It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What have you become America? "America's homeless resort to tent cities"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
Considering I live just across the state, and see things like that going on every year (my friend is one of them) I can tell you exactly what's going on.

I joined my buddy for a week or so in his lifestyle, and I have to admit... it's freeing.

Are you F***ing serious. Try living for months and months like that.
Yeah i bet living in a tent struggling to eat and survive is so liberating and freeing for you after that.
You have got to be joking or your just a rich SOB that has never had to struggle to survive.

Maybe if you lot weren't so absorbed in your materialistic ways, you'd realize how liberating it is to sleep in a tent out in the woods.

Maybe if you got your head out of your butt you might see how degrading this is to live in a tent.
By your statement its obvious that you have never struggled to survive in this world, i bet you have never had to live on the streets like some of us have had to.
Well guess what, it isn't liberating.

edit on 13-2-2012 by WozaMeathed because: Cant Spell

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by KonquestAbySS
reply to post by Tw0Sides

So does this mean we all are going to be equally poor? If we can't be equally wealthy like the rest of the U.S. moneymakers, then it would be easier to make us all equal by living in poverty. That is sad.

No, equality will still not happen.

Some will have 8 man tents,(elite tent dweller) while some will have "pup" tents, 2 man.
But even those people will look down on the "Box people",

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by lbndhr
reply to post by AmatuerSkyWatcher

This thread is so true. in February of 2010 my family moved to montana for work reasons, our route took us straight through colorado, as we was driviong through colorado springs and I was looking to the right out the passengers window to view the river what I saw shocked me, tents lined along the river through the entire city, I saw families moving about. In california where my mother lives she told me there is tent city all over california. Some of these tent cities are actually organized with security and leadership. If they get to much media attention the city leaders kick them out. But ya its real here in america.

So tell me...when you were driving along in your pretty little car, safe and sound and on your way to a stable lifestyle, what did you do to help these people out?

They don't want sympathy. They want assistance. A lot of them are proud to be who they are...why? Because they don't need to take # from the government to get what they need.

And meanwhile, all of these other people with plenty of money and well-paying jobs and whatnot have to kowtow to the government for what they get, and they still ignore the homeless. It's sickening.

edit on CMondaypm545415f15America/Chicago13 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides

Maybe if you lot weren't so absorbed in your materialistic ways, you'd realize how liberating it is to sleep in a tent out in the woods.

Now this is a interesting Spin on the Situation.

The US Gov is liberating us, by driving us all towards poverty.

I agree it is interesting, and it will become a growing realization that once ones needs are met more does not make you rich.I can and have lived in a tent and I have lived in a 2million dollar beach home. Never felt less rich than in the over jacked Mc Mansion. Felt richest when my farm was growing strong and the land was my partner not my property
APB

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmericanPitBull

Originally posted by Tw0Sides

Now this is a interesting Spin on the Situation.

The US Gov is liberating us, by driving us all towards poverty.

I agree it is interesting, and it will become a growing realization that once ones needs are met more does not make you rich.I can and have lived in a tent and I have lived in a 2million dollar beach home. Never felt less rich than in the over jacked Mc Mansion. Felt richest when my farm was growing strong and the land was my partner not my property
APB

Exactly. When the land is your friend, and the trees your home, you feel fresh and clear.

It's liberating.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
We've had the Urban campers for a long long time.

With the economic times that we've had in the past 5 years the number of Urban campers has increased but it's far from a new issue.

Some people choose not to work. They are the long term Urban campers. Now, people have lost their houses and are thrust in to that environment. It's not good. However, with a little research, one can find places that are hiring. We've got a of services for the poor in this country. You just need to make yourself look into it.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

lets start with, Well actually my "pretty" little car is a 1999 gmc truck wioth 343,000 miles, 1- i cant afford a new truck, 2 I figure it still has a heart beat why worry about it know right? second actually yes I did, When we got to montana I called colorado springs homeless shelter and donated $100.00 a month until we lost our jobs 02-02-11. Not only did I help when I could and always have help-ed when I see people in need. I still give if i have to people when i see them down and out. Do you mr rich person? do you just stop and help becuase you see he or she is homeless? without reasoning? I do and i feel good about what I can. peace out mr mean richy

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
We've had the Urban campers for a long long time.

With the economic times that we've had in the past 5 years the number of Urban campers has increased but it's far from a new issue.

Some people choose not to work. They are the long term Urban campers. Now, people have lost their houses and are thrust in to that environment. It's not good. However, with a little research, one can find places that are hiring. We've got a of services for the poor in this country. You just need to make yourself look into it.

This problem is not solely down to people who do not work. This is a problem for people who work, who cannot afford to live on the measley wages they are paid. Please look at the statistics provided in the link and video I provided in the opening post.

Long live the American dream!
edit on 13-2-2012 by AmatuerSkyWatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Are you actually serious with this thread? I was looking to post a link in regards to homelessness in Britain; then after typing it in Google there were too many to even pick just 1 or 2.

You think this is an American problem? Come on; please do not tell me you are that ignorant. There are thousands of homeless children in the U.K.

Please show me proof otherwise; the UK has the same EXACT problems as the US. It looks worse in the US now because of the current state of the economy and the media has decided to "latch" onto it. Then you talk about not helping out; what do you know about who helps out and who doesn't? You latch onto 1 video about people in Michigan and turn a blind eye to the thousands of other stories where people are helping and trying to make a difference.

I know that America is portrayed globally as the Big Bad Wolf; but please do not catergorize all of it's (or even a small percentage) of it's citizens into this.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

What if everything is standard issued like military boot camp for example. You get what everyone else gets and you make use of it...Do you think it will ever get that point?

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by lbndhr
reply to post by Starchild23

lets start with, Well actually my "pretty" little car is a 1999 gmc truck wioth 343,000 miles, 1- i cant afford a new truck, 2 I figure it still has a heart beat why worry about it know right? second actually yes I did, When we got to montana I called colorado springs homeless shelter and donated $100.00 a month until we lost our jobs 02-02-11. Not only did I help when I could and always have help-ed when I see people in need. I still give if i have to people when i see them down and out. Do you mr rich person? do you just stop and help becuase you see he or she is homeless? without reasoning? I do and i feel good about what I can. peace out mr mean richy

It's hilarious that you assume I'm rich. I'm middle class at best.

I do help people where I can. I've helped my friend out numerous times.

I simply asked because so many people look the other way...they pay in sympathy, not supplies.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

I agree, the stats are terrible.

How about this for a solution. If you're poor, don't have kids. Kids are expensive. No one else should have to pay to raise your kids.

Lower your expectations if you're poor. You're not going to have the nice house, the big car etc. You're going to have to scrape by. It sucks.

How about getting an education or job training. It's available. Education is free in the US. Many people that are poor didn't avail themselves of the opportunities that are readily available here in the US.

With the current economy, I recognize that there are many people who have been successfully employed in the past and can't seem to find a job now. To them, my heart goes out.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by CORN IS NUTS

Are you actually serious with this thread? I was looking to post a link in regards to homelessness in Britain; then after typing it in Google there were too many to even pick just 1 or 2.

You think this is an American problem? Come on; please do not tell me you are that ignorant. There are thousands of homeless children in the U.K.

Please show me proof otherwise; the UK has the same EXACT problems as the US. It looks worse in the US now because of the current state of the economy and the media has decided to "latch" onto it. Then you talk about not helping out; what do you know about who helps out and who doesn't? You latch onto 1 video about people in Michigan and turn a blind eye to the thousands of other stories where people are helping and trying to make a difference.

I know that America is portrayed globally as the Big Bad Wolf; but please do not catergorize all of it's (or even a small percentage) of it's citizens into this.

I tell you what, you post the statistics and proof for children who are homeless and LIVING IN TENTS in Britain, and I will come back with a rebuttal. This would not happen in Britain. Yes we have broken homes where children run away, yes we have homelessness. Does our government ignore them and leave them on the street? No, they try to help. Sometimes it fails, but they atleast try!

Perhaps you missed the linkl I provided in the OP to the videos on You Tube?

It's a pretty simple thing in my eyes. You ARE the richest country in the world, you ARE the richest population on Earth - yet you allow families to live like this and starve? This isn't freaking Africa we are talking about here, it's the "USA, USA, USA" as you all like to shout at the top of your lungs.

Meh, who am I kidding, go back to watching sugary drink and fast food commercials before the 'Kardashian's' comes back on.
edit on 13-2-2012 by AmatuerSkyWatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77

I agree, the stats are terrible.

How about this for a solution. If you're poor, don't have kids. Kids are expensive. No one else should have to pay to raise your kids.

Lower your expectations if you're poor. You're not going to have the nice house, the big car etc. You're going to have to scrape by. It sucks.

How about getting an education or job training. It's available. Education is free in the US. Many people that are poor didn't avail themselves of the opportunities that are readily available here in the US.

With the current economy, I recognize that there are many people who have been successfully employed in the past and can't seem to find a job now. To them, my heart goes out.

I really don't think you understand this problem. I think it is pretty much a generalisation to think that all these families have always been poor.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmatuerSkyWatcher

I'm sure I am in for a lot of hate after posting this, but hey ho, so shall it be. I'm British, and no matter what you may think of us, this would not happen here. How can your government justify spending billions on wars and proxy wars, yet let this happen to your own people? How can the richest country on the planet, with the richest population let this happen to their neighbours?

F&S for the OP, but you left out one little detail, we also have some of the greediest people on the planet and their greed just won't allow them to support social programs that would help to correct the problems so duly noted in your OP. Greed is the Anti-Christ they all fear yet it's the very thing that's destroying the world around them as they embrace the attribute as if it were founding principle of the Christian faith. Go figure!

I'm not Catholic, but I have seen the hate dished out to the Catholic church on this site. They may be child molesters and murderers, but it seem's to me, they are the one's feeding and helping these people. What are you doing?

While I have dished out my share of anti-Catholic rhetoric on this site, it's more out of disgust than hate. IMO, the Catholic Church should be held in the same light as organized crime and should be treated as such. There is no excuse for systematically shuffling pedophiles around to prey on the parishioner's children and/or the ensuing cover-up of the scandal.

Furthermore, while I agree that the Catholic Church does indeed participate in programs to help the needy, the same could be said for the Taliban.
edit on 13-2-2012 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I do help people where I can. I've helped my friend out numerous times.

I simply asked because so many people look the other way...they pay in sympathy, not supplies.

Is this the firend who is so liberated and free?

I do agree with your latter sentiment though.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I'm British, and no matter what you may think of us, this would not happen here. How can your government justify spending billions on wars and proxy wars, yet let this happen to your own people? How can the richest country on the planet, with the richest population let this happen to their neighbours?

No the poo flinging will not be coming at you for posting this, it is an acceptable criticism/observation and it deserves to be addressed. You say that this would not happen in your country but I beg to differ, when quality of life for a nation is traded for the acquisition of the almighty dollar, this is the result. Do you think that your governments are immune from this kind of corruption?

I say government here because it is not the people who have done this to each other....I think i can safely speak for the majority of my fellow Americans that this is more than saddening, nobody wants to see their fellow countrymen live this way, especially children. Do you think that we are all that blind and callous?

I'm not Catholic....but it seem's to me, they are the one's feeding and helping these people. What are you doing?

Well I cant speak for anyone but myself but my family does all that we can for those that are down on their luck. I am not going to enumerate because it doesn't matter, I don't want a metal nor do i expect one but you need to be well aware that there are alot of people who take food from their mouths and shirts from their backs to help others out. We aren't all just sucking back 6 dollar lattes and turning the other cheek.

...the ammount of videos (many of which are made by your own main stream media) is staggering. Are you all playing the ignorance card?

Since your on you-tube I suggest you broaden your search queries, specifically regarding people getting ARRESTED for feeding the poor and homeless and tell me that we are all just playing the ignorance card. We are being forced into a position of non-intervention. Its either comply or join the tent cities. I have small children and yeah it is pretty f# up to say it but their best interests come first before me or anyone. I do what i can unfortunately sometimes that is just not enough; this is what happens when it is the poor trying to help the poor. Welcome to the plutocracy of the united states. Enjoy your stay..delousing is the first door to the right bunks are provided on a first come first serve basis.

edit on 13-2-2012 by clowdstalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

I agree, I don't condone that behaviour anymore than you do. I was, however, pointing out that this 'evil' organisation, was probably doing more good for these people, than the people who regularly like to bash on them.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by clowdstalker

That's all well and good. But is it not up to you, the citizens of said goverment who enforces such laws to change that?

I'm telling you now, this would not happen in Britain. The government wouldn't have the balls to even try it.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Your post regarding tents in the USA is nothing new , in times of financial depression , also the UK does have some small tent cities dotted around, Europe has vast swathes of people living in tents/ makeshift cardboard boxes etc.Hooverville was more box and tarps , tents in the 30s were not within easy reach of the homeless.

In the 1930s, Hoovervilles (shantytowns) formed coast to coast in cities of the United States. Some families were fortunate enough to stay with friends and family members that hadn't been evicted yet, but homeless men, women and children were forced to take up residence in shacks as a result of the Great Depression. Angry, cold and hungry Americans, who had no other place to reside, dubbed groups of those shacks in honor of President Herbert Hoover.

www.u-s-history.com...

A 'Hooverville' was the popular name for shanty towns built by homeless people during the Great Depression. They were named after the President of the United States at the time, Herbert Hoover, because he allegedly let the nation slide into depression. The term was coined by Charles Michelson, publicity chief of the Democratic National

en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join