It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High levels of radioactive cesium have been detected in noodles produced in Okinawa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

High levels of radioactive cesium have been detected in noodles produced in Okinawa, apparently because they were made with water filtered by ashes from Fukushima-produced wood. The noodles, called "Okinawa soba," had a level of radioactivity of 258 becquerels of cesium per kilogram. The restaurant that produced them had kneaded them with water filtered by the ashes of Fukushima Prefecture-produced wood. The Forestry Agency on Feb. 10 notified prefectures across Japan not to use ashes made from wood or charcoal in cooking if the materials were lumbered or produced in Fukushima Prefecture, Tokyo and 15 other prefectures following the outbreak of the Fukushima nuclear disaster in March last year, even if the wood or charcoal bore levels of cesium lower than the government-set standard -- 40 becquerels per kilogram for cooking wood and 280 becquerels per kilogram for charcoal. According to the agency, the cesium contamination of Okinawan noodles surfaced on Feb. 7 in testing conducted by the Okinawa Prefectural Government. An ensuing survey found 468 becquerels of cesium in cooking wood that was distributed through the same route as the one for wood delivered to the restaurant. The central government set a standard on Nov. 2 last year stating that the radioactivity of cesium concentrated by burning wood or charcoal should not exceed 8,000 becquerels per kilogram -- a level allowed for landfill at disposal sites. However, methods for examining the concentration were not established until Nov. 18, while the cooking wood in question was shipped on Nov. 7. "We had not assumed that ashes would be used in food processing (when we drew up the standard)," said a Forestry Agency official. Ashes are used in kneading noodles and sometimes in removing the bitter taste, or "aku" from devil's tongue and wild vegetables.

Source : RSOE DIS site

The Forestry Agency on Feb. 10 notified prefectures across Japan not to use ashes made from wood or charcoal in cooking if the materials were lumbered or produced in Fukushima Prefecture, Tokyo and 15 other prefectures following the outbreak of the Fukushima nuclear disaster in March last year, even if the wood or charcoal bore levels of cesium lower than the government-set standard -- 40 becquerels per kilogram for cooking wood and 280 becquerels per kilogram for charcoal.

More evidence of how far and widespread huge amounts of toxic radioactive contamination settled on the people of Japan while the government and Tepco lied to them and said everything is fine.......

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I just got done reading this on RSOE myself. I have nothing to add but I am sure more stories like this will be showing up soon.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
The entire Fukishima Facility and anything showing high radioactive readings needs to be buried and covered in concrete. It then needs to quarantined as Chernobyl has been until we have the technology to render it safe and remove the hard radioactivity. Flag for a good find and post.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by RoyalBlue

So that's why my mouth started tingling after eating that cup of noodles.

Seriously though, this is not good. And I'm sure we will be seeing more stories like this soon, as the poster above stated. I knew this would happen, it's why radiation is so dangerous, it gets everywhere...

new topics

top topics

join