It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Pirate Bay Says Goodbye to (Most) Torrents on February 29

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

The Pirate Bay Says Goodbye to (Most) Torrents on February 29

torrentfreak.com

OH NOEZ! The Pirate Bay Says Goodbye to (Most) Torrents on February 29

The Pirate Bay Says Goodbye to (Most) Torrents on February 29 torrentfreak.com...
[EX]The Pirate Bay has confirmed that all torrent files being shared by more than 10 people will be deleted on February 29. The decision is causing a small panic among the site’s users, but in reality little will change as all files will remain available through magnet links. The Pirate Bay crew told TorrentFreak that this is merely a “step forward in technology”
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
VERY IMPORTANT RELATED: Pirate Bay to Allow Real-Object Downloads. The Real Reason for ... 802694/pg1

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
no need to freak folks all torrents with less than 10 users will be converted to .magnet links

this is TPB merely being very proactive they are not giving up without a fight

and portable!!!

The Pirate Bay team told TorrentFreak that the transition to a magnet site is “a step forward in technology,” and one that will make the site more resistant to being shut down.

Without torrents it takes less bandwidth to host a Pirate Bay proxy site which are used to circumvent ISP blockades in countries like Italy, Ireland, The Netherlands and Belgium. In addition, the Pirate Bay will become much more portable and thus easier to move around.

How easy it is to carry a copy of a torrent-less Pirate Bay became apparent last week, when a user reduced the entire site to 90 megabytes – small enough to fit on a tiny thumb drive. The Pirate Bay team likes the idea of a “portable” backup of the site and told TorrentFreak that they are considering releasing an official version in the future.

It’s quite remarkable to see how The Pirate Bay has transformed in recent years. The site is no longer hosting a tracker, and soon .torrent files will be entirely replaced by magnet links. Despite these changes the iconic file-sharing site is picking up new users every week.

torrentfreak.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

something went wrong with related thread link so 'ill repost here
VERY IMPORTANT RELATED:
Pirate Bay to Allow Real-Object Downloads. The Real Reason for ...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

please read the related thread as it shows that it's not about piracy but preserving the status quo re "business as usual" and maintaining the economic-debt-slavery-planned obsolescence paradigm
edit on 13-2-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: fixed related thread link added comment

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
more related links[ at bottom of article]:

The Pirate Bay Moves to .SE Domain To Prevent Domain Seizure
torrentfreak.com...
Download a Copy of The Pirate Bay, It’s Only 90 MB
torrentfreak.com...
The Pirate Bay Shows Futility of Domain and DNS Blocks
torrentfreak.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
but where woild he be placed ,

magnet is not torent file ?

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I don't really understand what these magnet links are, and the wiki page is a bit technical for me, anyone car to explain it in lay mans terms?

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by user225300

reply to post by polarwarrior

Ahoy me hearties!
BitTorrent Magnet Links Explained
news.softpedia.com...

Magnet links

Magnet links though are just links, they have no files associated with them just data. The links are an evolving URI standard developed primarily to be used by p2p networks. They differ from URLs, for example, in that they don't hold information on the location of a resource but rather on the content of the file or files to which they link. Technically, magnet links are made up of a series of parameters containing various data in no particular order. In the case of BitTorrent, they hold the hash value of the torrent which is then used to locate copies of the files among the peers. They may also hold file name data or links to trackers used by the torrent. You can check out the entry on Wikipedia for a more detailed technical description.

With magnet links, BitTorrent indexers don't have to store any file at all, just a few snippets of data leaving the individual client apps to do all the heavy lifting. In fact, magnet links can be copy-pasted as plain text by users and shared via email, IM or any other medium. For the indexer sites, the allure is clear, using magnet links makes it harder for them to be accused of any wrong-doing in court. Theoretically, magnet links should not have any disadvantages for the users over .torrent files either. It would also potentially make downloads faster as it would enable the clients to download from peers which have identical files but with different names, for example.

note the above is a Softpedia article

Magnet_URI_scheme
en.wikipedia.org...
BitTorrent’s Future: DHT, PEX, and Magnet Links Explained
lifehacker.com...

edit on 13-2-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: added reply to polarwarrior

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
this is less effecive than torent ?

also , no1 can see numbr of seeders if all over 10 are removd ,

do you agree

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   

there are a few kinks to be worked out
the softpedia article has them under limitations

i don't understand your question about seeders

edit to add:

most bittorrent clients can handle .magnet links as well

edit on 13-2-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: added comment

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
the begining of the end 4 torrents ,

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by user225300
the begining of the end 4 torrents ,

just another round/battle

and a blow struck for privacy

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
A little while ago TPB started using the magnet links. I have been using them. Works almost the same as it did before, but now instead of downloaded the torrent to your internet browser it downloads it to your downloading software. Like for me, it downloads straight to Vuze. You can still delete the trackers when you are done.

I agree, it's not the end of downloading.

Just like the good ol' saying. "Where there is a will, there is a way."
edit on 13-2-2012 by MoosKept240 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
Download a Copy of The Pirate Bay, It’s Only 90 MB
torrentfreak.com...
downloading that sucker right now!

And this isn't really anything to worry about guys, the torrents will still be available as far as I can tell, magnet links are just another way to access the torrent.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

That may be true but there is always something to take its place. Pirating and p2p arent going anywhere despite what laws are passed (SOPA, PIPA and ACTA included)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

L
L

more Discord for TCOTBIP no doubt

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Download all the cool software you can ASAP because it might be harder to find. I do Luke the idea of indexing all the torrent files into a compact 100 mb file, torrent file is very very small and you can certainly get around this limitation by distributing the index file via torrent itself

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Here is a copy of all torrents on bitsnoop:

It's on the bottom of this page:
torrentfreak.com...

That's right in 535 mb file you have 17 million torrents spread it around

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
People can share torrents without host websites now anyway, the only way to really stop peer to peer sharing would be to shut down the internet.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

from your link: Download a Copy of The Pirate Bay, It’s Only 90 MB
torrentfreak.com...

What’s perhaps even more striking is that the greatest arch rival of a billion dollar entertainment industry is nothing more than 164 megabytes of text. Something to think about.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

Here is a direct link to the magnet link:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:F5615DFB80AC995787C1B2219A75DF7805278DEA

It's amazing that this line above me contains the information to 17 million torrents which in turn has the information to download billions of files

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Oh wow, I didn't see that bitsnoop dump at the bottom of the article. That's even better!

Now all I need to do is build a simple application that lets me search through these files for what I want. Completely offline torrent searching!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join