It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bomb Nobody Talks About..The Politically Incorrect Neutron Bomb

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by OnceReturned
reply to post by tonycliffs

An interesting technology, but they're not in use. That last one in our arsenal was dismantled in 2011 according to the National Nuclear Security Administration. See their 2011 fiscal year recap, paragraph 3: www.nnsa.energy.gov...

The only other nations known to have built them were France and China, and there's no indication that they still have them in their arsenals. They're complicated and difficult to build, so only wealthy, technologically advanced militaries could ever produce them. Getting rid of them was part of international nuclear disarmarment treaties after the Cold War. If you believe everyone is being honest, there are no neutron bombs in anyone's arsenals.

Au Contraire....India, Pakistan, China, Russia and South Africa have neutron bombs.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Fitch303

There is no enemy. Just people.

Once you come to terms with that, youll get your guilt back.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by tonycliffs

Au Contraire....India, Pakistan, China, Russia and South Africa have neutron bombs.

I believe you are mistaken, you may want to double check your source.

The U.S., France, the former Soviet Union and most recently the PRC ( who were rumored to have acquired the technological know how along with the miniaturization technology of the W88 warhead through their nuclear espionage programs of the70's, 80's and 90's ) are the only nations to have developed the capability to design enhanced radiation weapons.

The last assemblies were dismantled by the late 90's/early 00's, the PRC is believed to have not pursued the technology beyond the theory.

Neither India or Pakistan have pursued enhanced radiation weapons and South Africa abandoned its nuclear ambitions over twenty years ago and were never capable of producing such an advanced weapon design.

Of note is the W70 design warhead was a traditional lightweight tactical weapon with variable yield of between 1 and 100 kilotons. The enhanced radiation "neutron bomb" was produced as the W70-3, a highly modified device with few similarities to the standard W70.

The inventor of the neutron bomb, Samuel Cohen, has criticized the description of the W70 as a "neutron bomb":

" ..the W-70 ... is not even remotely a "neutron bomb." Instead of being the type of weapon that, in the popular mind, "kills people and spares buildings" it is one that both kills and physically destroys on a massive scale. The W-70 is not a discriminate weapon, like the neutron bomb — which, incidentally, should be considered a weapon that "kills enemy personnel while sparing the physical fabric of the attacked populace, and even the populace too."

Check Your Facts: Cox Report Bombs

Prior to the W70-3, the U.S. deployed the W66 (to arm the Sprint ABM) and the W79-0 (a tactical nuclear artillery shell), both of which were technically "neutron bombs" as well.

Three types of ERW were built by the United States. The W66 warhead, for the anti-ICBM Sprint missile system, was deployed in 1975 and retired the next year, along with the missile system. The W70 Mod 3 warhead was developed for the short-range, tactical Lance missile, and the W79 Mod 0 was developed for artillery shells. The latter two types were retired by President George H. W. Bush in 1992, following the end of the Cold War.The last W70 Mod 3 warhead was dismantled in 1996,and the last W79 Mod 0 was dismantled by 2003, when the dismantling of all W79 variants was completed.

Besides the United States and Soviet Union, France and China are understood to have tested neutron or enhanced radiation bombs in the past, with France apparently leading the field with an early test of the technology in 1967 and an "actual" neutron bomb in 1980. The 1999 Cox Report indicates that China is able to produce neutron bombs, although no country is currently known to deploy them.

National Nuclear Security Administration

Complete List of All U.S. Nuclear Weapons/nuclearweaponarchive.org

Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)/W70

The W66 thermonuclear warhead

W79 nuclear artillery shell

Hope this helps

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I've always found the Neutron Bomb completely fascinating.

And of the top of my head, I can think of two ways to still have them while not having them on the books. Plus, I'd never trust anything France says about weapons or nuclear power. Ever. EVER.

Anyways, thanks for the links. Is there a reason that you put them up today when Mr.Cohen died in 2010?

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Jello Biafra talked about it in song, in the 80's.

Efficiency and progress is ours once more
Now that we have the Neutron bomb
It's nice and quick and clean and gets things done
Away with excess enemy
But no less value to property
No sense in war but perfect sense at home

edit on 13-2-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
Anyways, thanks for the links. Is there a reason that you put them up today when Mr.Cohen died in 2010?

Almost asleep when my mind slide sideways on the effect of neutrons on my question on another thread. '

Holy Mother of Hades.

Effects of neutron radiation on humans in does less than immediately lethal.

www.ippnw.org...

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Hey helpful hint to all of you who only come to the weaponry forum to talk about how bad and evil weapons are, And Or how bad and evil we are for taking an interest in them. If you don't like talk about weapons how about staying out of the WEAPONRY forum? Just because you see no use for them doesn't mean the rest of us have to bow to your "superior moral compass" and not talk about them because we might offend you.

Quite simply if you don't like weapons or people who enjoy discussing weapons stay out of the WEAPONRY forum. This forum is NOT ABOUT whether you think weapons are icky nasty things and should be banned. The plain fact is some of us realize that weapons, for better or worse, exist and will continue to exist for the foreseeable future. Because weapons will exist for the foreseeable future we see value in discussing weapons and weaponry related topics AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT!

The bottom line is if you don't like it you don't have to CHOOSE TO READ IT....

I have almost stopped coming to the weaponry forum out of the sheer frustration of having to spend hours reading through post after post of self righteous blowhards trying to tell me how bad and evil I am for taking an interest in the weapons of the world.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by tonycliffs

"Neutron Bomb" is small (~1 kt) thermonuclear weapon. It was designed to give pulse of intense radiation
with limited blast effects to resist mass armour attack by Soviet forces against NATO in Europe.

Joke was that towns in Germany (principal anticipated battleground) were 2 kilotons apart.....

Using "conventional" nuclear weapons would cause tremendous collateral damage to German civilians and
infastructure as well as endangering friendly forces.

Previously the US had designed and fielded a very small (10 - 20 tons .01 - .02 Kt) nuclear weapon - the
so called "DAVY CROCKETT" recoiless rifle with range of 2000 - 4000 meters (depending on caliber -
there were 2 mods 120 mm and larger 155mm)

The Davy Crockett warhead had a lethal damage radius from radiation (500 rem) of 350 - 400 meters

The neutron warhead used a small thermonuclear (hydrogen bomb) - to achieve this was on the edge
of technology . To ignite a thernonuclear reaction requires a conventional fission weapon of 250 ton (.25 kt) size
Deuterium-tritium is injected in the core or pit just prior to detonation. The fission explosion ignites the
fusion reaction which produces large amount of radiation (gamma) and free neutrons.

The radiation is capable of penetrating even thick armour of tanks killing the crews.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
One reason they were taken out of service was that they would not work on tanks that use depleted uranium as a layer in there armor like the US M1 Abrams tank because DU is a very good neutron absorber.

Plus the US has developed very good guided anti tank bomblets that home in on the tops of tanks
en.wikipedia.org...

Even the french have a good anti tank guidance package that will home in on tanks.
This bolts onto a GP bomb and the bomb can even be a inert concrete filled practice bomb as a 500 pound concrete filled bomb casing will by mass alone punch right through the top of a tank
edit on 18-2-2012 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Agreed. Whole human mind set is off as far as survival goes, I mean after analyzing some of the us military we've actually found that they'd not only betray their own country but their entire planet. Weird huh? It's like everyone is clinging on to a side of the battlefield and yet know absolutely nothing.

They don't call me Anubis for nothing. Are you the one from SG1? Da. Wonderful. I will speak with the star children. lol "Emp to the mother and sun, tore the digital down, indigo children." You may say that if you act against Anubis we would cause your own civilization to hate itself.

Are you serious? We have a list of allies, a list of actions, and a list of destruction. My advice to you all is to play nice or you may find lightning outside your home, you may find your own pets seeking your destruction. Infact I have a weapons platform capable of just that awaiting my orders. Now weigh Barracks heart. Anubis has found him innocent, weatherman group really? lol Barrack? I Anubis is your friend, Aldara is your friend, Starchild is your friend. If you are looking for enemies look at the witch hunter who shares your office with you.

StarChild if you have any questions for me then ask them in pm.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Maybe the future lies with 'EMP' (Electro-Magnetic Pulse) bombs, launched on rockets (or satellites) to detonate many miles high to fry computer electronics and communications on the ground below, effectively plunging the target country back into the stone age.
Kurt Russell did it in the final scene of 'Escape from LA', prompting somebody to remark in awe- "He shut down the earth!"

Youtube clip- youtu.be...

edit on 3-3-2012 by Waymarker because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-3-2012 by Waymarker because: corrected 'earth' for 'world'

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
I remember you posting another thread about cluster bombs being awesome. Bomb Of Fear

Seriously...if we didn't have any bombs, no one would have to worry. Let's get rid of the bloody things, and just hold hands and sing for once in our ingloriously destructive lives! I know, unrealistic...but don't you just get tired of the dying and blowing # up?
edit on CMondayam515122f22America/Chicago13 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

America must protect democracy from evil people who hate us.

we must use all weapons.

remember 9/11.

remember the victims.

they were just going to work.

but they were killed in a horrible way.

the war on terror is the most important war.

you are appeasing terrorists and our enemies.

they are a threat to our way of life.

liberals and softies like you are also a threat.

why don't you leave america and go live in irak or iran...

we will see how long you last as they torture and murder you.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Waymarker
Maybe the future lies with 'EMP' (Electro-Magnetic Pulse) bombs, launched on rockets (or satellites) to detonate many miles high to fry computer electronics and communications on the ground below, effectively plunging the target country back into the stone age.

EMPs don't need to be delivered by nuke. Provided you don't need E2 or E3 types, you can buy a couple hundred big-ass capacitors and fry a city from a truck.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join