It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phoenix this... Phoenix that...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I don't know about you guys but I am SO TIRED of UFO shows focusing on the Phoenix lights. It was almost 15 years ago.. why do shows keep going back to this fairly boring event over and over and over as if there aren't far better/newer incidents. I understand it was significant for a time but Jesus, 15 years later and they're still discussing this one case as if it just happened!

I hate sitting down thinking I'm about to enjoy a show featuring some new UFO material I may not be aware of only to be met with another hour stinkin long show about either:
A) The Phoenix Lights
B) Area 51

...we've beat those dead horses 100's of times, cloned them, killed the clones then beat them too.
What in the actual ***SNIP***? Why does it seem like these shows are shut off from the present?

Until very very recently, I noticed the same thing about tornado videos. Its like stations are convinced we only wanna see grainy tornado videos from 1996 and before.

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

edit on February 13th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I suppose it's because the Phoenix Lights is one of the best UFO cases and one of the cases with the most eyewitnesses. I mean, it's always nice to hear about new UFO stories, but I can't really think of too many big UFO events at all between the time of the Phoenix Lights and present day. The only other major cases I can think of are the Needles, CA crash (the story of which seems to have completely dried up), the O'Hare UFO case, and the Illinoise UFO case, but that one has gotten a fair amount of coverage.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Ratings...it's all about ratings, and filling time slots. Plus they save a lot of money just pulling out that 15 year old stock footage. No new guests to pay. No new footage to get a waiver on for use. Like instant rice, just add viewers....

Des

edit on 13-2-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
Ratings...it's all about ratings, and filling time slots. Plus they save a lot of money just pulling out that 15 year old stock footage. No new guests to pay. No new footage to get a waiver on for use. Like instant rice, just add water....

Des

Strangely, I accept this answer and it makes sense. I'm still disgruntled though at the neglect of new investigations.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Charizard
I suppose it's because the Phoenix Lights is one of the best UFO cases and one of the cases with the most eyewitnesses. I mean, it's always nice to hear about new UFO stories, but I can't really think of too many big UFO events at all between the time of the Phoenix Lights and present day. The only other major cases I can think of are the Needles, CA crash (the story of which seems to have completely dried up), the O'Hare UFO case, and the Illinoise UFO case, but that one has gotten a fair amount of coverage.

I think it only seems that way because they only ever focus on the same 2 incidents over and over, retelling the same story. I'm quite sure there's more and better stories now.
1997 = no camera phones exist
2012 = nearly every person near any relatively developed area on earth now owns a cell phone, many of which come factory equipped with a camera. Matter of fact, a youtube search brings up newer stories/documentaries, I just happened to have already seen many of them.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Watts
I don't know about you guys but I am SO TIRED of UFO shows focusing on the Phoenix lights. It was almost 15 years ago.. why do shows keep going back to this fairly boring event over and over and over as if there aren't far better/newer incidents. I understand it was significant for a time but Jesus, 15 years later and they're still discussing this one case as if it just happened!

I hate sitting down thinking I'm about to enjoy a show featuring some new UFO material I may not be aware of only to be met with another hour stinkin long show about either:
A) The Phoenix Lights
B) Area 51

...we've beat those dead horses 100's of times, cloned them, killed the clones then beat them too.
What in the actual f***? Why does it seem like these shows are shut off from the present?

Until very very recently, I noticed the same thing about tornado videos. Its like stations are convinced we only wanna see grainy tornado videos from 1996 and before.

What makes this one of the most boring subjects is that the majority, being believers, believe that those flares were UFOs and that they were seen by x amount over Phoenix. Since they were flares dropped at quite a distance behind a range of mountains no one saw them over Phoenix!.

Additionally, besides the day and night comparison of the main video that's always featured, I saw one video where you see airplane navigation strobes!

Add Roswell, the Hill (Betty and Barney) "case" to this short list.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I agree with you that these two UFO cases are old, boring news. It would be interesting if they investigated the more recent UFO sightings. As for the Phoenix lights they weren't flares and the weren't behind any mountains. The lights were huge, made no sound, and hovered over the city for a long time.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by The Shrike

Oh, Shirke, up to the same old tricks of the debunker. I think I'll call you Carl Sagan junior. You focus on the least credible part of a situation--the government's explanation-- no less--for one evidently unrelated aspect and act like that nails it. Did you forget the many, many eyewitness accounts of people that actually had the large craft pass directly over their heads? Where they could actuall look up into the wells that contained the light sources? Or the tracking of the craft for over 90 miles? Naw! Why should you. That's not a debunker's job.

Again, you can't prove a negative. Why bother?

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Shrike
What makes this one of the most boring subjects is that the majority, being believers, believe that those flares were UFOs and that they were seen by x amount over Phoenix. Since they were flares dropped at quite a distance behind a range of mountains no one saw them over Phoenix!.

Additionally, besides the day and night comparison of the main video that's always featured, I saw one video where you see airplane navigation strobes!

Add Roswell, the Hill (Betty and Barney) "case" to this short list.

A good many believe that they were flares and not the actual UFO that was reported moving silently across AZ. Myself included.

Different time... different place... different witnesses. The flare drop could have been a deliberate distraction or simply an exercise coincidentally scheduled for the same night.

Haven't seen much about Barney and Betty Hill of late.
edit on 13-2-2012 by draknoir2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-2-2012 by draknoir2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Actually, flares being dropped is quite significant. There were reports long before those flares were dropped (as well as after). There is no doubt there were calls prior to the flares. So, why did the military drop flares in sight of the city, for the first and only time, on that night, and no less, in a curved arc? That doesn't seem significant to you?

The flares give the sightings MORE weight, not less. And they certainly did their job - they muddied the waters so thoroughly, that as you say, 15 years later, some people still are not aware that those were flares near Phoenix. There were witnesses that called the airbase in fact, about the UFO, from where later, the "flare flight" originated. So the military got calls about a huge V shaped UFO - and a bit later, they dropped flares in an arc near the city.

But like many, you turn what is an important part of the puzzle into the standard "oh geeze it was only flares you stupid UFO belivers" sort of angle.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
The Phoenix lights are still a popular topic since it is, as stated above, a major event.
To bad though that the misconception of the flares being "the UFO" even occurs in som of those tv shows.

The lights are most likely flares. But what many others, including ex governor Fife Symington saw was a massive object that floated silent over the city. That is the interesting part. Still the focus are on those darn lights.

So I personally welcome more shows about it, where the focus on the object and not the lights.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Watts

A) The Phoenix Lights
B) Area 51

You forgot to add:
C) Roswell

I mean who interested in ufo's hasn't heard of that?????

Do we need more shows on that?

What about Rendelsham?
edit on 2/13/2012 by Chamberf=6 because: holy crap -- I misspelled UFO .......Mondays.......

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Watts

2012 = nearly every person near any relatively developed area on earth now owns a cell phone, many of which come factory equipped with a camera. Matter of fact, a youtube search brings up newer stories/documentaries, I just happened to have already seen many of them.

Ever try taking night video with a cell phone camera? Good luck. Even some of the best on the market wouldn't capture objects in the night sky very well. What something looks like to the naked eye at night, vs even a decent camera, is quite different.

You'd think we'd have more camera pics and vids of daylight sightings though.

I'm still kind of amazed we haven't seen an influx of these after the tech was so widespread.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watts
Strangely, I accept this answer and it makes sense. I'm still disgruntled though at the neglect of new investigations.

WHAT new investigations? The visitors are not currently here so their are no big new cases to investigate.

The plasma critters don't count because you cannot catch them

You know what REALLY irritates me? People that complain about things like this
Why not just NOT ENTER the thread if its all the same old boring crap?

Why do we need to hear the constant rhetoric of people like the shrike who has admitted to going to UFO conventions with the INTENT of causing trouble?

Why not just walk away? I scan the UFO headlines daily, but I rarely find one worth posting in... but when I do... the first few pages are plastered with the same old debunkers rehashing the same old BS.. Okay we get it ...they don't believe... But new members come here because ATS has (had
) a reputation for being THE place on the net to discuss such topics... A new member wants to post a thread on his/her opinion on a subject

ut lately the BS barrage has been so bad with comments like "Use search you idiot" "Its been done a hundred times" and then the usual skeptic brigade will rehash the same old arguments so they can star each other

I have seen some people getting 5 plus stars in just about every thread and the only content they added was "Use search already been done"

So if they bore you... just stay out. Surely there are enough threads here you can find something interesting?

Or better yet... you say "I'm still disgruntled though at the neglect of new investigations"

So do some research and start a thread on a new investigation... How about THAT for a solution instead of whining?

Yeah and I see ya there Skeptical Ed the Shrike...

I suppose it is the debunkers purpose in life to harass newbies to scare them off from posting eh? Well you and your type are doing a fine job of it

So guys stop your bitchin and be part of the solution instead of just adding more noise to the problem

[/rant]

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Well said Zorgon!

And besides,i am sure the people of Pheonix who witnessed this event,whatever it was,feel it is as important a topic now as it was all those years ago!

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Mods should Glue Zorgons post to ever single thread on this forum. So well said I almost shed a tear. Just spot on.

I do aswell feel that ATS have become a pie-tossing contest rather than a forum where people who like to think outside the box can meet and share ideas, speculate about different theories without getting insults and such tossed in their face. When I got to ATS for the first time, there were also skeptics and debunkers ( and they are welcome and needed ), but the tone and the color of the discussions were quite different.

Why is it so hard for some people to just accept than others may think different and believe in different things?
We all have different ways of seeing things. Our own viewpoints. Like the late Ian Xel Lungold ( maya calander man ) said: "- Your viewpoint is sacred. And it's sacred for one reason only....
YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN HAVE IT! "

But OnT... I don't really know where you wanna go with this thread. I still feel it's a shame that people still can't make a difference between the lights and the actual sighting in Phoenix.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

edit on 2/13/2012 by Chamberf=6 because: Double

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

You know what REALLY irritates me? People that complain about things like this Why not just NOT ENTER the thread if its all the same old boring crap?

I suppose it is the debunkers purpose in life to harass newbies to scare them off from posting eh? Well you and your type are doing a fine job of it So guys stop your bitchin and be part of the solution instead of just adding more noise to the problem

The OP said he was talking about shows.

Not ATS threads...

Just saying, since you got hot and bothered over it.

"Be part of the solution" of what is on TV?

Just how many of us here are TV producers or station programmers??

Relax a bit.
edit on 2/13/2012 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
The reason that there are plenty documentaries that take alook into the Roswell, Phoenix Lights, Area 51, Bentwaters etc is because the cases have been around for years. Theres always new evidence, new testimonies or new plans to rehash the cases.

Those cases are just the more popular UFO cases of all times. That makes more producers make more of the documentaries that research them.

Its like a specific Video game, lets say Call of Duty. COD has generated a huge following, so more game companies make more games like COD.

I personally find Phoenix lights docs interesting because the different testominies they get followed by the debate of what it was from believers & skeptics. The footage they use are flares but it still adds to the entire debate of was it this or that. On top of that no one can prove either right or wrong after 15 years.

Also the CONSPIRACY factor plays apart. The bigger UFO cases have some form of supposed coverup.
edit on 13-2-2012 by danaBLAF because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I completely agree, Watts.

It seems these people are too lazy to do any new research. There must be hundreds of documentaries about the Pheonix Lights now, each one copying the previous.

I do believe there is good new sightings and evidence, but it sure doesn't get much attention.

Good post

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join