATS. I had to get a new password to log on. I've been screaming for a couple years that it was friggin obvious that old log ins had been hacked to make sock puppets look real.

I tried a search on ATS hacked and both recent threads were 404. WTH biatches? Where's the transparency? BFd sites get hacked all the time. Nothing to get embarrassed about unless of course I was right that somebody was sleeping on the job and let scumbag troll NSA operatives use our playground to spread their brand of fetid disease.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
These homeless people need some motivation to build a new community and then laugh at the old one across the street.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by AmatuerSkyWatcher

Its Horrible Here!! We are not even really Free!! I have to live with someone, because I cannot afford housing. I work 50 hours a week and still dont have enough to cover all of my bills and housing. I work in Health Care..my job is a Bio-Hazard Risk..I love the people that I take care of..but it is so dangerous!! I am working at CNA Level..next level is LPN and then RN..I make 10.25 an hour..and I take care of 10 people. My Health Insurance Cost is what is tearing me apart..It cost me 300.00 a month to cover me and my child..It is costing me 60.00 a week just to go back and forth to work..Food Prices are outrangeous..I cant even afford to go to the Dentist because I can not afford the deductable and 20% on just a basic filing..this is what pisses me off!! The Dentist charges 600.00 for 1 filing..The Dentist will not see us unless I have the cash up front...I am going to College Full Time plus the 50 hours I work..They make it so hard to get into RN school..and they dont want you to work while you are going to RN School..I am getting to the point..The Health Care Business is just not worth it!! Im at risk everyday for catching something from the people that I want on..They even put sick people on contact pre-cautions with well people..then the healthy person catches whatever from the room-mate..The worst that I have seen is so much MRSA..Tissue, Airbourne..It Horrible...Basically, I think it is going to come to the point where I just say hell with all of it..and accept that I am going to have to work 2 jobs the rest of my life..I may have to drop out of college...I had a better job offer back in Sept-2006..I sold all that I had to get up there in Montana..I was attacked en-route..I never made it to my duty station..so I fell back on my CNA to survive..I work so much and school on top of that..when I am off..I dont want to do anything but sleep...NC is horrible..there are very few jobs here..even poor teenagers cannot find work..or they do and they only work them a few hours a day..and stretch it out 6 days a week..basically they are just using the heck out of them..The Biggest Problem is the Health Care Bull#!!! Everyone is going to be forced to carry Health Care!! Our Government is going to attempt to control us with Health Care!! I work in Health Care and I do not even Trust Doctors or Nurses!! I think it is all about making money!!

As far as the Tent Cities!! We are going to do whatever it takes to Survive!! I do not look down on this..I know that atleast..they are surviving!! All of us Humans have got to depend more on ourselves not the Government!! Dont get me wrong..I am not Anti-Government..we are the ones that elect them..and our poor President is trying to help the Poor People..I know the guy is not perfect..but I can see he is trying..the only thing I disagree with him about is Forcing Americans to Carry Health Care..that is not going to work..In my opinion..Everyone should have Food, Clothing and Shelter and a Right to Healthcare and Education..anything extra would be a luxury...I picked up a homeless teenager months back on my way to work..It broke my Heart..he said that he had slept under a Bridge..his family had put him out on the street..and the homeless shelter would not take him...I gave him something to eat..and he wanted me to take him to my College where he would run into some of his friends..so he would have somewhere else to stay for a night or so..I got to work and that child..he was 22 stayed on my mind..I could not think about anything else..I called him on his cell phone..he did have a cell phone..I begged him to tell me his parents names..I asked him..was it ok ..if I talked with them...I finally was able to make contact with his sister..I begged her to go and pick her brother up..she said she would...I dont know what happen from that point..How can I really help someone..when I dont even have a foudation to stand on..I do what I can..I am in the process of getting me and my children low-income housing..but there is a year waiting list..so maybe in a year..we will have our own home..

This is what is going on in America..Basically, our Government is filled with a bunch of Spoiled Men that dont have a clue what it is like to go without Food, Clothing and Shelter..

I am not proud to be from the US anymore!! I just cant think of anywhere else to go.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by lbndhr

How is Montana? Are things better there? Our Country is Falling Apart! I am so worried about the 800 FEMA Camps created..Something is going down and No-One is telling us..Montana is going to be The Last One Standing! I wish you well!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

Originally posted by Tw0Sides

Originally posted by Starchild23

Maybe if you lot weren't so absorbed in your materialistic ways, you'd realize how liberating it is to sleep in a tent out in the woods.

Now this is a interesting Spin on the Situation.

The US Gov is liberating us, by driving us all towards poverty.

Is it poverty if you don't want all the material stuff that supposedly determines your status in society? I have ruminated upon this subject at length, and I believe that it might be a wise decision to learn to LET GO of material objects except for those items you really need...because it may prepare you for what is inevitably coming.

If you tend to go without, then poverty has no effect.

The Joneses can die in a fire, for all I care.

edit on CMondaypm292911f11America/Chicago13 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

Well we're all so glad for you...

Now if you would look past your own ego and see that a lot of these people DO NOT WANT to be where they are. Also, I agree that materialism is rampant, but you are way off base.

Are you seriously suggesting that a tent city is the U.S. Gov liberating us via poverty. Time to lay off the happy pills. And yeah, you were so liberated by your experience that you gave up the internet and posting on web forums, huh?

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   

reply to post by theconspirator

You have more money and more resources per man than any other country in the world. You are rich, yet this allowed to happen. There is the difference.

Ya see right here. This is the problem in BOTH countries.

What have you done to help the less fortunate in your country? Oh, what they don't exist there. Oh, what, it's your government's responsibility to take care of them. That's a great attitude you got there.

One of the biggest problems I see is the stigmatism that the homeless get. I saw a guy living in a homemade shanty by the railroad tracks, so I went up, introduced myself, and now we're friends. I go out and talk with him, bring food and a couple beers and we shoot the sh**. He's just like anybody else, but you should see the looks people give when they see us sitting out there talking.

It's like Harper told me, "There are some crazies, but they're mostly in the shelters. The people living outdoors avoid the shelters because they are full of crazies, drug addicts, and thieves. The people running the shelters mean well, but they invade your privacy by searching through your belongings and you don't have any freedoms there. There are good people living outdoors, mostly they just want to find work and get a small place were they can live like normal people."

This guy is one of the most honest and down to earth people I've met in quite awhile. And I never would have met him if I was scared by the stigma and over-dramatized stories about how lazy, or crazy, or just bad people the homeless are. I do what I can by bringing food and giving him someone to talk to and I would move the guy into my place, but it's a tiny one bedroom I share with my pregnant wife.

So, yeah, if I can find time and resources to give while I work my way through graduate school and work a crappy job while living in a little apartment - then what the hell are you doing? Watching Youtube videos and reading articles while you sit on the couch and moan about how our government isn't doing anything? Saying that people need to take responsibility for themselves and pull themselves up off the street? If that makes you feel better, then fine. But in my opinion you're a soulless coward. Put up or shut up.

If you're not personally doing something to make a difference then shut your yap. Those of us who actually give a sh** AND especially our friends living outdoors - we're all tired of listening to you. We know that you're just looking for something else to complain about and we see you for what you really are.
edit on 14-2-2012 by ShockTruther because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by AmatuerSkyWatcher

Yes i find this highly disturbing. Ghaddafi managed to build a home for every Libyan citizen no matter how poor they were. Yet we cannot manage the same in the "prosperous" west.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Once again, you can cry about it all you want. If have half a clue, then you know the government isn't going to do a damn thing about it.

It is up to individual people to put up or shut up. If you're not doing something personally to help, then why are you complaining on the interwebs? It shouldn't be like this, but our society has allowed it. It is now up to individual citizens to pick up the slack.

This goes double for the people who say that the government needs to get out of everyone's lives. I agree, the government needs to f*** off. But, guess what? Then it's up to us individuals to do the right thing and help people. You can't hide behind "I don't like the government" and then expect the government to take care of the homeless for you. An if you believe the lies that are used to stigmatize the homeless, well you're just selectively believing propaganda so that you can feel better about not doing anything.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join