It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frozen continent! Europe's rivers, lakes and even seas are iced over

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   

You would be forgiven for thinking these stunning vistas lay deep in the heart of Antarctica.

Now I live in Australia have never seen snow in real life and cannot imagine what it would be to live under these conditions in fact i doubt i would last a week,this does look like the middle of Antarctica
www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Unfortunately it seems to be the end of the cold in western Europe now, or fortunately depending on how you look at it. It has been cold though, my guage got down to -18°C at one point which is fairly cold for Belgium.
Shame we had little snow though, weather wise this last 12 months has been utterly depressing. I miss the Aussie weather.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

I honestly get chills looking at those pictures,I have a hard enough time in winter getting up and going to work when its 4-5 degrees outside thats just some crazy sh*t,lol

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
This winter has been a little sample of how things would be if the warm current of the Gulf Stream quit. Perhaps there should be some preparations, for the future to help those without proper heat etc. It is tragic so many have died.

rads.tudelft.nl...

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Gas prices to heat our homes are taking the piss a bit now too. £30 gas not lasting one week.

Nice pics though OP. Apart from the avalanche victims. I wasn't expecting that pic after the first few stunning ones.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Seems to me that CO2 is not doing its job, I was led to believe CO2 was heating up the world? but perhaps as there is less than one percent of CO2 in the atmosphere, it cannot do it? (last time I looked, CO2 was 383 parts per million, which is less than one percent)
Other sites and newspaper comments are saying the world is warming up, so why so much snow? why snow in Auckland, NewZealand, for the first time in seventy five years?

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
It's all a bit like 'Day after Tomorrow'. That said we in UK have had one of the mildest winters ever - apart from the recent cold snap.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilder

Yeah, I live in timmins ontario and we get -40C with the wind chill quite a few times a year. Its crazy cold

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I'm in England and haven't seen a single flake of snow this year. This is the third year in a row we've had some serious snow across the though. The years before that I don't ever remember getting soo much in a row.
edit on 13-2-2012 by TrueInstinct because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Bilder

living in Europe. Last time i checked, rivers behaved pretty normal to me. another observation: it's winter over here. winters are supposed to be cold. snow might even fall, and ice might appear, but not enough to allow people to skate for more than a couple of days, like in the netherlands

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePeopleParty

Aye im about 20 odd a week in a 2 bedroom flat.

Lookin to invest in a wood burnin stove.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Stark contrast to the US, We've had almost no snow at all on the East coast, some winter days I have been able to go jacket-less. Its been unseasonably warm and our snow fall has been pitfall to say the least. Some trees and flowers recently started to sprout, only to die when they get hit with a cold spell or two.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Welcome to Finland. The winter has been pretty much like normal here, maybe even a bit warmer. About 2 weeks of -20 to -30, otherwise it's been sitting at a comfortable -5 to -15. No dead people here. Gotta feel sorry for those in the south who don't have proper heating.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shred
Welcome to Finland. The winter has been pretty much like normal here, maybe even a bit warmer. About 2 weeks of -20 to -30, otherwise it's been sitting at a comfortable -5 to -15. No dead people here. Gotta feel sorry for those in the south who don't have proper heating.

Same here in Norway. Quite a warm winter. Temps hit only -18C for a couple of nights. Didn't even have to wear my warm jackets, and not a lot of snow. quite disappointing really.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
in south eastern Pennsylvania, Us here and our winter has been lovely. only snowed twice and been in the mid to upper 40's Fahrenheit all winter. we usually run 10-15 F below that and get several feet of snow total each winter. sorry to see people dieing over there from the cold.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Southern Illinois has been warm too. February is usually our coldest month with temps in the teens..like others have said we have gone with no coats for most of this winter. Some days we have reached 70F..No snow yet all winter and just a few more weeks we will be into spring..I don't think we will have winter this year..but now what does that mean for our brutal summers?

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Winter? What winter? I mowed my yard two weekends ago, it's the first time in the nearly 30 years that I've lived in this part of Texas that I've mowed before April. And it was WAY before April. Trees are blooming and starting to push out new leaves. Grass is growing. Bugs that we don't normally see until summer are already popping up all over. Hearing about all the extreme cold weather in Europe is surreal, like it's happening on another planet.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Ain't global warming a wonderful thing? Wait, they knew they were full of sht and called it climate change. Must be out of koolaid.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
That doesn't look much different than every winter here in Michigan. I live on a lake and even though it's been warm, we've still had the usual ice fisherman and ice boats out.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
im going to try and find the information i read about this but till then just take it for what its worth! i read or seen a video about the bp spill in the golf of mexico was causing the water to thicken and that this would effect the jet stream and cause extreme weather in that part of the world. and would ultimatly effect their grow season and end up causing alot of problems. i didn't think much of it at the time but now that this stuff seems to be getting out of hand i just remembered. im at work so when i get home i will find and post more.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join